October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
The Big Cheese
I was enjoying some of my Wisconsin cheese today (see earlier post) and I was reminded of one other time in my life when I received a gift of cheese.
It was Christmas and I was 6 or 7 years old, I don’t really remember and it doesn’t really matter. My dad was a Pastor and, although he always made certain we had a good Christmas, this particular year things were looking a little skimpy under the tree. Dad’s church was doing well, but the problem with that was, we had started a building program to accommodate the congregation so money was especially tight. This was back in the days when pastors did not get a regular salary. The offering was taken up, the bills of the church were paid, and the Pastor got the leftovers. Just the way it worked.
Anyway, I kept checking under the tree for gifts with my name on them. There were a few small parcels but where, I wondered, was my “big” present? On Christmas morning I was up at the crack of dawn hoping that Santa had visited the night before and left me something special. Sure enough, there was a big box with my name on it. I picked it up to shake it (of course I always shook my presents, didn’t you?) and not one rattle could be heard coming from the package. But it was HEAVY. To a young girl, it seemed to weigh at least 50 pounds!!
Of course Daddy had a big grin on his face, as he played Santa and passed out the gifts one by one, but he made me wait until last to open my “big” gift. I could not imagine what might be inside such a weighty present but as I tore off the paper and ripped open the box I was astonished by what I found. For there inside was a HUGE wheel of Longhorn Cheddar cheese!
I was ecstatic! I LOVED cheese and to own a great big wheel of it was just about the best thing ever! It never dawned on me that it was an inventive way to get groceries into the house, along with the oranges and apples that filled our stockings. To me, I had all the cheese I would ever want, and my Christmas was complete.
My mother was so wise. In the coming days she never presumed to use MY cheese. She always asked if I would like her to make tacos, or enchiladas, or mac and cheese, and oh yes, would I like to use my cheese in the dish? I was so happy to be consulted on these decisions and proud to be able to share with the rest of the family. That cheese went a long way and it is still one of my favorite gift memories.
My Dad was born in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and he always held that the best cheese was Wisconsin cheese. And that is why I am so happy with this chunk of cheese from Merikay and Craig. Every time I eat some, I am reminded of that special Christmas so long ago and of the love and wisdom of my parents. I miss them still.
Okay, I’m done talking about cheese now!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a great Christmas memory! Your parents sound like very wise people. :)
ReplyDeleteWonderful Christmas story!
ReplyDeleteDonna, what a great memory. I came form a family of 6 children and always in later years marveled how my folks made us all happy at Christmas within their always tight budget.
ReplyDeleteA great story! Those memories are always the best:)
ReplyDeleteGreat story, smart parents.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely story about something so simple. I love cheese also. ~wheresweaver
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely story about something so simple. I love cheese also. ~wheresweaver
ReplyDeleteLove the cheese memory!
ReplyDeleteJust noticed the DUCK reflection in the window of your header picture!!! Too cute!!
I loved reading of your wonderful Christmas present. And you were willing to share it. That's even better.
ReplyDeleteWhat a touching story and very well told. One birthday my Grandmother gave me a can of olives because she knew I loved them.
ReplyDeletea great 'cheezy' memory!..hope you managed to eat it all before it went bad!!
ReplyDeleteBefore I read your story, I was wondering why you were eating Wisconsin Cheese instead of Bandon or Tillamook Cheese :)
ReplyDeleteGreat story! Can't say I ever, ever got a wheel of cheese for Christmas!
ReplyDeleteNope, I never received a hunk of cheese from Santa, but I thoroughly enjoyed your story. What a great family to be so creative in giving and receiving that special gift!
ReplyDeleteYou are the best storyteller, thanks so much for sharing your gift(s).
ReplyDeleteAnother lovely story from Ms Donna.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful memory! Thank you for sharing it. (I'll probably think of it now whenever I eat longhorn cheese!)
ReplyDeleteCandy
Great story. Today, a child would not be so thrilled about receiving such a gift! Would they??!!! But glad it was a gift you loved and continue to do so.
ReplyDeleteI love this post!! Thanks for sharing such a sweet memory.
ReplyDeleteGreat post and we're cheese eaters too.
ReplyDeleteGreat story Donna. Gosh, growing up in Wisconsin I thought that cheese was a given on every table. I have to chuckle at the remark about fruit in your stocking and what an ingenious way to get groceries into the house...We always got the very same thing ...fruit and nuts in our stocking. Who would have guessed that simpler times would become such beloved memories?
ReplyDeleteJust BS! (Bob and Sue)
I am going to remember this if we are ever camping together. You'll see!!
ReplyDeleteI, too, wonder if any child today would be go grateful. I would hope so. Your story today is a blessing to all who read it.
ReplyDeleteThank You so much for sharing. What a beautiful memory.
ReplyDeleteSharon
Wisc cheese, when we visited Karen and Stevio this summer, that was my sons request..we brought back a couple of varities, both my son & his girlfriend said it was best cheese they have ever had.
ReplyDeleteWhen my son was young the boy on the corner that he played with would always check out our frig when he came over after school..he was looking for pickles..we arent pickle eaters. For Christmas I went to Sam's and bought the largest jar of pickles I could...wrapped it and gave to his Mom to put under the tree...she later told me the biggest smile on his face was when he unwrapped the pickles !
what a cute Christmas story! and a reminder of simpler days when gifts held such personal meaning and were so treasured! leads me to wonder how many 6 or 7 year olds from today will remember their Christmas gifts when they get to be "of a certain age"!
ReplyDeleteThank you for that wonderful story. It reminds me of lean Christmases past.
ReplyDeleteWell, Donna, Bandon cheese is great, and Wisconsin cheese is wonderful, and cheesy stories are fabulous. Actually we drive all the way to Loleta south of Eureka for the BEST organic white sharp cheddar I have ever tasted. Good to catch up with you since I have been working all week and the blogs have been getting away from me! Yes!!! to the Ducks not losing their coach!!!
ReplyDelete