Brookings is the southernmost city on the Oregon coast. You go any farther and you'll be in California, and we wouldn't want that!! Brookings is known as the Banana Belt of the Oregon coast. Although they have their overcast days, it is still usually warmer than anywhere else along the Oregon coast.
We last visited in August 2008. Unfortunately, on that trip, we experienced some of that low overcast, but the temperatures were still warm.
We stayed at a Best Western located directly on the beach. Although it was a bit spendy, it was worth it for the view and the sounds of the ocean.
The room was large and clean and well furnished. We ended up in a spa room as that was all they had left. That's what we get for traveling without making reservations ahead of time. We neither wanted nor used the spa but that room is about $50 more than just a basic ocean-front room. Live and learn.
![]() |
| The spa tub was more like a hot tub. It was HUGE. I was worried that we could get in but maybe not back out again! |
![]() |
| The king-sized bed was very comfortable. The easy chair and ottoman were perfect for surf-gazing or reading. |
![]() |
| I really liked the additional seating options. Plenty of room to stretch out. |
| The seagulls stopped by regularly looking for a handout. |
If you are traveling by RV, there is an RV park right next door to the hotel, http://www.port-brookings-harbor.org/. Most of the campers were fishermen and it appeared they were there for the season. But it is a nice place to park for a day or two and it is RIGHT on the beach.
![]() |
| See my happy face... |
![]() |
| Look ma, I'm a walrus |
Right across the street from the hotel is a great little gift shop and restaurant. We had breakfast there every morning. The Early Bird special was a great deal and Russ enjoyed his to the max.
He's just a laugh a minute!! Does anyone else, beside Russ and Nellie, play with their food?
Just north of town is Harris Beach State Park. That is where I took the photo that appears on the title page of this blog. It is a beautiful rugged area, with many picturesque rocks. Bird Island is the largest island off the Oregon coast, and is the breeding ground for the rare tufted puffin. This National Wildlife Sanctuary is part of Harris Beach State Park. The park also has a day use area and a campground with full hook-up RV spaces and yurts for rent. We didn't see any tufted puffins but we did see plenty of the not-so-rare sea gull.
When the sun goes down, some people gather on the beach for bonfires. One night when we were there, there was quite a party going on, but they were not loud and obnoxious - just having a good time.
| That is the moonrise, not the sunset! |
| Looks like they were having a good time |
There are many pelicans in the area and they are a sight to behold. My dad used to love quoting this little limerick to all his kids and grandkids:
A wonderful bird is the pelican
His beak can hold more than his belly can
He can hold in his beak
Enough food for a week
And I'm sure I don't see how the hell he can
I have continued the tradition with my grandkids. They think it's soooo funny that grandma says a "naughty" word! Of course you've got to say it like "helican" but they still giggle...and then go repeat it to the parents!
| Two pelicans trying to get home before sunset... |
And as the sun sets slowly into the west...
| Sunset at Brooking, OR |
When we left Brookings, we drove south to Crescent City and took a section of the Redwood Highway (US 199) to Grants Pass. We stopped at Stout Grove and walked through the redwoods. More on that tomorrow but here's a sneak peak.





Absolutely LOVED that area, the Oregon Coast is the most beautiful of all the coasts we have seen so far.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your trip, we had nothing but fog and frigid temperatures back in November when we made that trip.
I know that Brookings is considered a "Banana Belt" area in the winter, but we never seem to make it down there in the winter. We've driven through Brookings many times, but we never seem to have time to stay in that area for a few days.
ReplyDeleteI just ran across your blog and had to tell you that I just got back to Ohio from staying in Brookings, at the Best Western Beachfront Inn, in (I think) that very room on the first floor. I have many similar photos, but you are the better cameraman. I love the moonrise shot! Wish I could've gotten that.
ReplyDeleteBrookings is a great little beach!
J.F.- Ohio