The weather was just wonderful for the drive and the coast was beautiful. There was a low hanging fog bank on the horizon and the wind was a bit chilly, but it didn’t really matter. When the sun comes out in Oregon, you got to take advantage of it. We went first to Newport and stopped at Nye Beach. There is a whale skeleton (pieces anyway) at the state park there.
It was sunny away from the beach but that foggy wind was sure cold right by the shore. If you look close you can see a couple of people with dogs by the water line about 2/3 of the way up the beach.
Here they are zoomed in on, almost obscured by the fog. I think they look cold!!
The Yaquina Bay bridge is always beautiful but the fog just added another dimension.
We enjoyed a sunny walk along the historic bay front but the chill wind chased us back to the car before long.
We always like to stop at the Adobe for lunch. Not only is the food outstanding, the view is great too, with large windows overlooking the rocky Yachats coastline. I didn’t get a picture of the view this time – we were too busy eating and harassing one another! But you can see all the windows in this picture.
I love driving from north to south along the coast and since I was driving, that’s what we did. Going south you are right on the edge for much of the drive and the view is always impressive. There are lots of places to stop and grab a quick picture.
“Matter of fact, I CAN read….and just who do you think you are telling to move along?”
I always love this view when you come around the curve and see the huge Heceta Beach stretched out in front of you. The fog was spotty but still hanging around.
Just a word about how great our Poppy is. She rode along the entire day and we barely knew she was there. She had to ride clear in the back because Brian and Laila took her normal seats – the very nerve!! But she never made a sound and obediently climbed onto the third seat and was a good girl the whole time. She got out at each stop and walked around a bit, then wanted back in the car. She is teaching us so much about growing old gracefully. I can only hope that I am as nice an old lady as our Poppy is.
Sounds like a great day. I sure Russ will let us know about that nice old lady thing.
ReplyDeleteI can assure you, John, she certainly is!
DeleteI meant someday...when I get old!!!
DeleteSo nice to see photos of our great coast. Our chilly, windy coast. Which is why we are heading to Death Valley, to bake out the moss on our backs!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a good day, all in all... Maybe we should have gone on further??? Oh, well.. a judgement call and we had a great drive over the mountain and she got a good rest for leaving this morning.. Great pictures!!!
ReplyDeleteOh, I love your chilly, windy coast. Nothing a couple of layers of clothing can't cure. I'm with you, too, Donna. Fog does add another dimension on the coast and along the Columbia. We always hit it just right with few days of rain--sunshine. The times we had rain, we had rain gear from head to foot. Well, you know how I could go on about "your" coast. I can almost smell the fresh clean air when I see your pictures and hear your descriptions. Glad you had a great day…but how could it not be great on the coast.
ReplyDeletePoppy really is a sweet lady. She seems so laid back--probably just glad to be with you. Dog ask for so little and give so much in return.
Dogs are great, aren't they? I have my son's Weimaraner this week. He and Jack are sleeping on the couch, together. After going down to my son's to take pictures of my granddaughters prom, I put him in the truck. He did very well. I was afraid he'd fight the harness, but he didn't. In fact, he laid down and went to sleep half way home. Michael is leaving on business in the morning so it saved him a trip to drop him off at my house.
I'm sure Poppy would rather be with you than not. Growing old gracefully isn't easy. :)
ReplyDeleteI love the coast... been nearly 3 years since we've been up that way... your photos make me want to be there again. So glad Poppy is doing so well!
ReplyDeleteYou do Oregon proud through your beautiful pictures and we enjoy the ride!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pics today. Yes, your sister is going to get you back ;-)
ReplyDeletePoppy. I love Poppy! Please give her a hug.
Wonderful pictures of a stunning Oregon day. So glad that Poppy is doing well. I'm sure it is in part because you are able to read her needs so well and adapt.
ReplyDeleteI loved your pictures. I also love the Oregon coast. Well, I love the Washington coast too. That's where we were today but probably won't write the blog until tomorrow or maybe the next day.
ReplyDeleteIt's kind of sad when the weather inland is much better than at the coast. But hey, it's the coast--we enjoy it in all kinds of weather!
ReplyDeleteYou two are so fortunate! Straight shot to the beach! Someday...............
ReplyDeleteI love looking at your pictures of the coast. So beautiful. Someday we're going to see them again ourselves. I think our Scooter will be a graceful old lady but there is absolutely no hope for our Skitz. She is the Tramp to Scooter's Lady.
ReplyDeleteI read your blog and decided to leave a comment this time. My husband & I love the Oregon coast and it is our favorite destination. Your travel descriptions and pictures make us long even more for the coast, even in the rain & mist. Walking our dogs in the wetness of the coastline there is a pleasure. (especially if we're wearing raingear!)
ReplyDeleteLove those whale bones - wow!
ReplyDeleteFog or no fog, the Oregon coast is always beautiful to see. Great photos - brought back some great memories of our visit there just a few weeks back. I agree that the drive north to south is better too!
ReplyDeleteSince you stopped for breakfast and lunch, I'm guessing Russ must have been in charge of that job!
Nice to hear Poppy is out and about and still enjoying her little trips.
So glad you had a beautiful day! Love the bridge pics!
ReplyDeleteHappy to hear that Poppy is doing so well. Great photos.
ReplyDeleteSuch lovely beaches ... even if it is on the cold side ... bundle up and go for a quiet walk in the fog. Sounds like a plan to me.
ReplyDeleteNothing beats the Oregon coast and that Yaquina Bridge is lovely. Thanks for taking us along.
ReplyDelete