One of my favorite places in Eugene is Hendricks Park. Situated close to the University of Oregon, the park encompasses 78 mostly forested acres. Located within the park are 6000 varieties of plants, many of them showcased in the formal rhododendron garden. The park also features many hiking trails, two covered picnic shelters and a small playground. Although the rhodies and most of the flowering plants are at their best in the spring and early summer, this park is still a peaceful respite all year long from the cacophony of the city. Following are some of the photos I have taken over the years during our visits to Hendricks Park. This is not a major tourist destination but if you are ever in Eugene, I hope you will take the time to visit.
 |
| Welcome to the Rhododendron Garden. There is much more here than just rhodies. |
 |
| I think this is a camellia. |
For as many flowers as I grow at home, you would think I would be more informed about the names of these flowers. Some I know but I don't want to appear a fool so I'll just let their beauty speak for them. After all, a rose by any other name....
I hope this just whets your appetite to see more of the beauty in Eugene. Most places that I mention here in my posts can be researched online so I try not to bore with too many details. Would love to share my fair city with readers who might be passing through.
Small neighborhood parks are gems to be visited; that's been our experience here in VA as well.
ReplyDelete