October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Saturday, July 6, 2013

I Love a Parade

You all know we have kids and grandkids around most of the summer.  Sadly, but naturally, they are growing up and have lots of other things to occupy their time.  They even want to spend time with their own families and friends – can you imagine!!  Bekah and Anna (Portland area granddaughters) got to have a lot of fun on the 4th, in Hood River, Oregon.

hood river
Mt.Hood was putting on a good show for the parade goers.

mt hood
View from the parade route.

We were not able to make it up to the parade so all pictures are from John and his wife Joni (used by permission).  It’s one of those things where I really wanted to go but then what do we do with Poppy while we sit in the sun for a couple of hours.  Sometimes it’s hard, but we had a good day here at home anyway.

Our oldest son, John, (Bekah’s dad) volunteers at WAAAM, an antique car and plane museum in Hood River, OR.  He was privileged to get to drive a 1938 Model A  in the Hood River 4th of July Parade and then across the river in the White Salmon, WA parade.  His dad, Steve, also drove a Model A with a rumble seat and Bekah and Anna got to ride in the rumble seat.

johns ride
John’s ride for the day.

john driving
When John was about 3 years old, his grandpa got him a steering wheel – a REAL steering wheel.  John “drove” that steering wheel around for years and in fact still has it.  He LOVES to drive – can you tell by that contented look on his face?

Steve actually re-built this Model A from the frame up for the museum.
anna and bekah

He really got into the spirit of things by growing a beard and dressing the part.  The girls had a blast.
bekah anna steve

After the Hood River parade, they crossed the bridge into White Salmon and did it all over again.

crossing the bridge

And there you have it – THE END!

8 comments:

  1. I understand completely about staying home to take care of the pups. Skittlez was so happy last night when there weren't any fireworks going off. Her little heart was beating normally - finally. But it is hard to miss out on fun with the kids and grands. I love your end picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking and worrying about your precious Poppy. I love my Cali so very much and to think about ever losing her is unbearable...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That old Model A is a classic - so is the guy driving it!

    John did a terrific job as your blog photographer for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my gosh! I love Hood River and we camped in White Salmon many years ago. We got on a bridge (think it was the same year) crossing over the Columbia. It was so narrow that it "felt" questionable as to whether we could pass a vehicle coming the other way. I took a movie of the whole ride and Rich and I laughed all the way across. When we got settled into the campground and were in bed, out of the blue he said, "I think maybe we should leave about 3 a.m. on Wednesday." I asked him (knowing), Why so early? He said, "Just thought we'd get an early start." I bet people could hear us laughing across the river.

    Spent a nice afternoon with by sons and daughters-in-law and grandchildren. We went up to get pizza to celebrate July birthdays. Only Susan was missing. She's in Breckinridge, CO. Poor baby. :) Had a great time. The girls are so funny. They were cutting up saying they wanted to set me up with a white-haired gentlemen who works for the pizza place. I had to threaten them with their lives.

    I've given up going many places to be with the pups where they would be comfortable. That's why Poppy loves you so much. I hit the west in a very cool year so it was perfect for Jack…except for a few days meeting Susan in Las Vegas…Ugh!

    My kids say they want to be reincarnated as Jack. I smile when I think of Lizzie and feel very good that I always saw to her comfort, and I don't even remember what I missed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A quiet 4th at home, whatever "home" means at the time, can be quite satisfactory. Ours was quiet all day, but the park put on a fireworks show (very amateur, but fun) that evening. You take care of Poppy, she's special to all us readers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice rides! Parades are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the photo of John, the girls and the car. How cool is that! He does look great.

    I love local parades so much better than those big showy ones on TV. It brings home the USA spirit. Everyone in the parade and watching have such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We spent the 4th with our cats so we understand

    ReplyDelete