October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Sunday, July 21, 2013

40 years and Counting

Wow, can’t believe it’s been 40 years ago today that Russ and I said our vows and joined our lives.  GOOD LORD, WHAT WERE WE THINKING??? 
wedding2 001

We were young and dumb some would say.  A couple who had only known each other for a very short time, both with a couple of kids.

Russ, a widower for only 6 weeks with two tiny boys, and me, the young divorcee with two young children.  It will never last, they said!

early donna 005


But they were wrong.  I’m pretty sure we’re going to make it!





We’ve changed a lot through the years.

1975 001
early donna 018





 
Don’t know if that’s good or bad!!





1975 003


1975






1977 001



                                           1977




us 1981 001


1978






1980 001



                                           1980




us 003


1985






square dancers 001



1989





1995 003




1995





hult center



                                          2003





And it went downhill from there!!

us 008













Things have not always been easy.  We’ve had our troubles and shed some tears along the way.  But overall we were so happy with our decision that we did it all over again on an Alaska Cruise in 2004.
ship wedding 007

I guess that really seals the deal – no getting out of it now!  So since we’ve made it to 40, we may as well hang in there and go for the golden 50! 

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY RUSS - I LOVE YOU!!!

37 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sweetheart, and you know I love you, too.
    Hard to remember that we actually looked like that back through the years. Hard to remember a lot of things, anymore, it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you two. So sweet. I'm so happy that sometimes people make it all the way. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fun to see those pictures as the years went by. As you said, time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very happy anniversary to you both. What a very special story you have. God just knew you two belonged together. Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos. What fun to see how you two have matured and how love does last!!! Against all odds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We have seen the hand of God in our marriage and in our lives innumerable times over the years. Were it not for our faith and our trust in the Savior, things might have been very different.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations to the two of you, 40 years in this day and age is quite an accomplishment. Might as well just go for 60.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just might do that!! (if we can manage to stay on the right side of the grass!!)

      Delete
  6. Wishing you and Russ happiness forever. From what I can glimpse through your blog, you've had a very happy, happy, marriage. You were beautiful 40 years ago, and you're beautiful, today. Wishing you many, many more years of bliss. "…the best is yet to be." ~ Robert Browning

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute post! You guys are adorable. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are such an inspiration - it's nice to know a couple can be married 40 years and still be so happy and have so much fun together. I know it's not always easy, but you worked through things and made it. Good for you - and congratulations on your 40th!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always do such a great job on your retrospectives!! Great pictures!! You guys were foxes, not that you aren't now, but you know what I mean!!! What a neat thing you found each other and followed your hearts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always bring a smile to my face... and this time it's a HUGE smile, spread all the way across. What a wonderful couple you two are... Happy, Happy anniversary... and many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy anniversary you two! For some reason, you I shed a tear reading your post. Such a sweet couple.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet post...I loved all the pictures of years gone by. Time does fly...especially when you are having fun and in love!

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Donna, loved the post. Don't know how you put up with all those wild hairstyles Russ had thru the years... :cD

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it when they say it won't last and you prove them wrong. With the Lord as the third party it's amazing the obstacles you can overcome. My folks made it to 67 years. Since I got married so late in life I'm not sure we'll see 40 but I'm sure hoping we do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy 40th anniversary to you. Here's hoping the next 40 goes as great as the first 40.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Anniversary, you two crazy kids! If you had each had another little one, you could have been the Brady Bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post, Donna. You've aged like a fine wine while Russ ..... well, you know what happens to old grapes!!

    Congrats to you both on a wonderful marriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick - Poor Russ he gets no respect!!

      Delete
  18. Happy Anniversary! You guys have a great family and always have a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations. What adventures you've had together. Love your photos.

    Hope you are painting the town red.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is such a sweet story!! Congratulations to you and Russ on your anniversary! :) Wishing you many more years of happiness!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Anniversary to you both! Congratulations on making 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Anniversary! I love the pictures of the years gone by. May you have many more happy years together!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Anniversary to my favorite couple...my favorite sister and brother in law. You guys are awesome and I can't believe it is really letting me leave a message on here. I have tried so many times...now we will see if you get it. Glad we got in a little celebration today. Love ya both.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yeah...it worked...I had to check anonymous...so now I can leave you comments and you will know who they are from anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fine job on all the photos. History well laid out. Sure is a long time to be with one person. You guys are troopers. Kelly & I are coming up on 20 years & that's a record for me. All the best to you both in your next 40:))

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Anniversary! Enjoyed your post, especially the pictures. Jim and I decided to get married 3 weeks after we met. The wedding was 5 weeks later. 30 years and we're still together, so sometimes these things are just meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would like to say congratulations also on such an awesome accomplishment. What a legacy to leave your children. It is nice to know people who can make it and still be in love. Wonderful photos too. It will be 32 for us in Aug.
    Sorry I've been gone for so long, no computer.

    ReplyDelete
  28. great pictorial history. I see he went thru that curly hair phase.

    ReplyDelete
  29. When God closes a door he opens a window. I'm so glad that Russ found you after he lost his wife. Loved the "blast from the past" photos!"

    ReplyDelete