October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Monday, January 16, 2012

Stuck in Eugene???

Oh yeah, there were storm clouds over Eugene for sure yesterday…and today might not be much better.  At least one person had a humorous take on our wintry weather.  Check out what USBACKROADS has to say about our situation.
We went to Salem yesterday to celebrate the 80th birthday of Russ’s sister, Alice.  What a great lady she is and she was sooooo surprised to see everyone there at her party – it was a surprise.  Even her son, Darrell,  who lives in France was there.  There were so many people that I didn’t get many good photos but here are a few of my favorites.

alice
The birthday girl herself


alice and russ_edited-2
Alice and Russ


P1030064
John (Red) and Auntie Alice

P1030075a
Russ got Alice a little bear made by Russ (the company, not my Russ!!).  That way she can have a Russ Hug anytime she wants one.

P1030076a


Russ spent many happy summers with Alice and Elmer when he was growing up,  and he has a deep love for his sister.  I do too!!  She’s a wonderful lady and we are  so blessed to have her in our lives.  Happy Birthday, Alice.

It started to snow pretty heavily by mid-afternoon so we did what any sensible old folks would do – we beat feet for Eugene.  Just walking out to the car made Russ’s hair begin to turn white!!

P1030079
Yup, that's snow


The drive home actually wasn’t too bad.  The storm was very spotty, with bare pavement followed by snow, then ice, then rain, and bare pavement again.  This was not bare pavement!!

snow freeway

During some of those storm breaks, we were treated to some colorful skies as the sun began to set in the west.  These photos were taken from the car as we traveled south on I-5.

sunset tree


sunset3
That's a little irrigation stream running through a field filled with sheep.

Had a bit more snow last night with more predicted for the early part of the week. 

There’s just something a little sad about snow surrounding a swimming pool.  And it’s REALLY sad when you have to stick your hand in that freezing water to clear the leaves out of the filter basket! 

P1030130


But I always think there is a certain beauty in a snowfall, even one as light as what we received last night.  Something about a fresh blanket of white covering all the ugly spots and making the landscape fresh and bright.  Okay, that’s enough already…I said the something good about the snow…it can quit now!!

P1030134

16 comments:

  1. Great family pictures, Alice looks GREAT for 80, geez....! We got nothing over here weatherwise, those mtns block alot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you had such a nice birthday celebration with Russ's sister. We like the little Russ bear you gave his sister, neat idea! Looks like we just missed that white stuff by two weeks. Enjoyed the post and pic's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please pass along our Happy Birthday wishes to Alice. I can't believe she is 80!
    I don't like the looks of those roads! And we don't miss the driving in snow...at all! Be safe out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great party. I should look so good at 80:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice surprise for Russ's sister. Happy Birthday. Your pictures are great.

    Just BS!(Bob and Sue)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to a very young-looking 80-year-old, Alice! I agree, snow is so pretty to look at, especially when it sticks to the trees. Not so much fun to drive in, though, when there's ice underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ms Alice looks great for 80! There is something refreshing about new falling snow but much safer to see from your living room window instead of thru a car window! The pics are GREAT! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, Alice looks much younger than 80 - I guess it's true, 80 is the new 60.

    Wonderful photos of Russ with his sister.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all of your family pictures.

    The snow? Ummm, not so much ;- ))

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow Alice sure doesn't look 80 years old...love your pictures..and I have to say the snow does look pretty..from a distance ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely lady Alice is and now way is she 80!

    With that snow. looks like we escaped OR in the nick of time! ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to Alice!..she looks fabulous!!..now as for the white stuff?..not so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to Alice ... I'll be happy if I look half as good when I reach 80.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alice is definitely a young 80. Just looking at snow makes me cold!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday to Alice, she looks terrific!

    The snow? Not so terrific! Makes us appreciate Palm Springs all the more in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alice's 80th reminds me of my sis-in-law's 80th we celebrated in Medford..looking good! That's a little too cold there in Eugene, see you in the summer.

    ReplyDelete