We said a sad goodbye to Poppy today. I will write a more complete tribute later but I wanted to let Poppy run free on this blog.
Poppy was most assuredly Russ’s dog but when it came to games, she was mostly mine!! We had a couple of favorites…one was “Fight over the blankie” and the other was “Run, Poppy, Run.” That was our favorite. The game was played with me clapping my hands and hollering, “Run, Poppy, Run.” Her part was to tear through the house at breakneck speed – from the bedroom, through the hall and the living room, to the kitchen, where she would skid to a halt and turn around and race the other way. She never did like to play this game much outside, but she sure liked to tear through the house. Even within the last month or so, she would make little attempts to walk fast on the straight shot through the living room, pretending to play “Run, Poppy, Run.”
Poppy was camera shy and regardless of how I tried to get a picture of her running through the house, she mostly managed to avoid the camera. I have one shot clip in the middle of this video that shows a small part of her house run.
So Poppy my love, this is for you. Run, Poppy, Run….I will catch up to you some day and we’ll play a few rounds of “Fight over the blankie” too.
Run, Poppy, run; run wild and free
With legs that are strong now and eyes that can see
Run, Poppy, run with the wind in your face
Run Poppy run, to a happier place
She certainly did love to make snow angels. It's good to think of her being free from the many physical problems she had encountered over the past few years. We're feeling better remembering all the good times we've had with our dogs. So glad we've got so many good pictures and videos of them. They're both in a better place.
ReplyDeleteI am so terribly sorry for the loss of your beloved Poppy. Your blog made me cry. I know the pain in your heart at this moment. But she was well loved and she loved you back, which is what is most important.
ReplyDeleteMaybe she met up with my Maggie, who could no longer run either and together they are chasing squirrels and running like the wind.
Donna and Russ, again, my heart is with you both this evening. I hope you find comfort and joy in memories of the good times and the love you shared with Poppy as a member of your family. She will most certainly be waiting for you at The Rainbow Bridge when the time comes. Until that joyous reunion, know that she indeed runs free once again. My love to you both tonight and the coming days.
ReplyDeleteWe have loved Poppy from afar and miss her so much even though we never met her. So sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteDonna and Russ, Joe and I are so sad to hear about Poppy's passing today. Your blog made us both have tears. We wish we were there to give you hugs. I too am glad you have so many pictures and video's of her. Your tribute to her in poetry was beautiful. I don't know who loved who the most. You two loving Poppy, or Poppy loving you.((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))
ReplyDeleteOh I can feel your sadness. Poppy was a beautiful dog. I enjoyed your video. When our animals are happy I am happy too. When they are suffering I am suffering. Rest in peace Poppy.
ReplyDeleteOh dear - even though we all knew Poppy would be leaving soon, that doesn't make it easier. She is running free now, just like in your poem. There are lots of tears in blogland today.
ReplyDeleteJust feels like there have been too many loses lately.... makes me feel so sad for you... I am glad you have such happy memories. As you know, we all loved Poppy.
ReplyDeleteI am SO SORRY! Our pets are family members too. I also got the news today about my cousins dog today and our Duchess' friend. It's so sad. We all got to know Poppy through your blog. We'll all miss Poppy.
ReplyDeleteThat's tough, may the good memories sustain you.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. I can see by watching the video she was a very special puppy. I'm sure you will have so many fond memories.
ReplyDeleteSo sad... Goodbye Poppy...run free from pain pretty one.
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm so sorry. You and Russ have given her a good life.
ReplyDeleteRun Poppy run, hope you meet my Odie dog, she loved to run on the beaches.
ReplyDeleteSadie will run for you Poppy, as this is her favorite indoor game too...she's a little streak. So Sadie run Sadie run for Poppy.
ReplyDeleteMy heart is broken. Even though I know you did the right thing for Poppy, I'm so sorry. I sure hope she finds my Ginger and they are chasing rabbits together. You and Russ gave her the best life ever filled with more love than can ever be comprehended. Please know that I'm sending you both hugs and I wish I could do it in person.
ReplyDeleteOh.... saw that header and started crying... so sorry for you both... I KNOW we will see our pets someday!
ReplyDeleteNo matter how expected, it's still a shock. You certainly gave her a wonderful life and she repaid you with love and lots of good memories.
ReplyDeleteThere are no words right now that can take away the pain I know you are feeling. Everyone of us who love our dogs the way you love Poppy is hurting with you. As I type the tears are running down my face. Please know how sorry I am for your loss. I know how much you loved her and you gave her a home that was the best. Now you will have the memories to cherish. Our thoughts are with you both. A beautiful tribute!
ReplyDeleteAs I said on Facebook, I am so sorry for your loss, Donna and Russ. Run wild and free, Poppy!
ReplyDeleteOh Donna and Russ: I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your sweet Poppy. She was very smart to have found you two to give her such a loving and fun life. Run Poppy Run! :)
ReplyDeleteMelinda
Run, Poppy, run! Say hi to my Bill for me
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteThinking of you both and sending lots of love your way ..... Pet families feel your pain .... It hurts time and again when I share the loss of a family pet with friends ....
It is sooooo soothing to have all the memories and sweet habits to fall back on ....all the favorite stuff that was SOOOOOOOOO POPPY !!!!!! Sir Duke and I are thinking of you and sending puppy tail wags and hugs all around !!!!!!
Hugs and kisses from the Taylor clan. I am so sorry.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about your beloved Poppy. Maybe she will meet our Lucy and they can run together in doggie heaven. God bless!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss of sweet Poppy. Sent you a note as soon as I heard. I am sure Rusty was right there waiting for her. Hugs to both of you
ReplyDeletethose who have loved and lost a beloved pet know exactly how you feel at this very sad time..Run Poppy Run..Tucker will run for you as will all the other dogs in blogville!!
ReplyDeletehugs to you both..may the special memories you hold dear help heal the pain.
:*(
Poppy will be missed, no doubt.
ReplyDeleteSuch a sweet little scout
Who loved you unconditionally
and was a pup initially,
now grown and gone,
but your memories live on and on.
I'm sad for you. You loved poppy so very much and gave her the best life possible. That was a lovely video. She put a big grin on my face.
ReplyDeleteI admire you for the way you made these last few months special. Lots of lovely memories. Hopefully they will soften the pain.
Blessings
I'm so sorry for your loss. Poppy was a trooper and you guys did a great job walking with her through her final months. I'm sure she will be very missed. Hugs to you both.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. Poppy was a trooper and you guys did a great job walking with her through her final months. I'm sure she will be very missed. Hugs to you both.
ReplyDeletePaul and I are heart broken over your loss. I think we both grew to love Poppy too.
ReplyDeleteThe poem is lovely and Susan addition makes it that much more lovely.
Please know you are both in our thoughts and prayers. I hope one day to run free and meet Poppy up close and personal. What fun that will be.
What a lovely tribute to your Poppy, showing her running and having a great time. And your poem at the end was another good tribute. We are so glad we got to meet Poppy, and did not realize she had gone on to doggy heaven when we sent the picture yesterday. She was a dear, and we know you are hurting. We share your sorrow.
ReplyDeleteIt is with a sad, heavy heart I send you our love and condolences. Mike and I know so well your pain at the loss of Poppy. I am so glad you have so many wonderful memories, pictures and videos to look back on and remember your sweet Poppy. Yes, she will be happy to see you,one day,at the Rainbow Bridge! Until then, hold strong to your memories! Sending hugs and love your way!!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for the loss of your wonderful Poppy. You had so many wonderful memories with her and so many good times traveling with her. You know she is now in a better place and with less pain. It will be a tough trying to get used to not having her I am sure, but you will have the fantastic memories.
ReplyDeleteI saw your blog title pop up on my sidebar last night but couldn't bring myself to open your post until this morning as I knew it meant you and Russ had lost your beloved Poppy.
ReplyDeletePaulette and I are extremely sad to hear this news but take solace in the fact that no dog could have had a more loving home and a wonderful, full, long life.
You and Russ did everything you could for Poppy and there's no doubt in my mind she always knew that.
There are no words to console at this time except the word 'time'. Take care, grieve as you must and time will eventually heal the pain.
Hi Russ and Donna...Finally made it to your wonderful blog. Seems like we have spent half the summer with you. Nola and I want to express our thanks for the boondocking opportunity in Eugene with our Lazy Daze. And...we were saddened by your loss of Poppy. What a sweet dog and companion. So with a grateful heart we send you hugs as we leave for a Volunteer assigment at Port Orford with the Oregon State Parks. Hope you will come and see us as part of your summer travels. Lunch is on us!
ReplyDeleteI'm so very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you. Poppy is at peace, watching over you and will be with you again one day. I do believe that.
ReplyDeleteNina
Beautiful and touching tribute.
ReplyDeleteI hope I can stop crying long enough to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. I felt like I knew and loved Poppy because you and Russ have always talked about her with such affection. I knew it was coming, but I didn't want to read it. Sobbing like a fool.
ReplyDeleteI wish I knew adequate words of comfort, but then I know you will comfort each other with your fond memories of her, and we all know what a wonderful life you gave her. Thanks for sharing Poppy with us. She was a wonderful pup, and is now at peace--no more pain. Run, Poppy, Run--what a nice tribute. Hope she's at rainbow bridge with Rich, Lizzie, Rusty and all the other wonderful pups we've had to let go.
I think I posted this for Rusty and I know it comforted me after I set Lizzie free. I hope it comforts you.
Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me. Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me know. Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear. When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to the bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper. Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger. And, beloved master, should the great master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you, rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands provide me the merciful boon of eternal rest, and I will leave you knowing with the last breath, I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.
Author unknown
i have absolutely no doubt that my Doc Holliday, Annie Oakley, and Billy the Kid were all there just awaitin your poppy as she arrived! (they will take good care of her, worry not)
ReplyDeleteHi Russ and Donna--you may remember me posting about my husband Ron's retired guide dog Rusty some time back when you were writing about Poppy's decline. We share your grief today, especially since we also said our sad farewell to Rusty twelve days ago, the most difficult decision we have ever made. The grief is almost overwhelming sometimes, but we also feel his spirit around us, and talk to him every day. It is our sincere prayer and belief that Poppy, Rusty, and so many deeply loved "fur kids" are all running free now without pain or diminished capacity, and we will truly all be reunited again someday. We try to focus on the gift he was in our lives, as I am sure you also feel about your dear Poppy. Love and light to you as you grieve and heal.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful touching tribute to a wonderful friend and companion. Their unconditional love is to be treasured. My heart goes out to you in this time of loss.
ReplyDeleteCandy
It's good to see how many people loved Popply. I don't know why my post didn't go through--I was upset and may not have hit publish. I won't be as long winded this time. I knew it was coming, but still I had a difficult time getting myself back together so I could tell you how very sorry I am. I posted a piece which says what we all feel. You were everything to Poppy during life and you helped her pass over into a place where there is no pain. She left you with many happy memories. Though I never had the pleasure and honor of meeting her, we knew her through your words. She will be missed, as Rusty is, by all who read your blog. I'm so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to read about Poppy. Always enjoyed your stories and photos of her.
ReplyDeleteI'm so, so, so, so sorry to read about your loss. Words can't express the sentiments, so I won't try. Cherish the memories and know that she is now free of her pains and aches.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for your loss. My two doggies are sending you little wet kisses. Pet lovers experience this pain over and over again but it will lessen and new pets come into our lives.
ReplyDeleteA great tribute! She was lucky to have found you.
ReplyDeleteJust read about you losing Poppy. It is so difficult saying goodbye to our best Pals. It's a heart wrenching time to make that final decision. But it is a decision that turns a corner. Tough week for you but as you know time is on your side & is the only thing that will begin easing your loss. Kelly & I well know & understand your sad feelings at this time. Run Poppy run & know that you are loved by all.
ReplyDeleteSo sad to lose a member of the family but Poppy is running free and painless now. Take care and God bless you in your sorrow. Judy & John from Rvlifeonwheels
ReplyDeleteWe're so sorry for your loss of Poppy. Ken & Jan
ReplyDeleteI sit here and look at my "best girl" Cali and am so glad that she came into my life.
ReplyDeleteIt's so sad to lose a treasured pet, and I'm so sorry for your loss. Rest in the fact that Poppy was loved and provided a wonderful relationship that time can never take away...
Our hearts go out to you as you go through this time of missing Poppy. She surely was beloved and you have done a beautiful job of memorializing her special spirit through your blog.
ReplyDeleteOh I am in tears. I saw your vid on YT a few days ago but didn't know she had passed on. As you know, I adored her without ever actually meeting her. The care & love ya'll had was so special. She'll live on in your hearts & souls. {{Many hugs to ya'll}}
ReplyDeleteThank you TexCyn. She was one special pup for sure.
DeleteWell I'm always a day (or several) late but regardless my condolences to you and Russ. What a beautiful tribute to your adorable Poppy.
ReplyDeleteDonna, Russ, I'm so very sorry. I've been in PA and didn't have access to wifi so I didn't know about Poppy's passing. She was such a beautiful lady and loving companion to you both and even tho I never got to meet her, I felt like I knew her from all your wonderful posts. She had a loving family who took the greatest of care of her right to the end. That is all any of us could ask for. I love your tribute-to see her running when she felt good did my heart good. I'm so thankful that she had u both to love and love her. It is my belief that she is running free with a healthy body now, able to see and hear and enjoy all the fantastic smells. From all your posts I can see that she taught us all some things about how to live our last days. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I'm crying so hard I can barely see the keyboard, please know that although I'm late to see the post, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Russ. Thank you so much for sharing the beautiful pictures and posts with us and allowing us to love her from afar. I pray that you both will have more peace as each day passes, knowing that Poppy is watching from above. God bless you both for sharing your life with these wonderful angels called dogs and for giving them the best care on this earth. My prayers remain with you both. Love, Judie
ReplyDeleteDonna, Russ, I'm so very sorry. I've been in PA and didn't have access to wifi so I didn't know about Poppy's passing. She was such a beautiful lady and loving companion to you both and even tho I never got to meet her, I felt like I knew her from all your wonderful posts. She had a loving family who took the greatest of care of her right to the end. That is all any of us could ask for. I love your tribute-to see her running when she felt good did my heart good. I'm so thankful that she had u both to love and love her. It is my belief that she is running free with a healthy body now, able to see and hear and enjoy all the fantastic smells. From all your posts I can see that she taught us all some things about how to live our last days. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I'm crying so hard I can barely see the keyboard, please know that although I'm late to see the post, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Russ. Thank you so much for sharing the beautiful pictures and posts with us and allowing us to love her from afar. I pray that you both will have more peace as each day passes, knowing that Poppy is watching from above. God bless you both for sharing your life with these wonderful angels called dogs and for giving them the best care on this earth. My prayers remain with you both. Love, Judie
ReplyDelete