October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014
Sunday, January 29, 2012
Grandpa Plays Hide and Seek
Bill Cosby was in town yesterday – yes, THAT Bill Cosby. He is still alive and well and, according to our son, Josh, as funny as ever. So while Josh and wife Arwen went to enjoy the show, their girls, Cailin and Emilie spent some time with us.
You remember Emmie as the one who always wants to win Grandpa’s marbles. Yesterday something different was on the agenda. Emmie brought walkie-talkies to the party. While Cailin and I chatted in the kitchen and worked on dinner, Emmie talked Grandpa into a game of hide and seek.
She had it all figured out. They each had a walkie-talkie and Emmie would talk to grandpa while she hid and then he had to find her. I don’t know all the rules but they seemed to be having a grand time.
After dinner we were playing Table Topics. Table Topics is simply a bunch of cards printed with questions which the participants answer. It’s a way to facilitate conversation. All the kids love it. It’s a great way to establish an open line of communication with the kids while they are still young enough to enjoy it. Then when they become teenagers, perhaps they will still talk to us!!
Anyway, it was Grandpa’s turn to answer a Table Topics question, but he had made a detour into the other room and was not available. I told Emmie, “Don’t wait for Grandpa. He may be gone awhile.” She must have thought I was casting aspersions on Grandpa’s character as a willing participant in our game and she gently leapt to his defense.
“Grandpa played hide and seek with me today,” she said. “He could have just sat in his chair but he got up and played with me.”
Wow! Sometimes we think they don’t notice or that our involvement doesn’t matter. But the fact that Grandpa got up and actually played a game of hide and seek, will be a memory that will last this child for a long, long time. It’s not the fancy gifts or the new toy that will be the sweetest memory. It is the investment of time and attention that will return the greatest dividends.
Sorry, forgot to take any pictures yesterday but we had a great visit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You've given them countless wonderful memories I'm sure!
ReplyDeleteYou are an awesome couple and terrific grandparents!
Sharon
The investment of time and attention, that says it all doesn't it??
ReplyDeleteThat's a good message for all of us! Your Table Topics game sounds like fun, too.
ReplyDeleteYou guys are the epitome of grandparents -- your grandkids will always remember the time and attention the two of you gave them!
ReplyDeleteYou got that right! Perhaps Grandpa was just hiding for a bit. :)
ReplyDeleteNicely said, you guys are wonderful Grandparents.
ReplyDeleteAw... indeed - the investment of time and attention... I'm not much on buying this and that --- they get too much thises and thats...
ReplyDeleteBut I'm not short on hugs... love reading about g'babies and such.... ;)
its the things we do and not buy that leaves the wonderful impressions - your grands are lucky to have you :) btw...I purchased "the Dog is my Shepherd"...on my kindle...Rick is reading it (so I have to wait till hes done:() then I will get my turn..he said he's really enjoying it and that it is very well written :)
ReplyDeleteKids are a ton smarter than we give them credit for.
ReplyDeleteBy the way...why is Donald Duck in your window of the MH? Did you think I wouldn't notice? ~wheresweaver
that is so true! I'm hoping our grandsons will remember their eperience with us at the Rosr parade as one of their memories of us.
ReplyDeleteI just noticed the duk in the window of Therpy in you header picture. How did you do that?
Games and hide & seek ... a great way to entertain the grands ... and the grandparents :-)))
ReplyDeletetime well spent is the greatest gift of all!!
ReplyDeleteIt's great to see that the Oregon Ducks have kept their coach! Or, the coach has kept it's Oregon Duck. However you prefer.
ReplyDeleteSomeday I'm going to have a grandchild and I sure hope I remember the message from your blog. Glad to know Bill is still funny because I'll be going to see him at the Good Sam Rally in March.
ReplyDeleteOh, how right you are! Spending time with the g'kids (and kids) means so much more than anything else we can do. I'm missing my g'kids!!!
ReplyDeleteThe time spent with Grandkid's is always time well spent, and they can teach us a few things along the way. I would gladly give up a weekend of fun in some other interest to spend it with our three Grands.They have filled my life's low spots many times. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna..
ReplyDeleteWhat a great weekend! The Grands can sure help chase away those winter blues.
ReplyDeleteYou guys are just great people, and what wonderful grandparents! That was a sweet story about Emmie sticking up for her Grandpa. You are right, they really DO notice, and these are the memories they'll carry with them always. :)
ReplyDeleteWell said!
ReplyDelete