Actually, if you look at our family, it would be Animal HOUSES…I don’t think we have a relative that doesn’t have a pet of one kind or another. Many of you commented on my post the other day when son John (Red) lost his longtime feline companion, Pita. He read every comment and said that it really helped to know so many people care and understand. Thank you so much from both of us. I am happy to report that John has a new kitty, Margo, a two-year-old rescue. As he said on Facebook, “I have too much love for kitties to be kittyless.” John also said, “You're right, I can't replace Pita. But I was thinking about it quite a bit and in Pita's final moments she was so calm and relaxed in my arms. She was truly at peace and felt very loved. If she could talk, I think she would tell me that she was the luckiest kitty on earth. I think Pita would want me to share that love with other kitties as well.” What a guy. There are no pictures of Margo yet as she is very shy and John does not want to spook her by following her around with a camera and having a flash go off in her eyes.
I do have a picture of a new Grand-dog though. Grandson Corbin will turn 12 on January 9th and he got a puppy for his birthday. His name is Bertram and he is terrier and Pomeranian. He reminds me a little of Nellie’s dog, Bosco.
He is an adorable little fella and I think they will make a good pair.
Granddaughter Anna also got a new kitty for Christmas and she is so happy with her. This is also a rescue kitty, and her name is Shea (Shay).
It seems like many in the RV community have dogs or cats and some, sadly, have lost their beloved companions recently. There is just something so unconditional about the love you receive from a dog or a cat that makes it so hard when they cross that Rainbow Bridge. For all of the pet lovers out there, I want to recommend a book. In a shameless bit of promotion, I want to pass on to you a book written by my brother, David Fritsche. His book has been out for a while now but he recently published it as an affordable e-book and I think many of you would enjoy it. If you have ever loved a pet, or if you have ever lost a pet, this book will touch your heart.
My brother got his first German Shepherd Dog (GSD) when he was only 15 years old. She was a descendant of the famous Rin Tin Tin and he has been forever a lover of that breed (and all other dogs too!). His book is not only a memoir of the dogs he has loved in the last 50+ years, it is a testament to the human/animal connection. There is no one that I know who has lived a life of love, acceptance, and forgiveness more than my brother. In his younger years, he was a police officer in our small California town and helped them begin a canine unit. In later life David went on to other careers, but his dogs were always front and center of his life.
This book, The Dog is My Shepherd, is full of stories of his relationships with those dogs and is by turns, humorous, insightful, and sometimes poignant. Below are links to both the Kindle and other e-Reader versions. If you like dogs, you will like this book. Enjoy and pass the word along to other pet lovers in your circle of friends.
Other e-Reader versions
Kindle version
David is also the author of the German Shepherd version of Barron’s Dog Bibles. If you are considering owning a German Shepherd or already own one, this is a great book by folks who know dogs.
I had a wonderful birthday today and don’t feel a day older than I did last year!! Thank you all so much for your Happy Birthday wishes. It really meant a lot to me. Hopefully we will be back on the road before too much more winter passes us by and we may even see some of you all back in California or Arizona. Safe Travels to you all.
That little Bertram is adorable! Shea looks so much like our Bella. Bella is a rescue kitty also.
ReplyDeleteWe wish John tons of fun with his new little Margo. Can't wait to see the first pictures.
Boy is your brother ever talented. Two books! How awesome.
Glad you had a wonderful birthday. We wish you many, many more.
aww love that pupper...the kitty is sweet too...I love when folks rescue...hopefully little margo will settle in quickly..I will be buying the dog is my shepherd as soon as I finish the one I have on my kindle :)...love animal stories..Rick and I used to breed show and raise golden retrievers..rescued many animals over the years our home was a haven foster home for cats and dogs of all breeds..its hard to let them go when the time comes but I always say 'you need to love them enough to let them go to rainbow bridge'...thanks for the info on the books can't wait to read em...
ReplyDeleteA belated Birthday wish to you Donna. We've been under the weather for a few too many days.
ReplyDeleteTell John if he uses a digital camera he can set the camera not to flash thus Margo will think he is just down on the floor playing not even realizing that he'll be exposing her to the world. That was how we did it with Mr.T who left us after 22 and half years. He knew he was loved.
Hi Donna,
ReplyDeleteI just purched that book for my Nook and also one on Grace. Thanks for the heads up. Glad you had a nice birthday.
Take care
Betty
That new puppy is so darn cute...
ReplyDeleteyour life is an 'animal house'..ours is the 'dawg house'!!
ReplyDeleteWhat an adorable little puppy with such a grand name. he will be a wonderful pet. We had a terrier cross pom in South Africa and she was our best dog ever. Gave her to my mom when we immigrated to Canada.
ReplyDeleteWe sure would be lost without our furry side of the family. Can't imagine not having critters around every day. We've had cats, dogs, hampsters, guinea pics, birds and fish. Loved em all:))
ReplyDeleteI'm always glad to see rescued pets getting a wonderful forever home. I've had a dog rescue organization, Grrr Village Canine Rescue, for some time now. What a joy to see dogs (and cats) matched with new loving owners.
ReplyDeleteWill check out both those books! Thanks!
--Jool
Nice looking additions to your family especially that little guy Bertram!
ReplyDeleteOh my, the shepherd on the cover looks so much like our beloved Heidi who gave her life rescuing our Doodles(Duke now also passed)
ReplyDeleteShe was so wonderful..her and I used to have 'girl talk' at night when Sam was on nights on the police department....Dont have an ereader or kindle...is there someway else to get the book ??
Great post Donna. Makes me wish for a dog even more but it would not be fair - we still work part time.
ReplyDeleteBesides that, as you know the dog house in our motorhome is too small to hold The Cowboy and a dog ;-))
Sharon
Happy Belated Birthday Donna. sure hope you had a great one. I love all the new animal additions. The puppy is just too cute. I am sure they will all be loved and cared for and in return will share their love.
ReplyDeleteKevin and Ruth
www.travelwithkevinandruth.com
Thanks for sharing all those special lives with us. I used to have a GSD, he was a great dog. Now I have all these ScareLukis ;-)
ReplyDelete& 2 rescues as well. Plus a few meowsers.
FYI - the question was asked about getting the dog book in hard copy and yes it is available but is quite a bit more expensive. It is on Amazon as a paperback as well. Hope some of you enjoy it as much as I did.
ReplyDeleteYou are right. You can't replace a lost pet, but getting another one sure helps you to have some place to give all that love to. That puppy is so cute!
ReplyDeleteHey! why not "promote" what our loved ones accomplish. I will check out the book on Kindle.
ReplyDeleteHappy belated Birthday too!