October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Friday, April 12, 2013

Just Coasting and Russ is the BIG winner!!

Thank you all for the nice birthday wishes for Russ.  His sense of humor – and our marriage – are still intact so I guess no permanent damage was done!  To make up for my poking him, I told Russ we would do whatever he liked on his birthday yesterday. 

We started out with breakfast on the road and then headed to the coast.  Decided to make a quick stop at the casino in Florence for a free soda.
P1030514
We were surprised to see their fountain was tinted a bright blue – don’t know what that was all about.  Inside, Russ stuck a ten dollar bill in the Fishing Derby machine while I went to fetch the sodas.  By the time I got back with the drinks he was finishing his game and to my surprise, he cashed out.  We walked away with $113.95!!  Paid for the entire day.  Now that’s a deal that can’t be beat.

We drove out on the South P1030530Jetty Road at the south end of Florence.  The weather was partly cloudy but the wind was ICY!  There is a $5 day use fee for this area but it is free with the America the Beautiful pass.
There are several places to stop and climb over the dunes to the ocean but it’s a bit too steep for us.




It can be dangerous out near the end of the jetty.
DSCN0620

But not so much today!!
DSCN0621
Still, we were careful to stay back from the edge.

There is a crab fishing pier along the jetty that gets a lot of use in season.
DSC_6706

But the biggest attractions are the OHV staging areas.  We stopped at one of the steepest just in time to see this fella make a run for the top.
DSCN0634

DSCN0635

DSCN0636

That run is almost straight up and down.  Sure don’t want to lose your nerve and let up on the gas halfway to the top!!
From Florence we drove south on 101 to Winchester Bay.  We stopped at the Bedrock Café for lunch.

P1030536
P1030537







I couldn’t really recommend their food.  It looked great but the fish was greasy and tasted less than fresh.  But so what, we were at the coast and sitting with with a good view of the bay.  It was great!
P1030542

I caught a quick shot through the window of this little Merganser having a bit of lunch too.
P1030543

Of course no trip to the coast is complete without the feeding of the seagulls.  We had leftovers so the gulls were the happy recipients of our remains!  I tossed crackers and french fries into the air while Russ clicked the shutter. ( no PhotoShopping of the sky this time!!)
DSCN0639

I love the look on this guy’s face – ATTITUDE!!
DSCN0646

Mouth open ready to catch his food on the wing.
DSCN0640

We’re lucky no one “bombed” our car.
DSCN0641

We wanted to see the elk herd at Dean Creek but they were not close today. No bucks in sight, just mommas and calves and they were all pretty far away and being lazy in the field.
DSCN0661


 
 
When we visited the area last August, the bucks were plentiful and they were almost close enough to touch.


We made a short rest stop at the Elkton City Park.  This park is right on the Umpqua River, a popular fishing destination.
DSC_6714

There’s the birthday boy enjoying his day.
DSC_6718

After that it was short drive home – and we were ready to rest!  A little over 200 miles was covered today.  To make up for the nekkid picture in yesterday’s blog, I allowed Russ to ride shotgun ALL DAY!  He got to see all the good stuff that is sometimes missed from the driver’s seat.  Poppy did fine but was also happy to get home.
DSC_6683a
I snapped this at the dog park the other day and just had to include it.  Poppy looked like this for a millisecond and then she discovered there were other dogs in the park and she was ready to get back in the car!!  

I think I’ll forego any “The End” shots today!!  You can thank me later.

17 comments:

  1. Thanks to all of our blogger friends for the nice Birthday Greetings. Thanks to my wonderful wife Donna, for driving my so far yesterday. She didn't let me fish in the blue fountain, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday, Russ. I somehow missed that last post so had to go back and read it. I suppose you thought you might catch some bluefish??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great WIN! Happy Birthday Russ! That's beautiful picture of Poppy. Sounds like a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Cashing out" is the trick. We've had "discussions" about that very thing, any time there's been a visit to a casino or such. It's not my scene, so any time there's a hint of coming out ahead, I want to leave.
    Happy belated birthday to Russ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, Bob. Russ is not much of a gambler but I think my "cash out" mantra has finally gotten through to him!! Me, if I'm going to play slot machine games, it will be on my computer where it doesn't cost me a penny!!

      Delete
  5. WOW...what a big winner. We watched many people playing that game but no one would get up and let us sit down...darn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a very good bowl of clam chowder that Russ is having? (my favorite!)... and you know what? Poppy looks like a young dog again... that coastal drive must really agree with her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday to Russ. Looks like you were double winners with the casino bonanza and blue skies at the coast. You are making me miss Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun birthday! Winning (and cashing out) must have put you both in a great mood for the rest of the day! Both Florence and Winchester Bay are good places to spend some time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice win! The casino must have heard it was his birthday and decided to give him a present ;-) Sounds like you had a great day ... and of course you had to let Russ ride shotgun ... as a day-old baby he wouldn't have been able to drive :-))))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your big win...nice birthday gift. I guess Gulls were nice to you because your were feeding them good food.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great day that was for the birthday boy! Sounds like something I would choose to do too. I love the coast ... anytime of year. Smart move on taking the money at the casino before you had to give it back. That's the secret.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, yesterday I couldn't comment on your site, today I wrote too long of a comment and lost it so maybe someone's telling me something. Love the picture of Poppy. What a great birthday for Russ. Pay back is hell, Donna. He's probably got an "end" picture somewhere up his sleeve for your birthday.:) I don't know how Rich and I missed the elk and the dune, but we did. I'm surprised that guy didn't tip over. Belated happy birthday, Russ. Glad you're wifey planned such a wonderful day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very happy belated birthday to Russ. Your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that drive along the Umpqua River to Florence and those sand dunes...huge! Belated birthday wishes to Russ and congrats on the big win!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful pics of a beautiful place. Have a wonderful time!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous day you two had! Nice going Russ for winning that money. Fabulous pics!

    ReplyDelete