So imagine how entertained we were when the workers began laying in our new curb! It started with the rumble and growl of the big cement mixer early in the morning.
Then we heard a mysterious clanging sound, like metal on metal, but the truck was just sitting there. Russ went out to investigate and found there was some kind of problem with the whatchamacallit or the thingamajig. First the guy in the orange vest tried to fix it, then the guy in the green vest took over but it still wouldn’t work, so the guy in the orange took the job on again.
Which all goes to show, if it doesn’t work, just get a bigger hammer!! They did eventually get the doohickey fixed and the truck started to roll.
There are actually two parts to this process. The concrete truck in the front sends glops of concrete up a conveyor belt and where the glops are dropped into a bin on the extruder. The extruder then lays a two level ribbon of concrete and the men go along and smooth it out with trowels. That’s gotta be back breaking work.
The yellow arrow in the picture below shows a level line and the guide that the truck follows. The red arrow shows where the concrete is extruded into the desired shape.
The concrete truck and the extruder move independently. The extruder goes slowly along and when it starts getting too close, the truck inches forward. There is a very brave man who stands between the machines to tell the truck when to move, or maybe it's to keep the concrete spout in the right place! At any rate, I don't think I would want that job! Here’s how it all works.
Once the concrete ribbon is extruded, it looks like this.
They will finish off the street side to match the height of the curb and on the other side will be a narrow planting strip (what a waste!!) and then the sidewalk.
The last step was a guy going along in a truck spraying water on everything. I guess he was the rain-man!
This is what our driveway looks like now. No ingress, no egress!!
It could be as long as two weeks before we can use the driveway again but we are hoping for a shorter time frame. It all depends on when the work gets done and then how long the concrete needs to cure.
See, I told you we are easily entertained and I’m sure there will be more excitement next week. Stay tuned to the Concrete Channel for the next episode of “Curb Your Enthusiasm.”
I am so impressed that you were able to learn that technical jargon so quickly. You might replace Russ as chief foreman on this job.
ReplyDeleteI love that you so quickly mastered all the right words and definitions for all that work. Bill would love to be sitting in a lawn chair and overseeing all that work... he might use a few different words than you ;-) But, I'll bet the end result would be the same!
ReplyDeleteI think the guy with the sledge hammer was using a few different words too!!
DeleteAnd I thought our Osprey family was exciting. So does that mean you won't have a lowered curb for your drive way? Or did I miss something in all that technical jargon?
ReplyDeleteThere is a 30' curb cut for the driveway. But right now that "cut" is about 6" above the level of the gravel and the street - no way to go over it. They will even it all out when the rest of the pouring is done.
DeleteI once extruded a concrete ribbon, but I blame the morphine.
ReplyDeleteYou can delete this. I'm embarrassed for myself.
I can commiserate with you!!!
DeleteThis was a good distraction from our fire situation in Idyllwild
ReplyDeleteThat's a terrible fire - feel so bad for those who lost their homes.
DeleteYou completely lost me with all that technical language. Next time I will know to keep a dictionary handy.
ReplyDeleteI think they said also something about a Wingnut, but they were looking at Russ so I'm not sure what that means!!
DeleteIf I had to pick one of those jobs it would be the water truck driver. Know what you mean by being entertained by simple things. We rush to the window when a car goes by. While extruding your extruderatormagator you certainly did get yourself edumacated on the finer art of extruderation. Extruderatingly exciting I'd say. Ok, time to extrude myself out of here....
ReplyDeleteThanks for clearing that up!! Your comment was extrudemely entertaining!!
DeleteIs “Curb Your Enthusiasm” on DVD? It might make a great Christmas gift.
ReplyDeleteNothing like a little entertainment on a hot summer day.
ReplyDeleteGreat explanation and videos of the curb process. I love watching other folks work too. You must have used a dictionary to construct this blog - lots of big words!
ReplyDeleteSounds like real curb appeal to me.
ReplyDeleteJust goes to prove everyone should keep a big hammer in their RV! :c)
ReplyDeleteunderstood it all. around here they must allow you access to property and road. they have been going wild adding right turn lanes and curbs and everyone affected is given complete access
ReplyDeleteafraid you are nicer than me. i'd be screaming to high heaven
I love your "inventive" technical language. Now if only there was a way to take out the "slant" of my driveway at home!
ReplyDelete