October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Wild Birds Unlimited

We have a new store in town; Wild Birds Unlimited.  This store is part of a franchise operation that specialize in backyard bird feeding.  Since we are getting more interested in birds, we paid them a visit.

It was a great little store, but I have to say we probably won’t be regulars.  It was CLEAR across town in an overcrowded strip mall and the parking was SCARY!!  The store was nice for one just getting started and the personnel were great, but there certainly were no real bargains to be found.  This store is for people who take their bird feeding REAL seriously.  We found similar items at our local home improvement store for prices that were way more reasonable.  Good luck to the new store though.  The “rich” people all live in south Eugene where the store is located so I’m sure they will do just fine!!

So today we worked on getting some feeders up in the yard.  They are probably all in the wrong places with the wrong seeds but we’ll find out soon enough.

P1030628
This is the feeder we bought at Wild Birds.  The bottom notches are filled with bark butter – a peanutty, suet type of mixture that is supposed to attract a wide variety of birds.  Then a seed cake and a suet cake go on the pole above the bark butter.





P1030620
P1030624
















We didn’t forget our squirrely friends.
P1030622
P1030623









I hung that cake feeder on a small bungee cord, just to see what the squirrels will do. Smile




We have captured a few wild birds with our cameras lately and I *think* we have accurately identified them.  I believe this is a yellow rumped warbler.
DSC_6434b

This is not as good a shot but shows some markings.
DSC_6432a

This is a Northern Flicker (I hope!)
DSC_6802

And of course the ubiquitous Robin.
DSC_6817

I think Russ took a great portrait of this rock pigeon.  A lowly bird by some people’s standards, but when the sunlight catches those beautiful iridescent feathers, it is beautiful.
DSCN0691

I need some help with this one.  Can’t find a duck like this anywhere.  Any guesses??
DSC_6677

Guess that’s all I got!!  I promise not to bore you with birds too often, but I sure am hoping I'll get some unlimited wild birds in my backyard!

14 comments:

  1. Great pictures, Donna! We have a similar type store not to far from here. I stopped in once and got the same impression you did. Think you'd have to take a mortgage out on some of the birdhouses!

    I don't put feeders out any more because I got squirrels in the attic. We greased the poles with silicon so they couldn't get to the feeders, they they started jumping from the trees. I looked out one day and a squirrel was inside the feeder.

    I used to spread peanut butter on apples and roll them in bird seed, put a nail in them and hang them from branches in the winter for the birds. I may start to do that, again. There must have been a reason that I did it in the cooler weather--does peanut butter go rancid? I'll have to look it up--be interesting to draw the birds back, again.

    Thanks for another great post and great pictures. We have doves here that look like pigeons. They seem to spend a lot of time on the ground. There are a couple of cats around here just waiting for them. The other day on my walk I saw a little rabbit sitting just as still as it could be. I decided to go toward it and a huge yellow cat jumped out of the bushes and spit at me before it ran. I think it was planning lunch. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Wild Birds Unlimited closest to my house in IL was in a affluent suburban area. Their seed was expensive. Waiting to see your pics of the squirrels with the bungee cord. I like bird pics, not boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think the birds care about how fancy the feeders are just as long as their is seeds in there :) I am only guessing here but the duck looks like it is a cross between 2 breeds. It is definitely a male. We had many that looked like this when they would enter breed. Makes them unique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took Robins forgranted for many ears. Now that we have been in the deserts of Arizona and California this ear, I miss them terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never saw a feeder like your first one. Very interesting. I want to put out orange slices this year and see what happens. I saw them in all the birding centers in Mission. Not sure if the birds up here will like them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We also have a few stores around that sell $$$$$ feeders. I go for the cheap ones. They always seem to work for us.
    As for the duck....I'd just call it a "Duck". :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That duck may be a domestic mix of mallard and something else. Nice shot of the yellow rump. I never tire of looking at bird photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should have lots of birds with all those feeders. They will be eating good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like that new bird store just might be on to something if everyone buys like you did.

    Great shots of the birds - the only one I knew was the Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got some great bird photos! Beautiful!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job with the bird photos. We don't put out bird feeders, but appreciate those who do near us so we can enjoy the birds as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Once again, you are making me miss my Oregon backyard. However, we carry a bird feeder with us and a few thistle socks. The best birds I ever attracted in Oregon were with the thistle socks--lots of goldfinches and redpolls. You might want to start buying your bird seed at Costco. I guess that would be a sign of successful backyard birding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cake on a bungee looks like the Birdola we bought at Wal-Mart this year. Squirrels never went for it so I'll be interested in your luck.

    ReplyDelete