October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Monday, January 30, 2012

Michael’s, Costco, Joann’s and What Would You Do?


Okay, let’s start with Michaels first.  Walked in the door this morning and there right in the front, on sale at only $39.99 was this:

P1030199

For less than $40 your children (or grandchildren) can put one cupcake at a time into this contraption, fill the little cups on top with sprinkles, and with a twist of the handle, send jimmies and sprinkles flying in all directions to decorate that cupcake.  Amazing!!  Doesn’t everyone need one?  Okay maybe not.

But then maybe not everyone needs a little tiny iron either but I found the one I wanted at Michael’s and I had a coupon for 40% off so I bought it.  Then I went to Joann’s to get some trim and found a tiny ironing board.  Actually it’s a sleeve board but it will work wonderfully with the little iron for ironing all those little doll dresses I am making!  Russ did cut a board out for me but by the time I could make a cover and get it fixed up to use, I figured I was money ahead to buy this one.  Oh, and I had another 40% off coupon at Joann’s so I was happy happy!!

Are you proud of me Sweet P??

P1030206



P1030208





Now isn’t that just perfect??




We also went to Costco and, for the first time since summer, we gave into temptation and ordered up a Costco ice cream bar.  We decided one was plenty to share and Russ offered to cut it in “HALF”.  Guess which half he offered me?

ice cream divide

HA!!  Not on your life, Bucko!  I took over the dividing and a more equitable solution was found.  That ice cream bar was SOOO good, but SOO messy.  Good thing we had the plate.

ice creamP1030204


Oh yum.  I think of Barbara (Me and My Dog) every time I get one of these as she was the one who got us started on them.  Hope to see you next summer Barbara.  I’ll spring for the ice cream bars!!


Now here’s a “What Would You Do” question for you.  Here’s what happened.  We were in Fred Meyer's doing some grocery shopping a few days ago.  I wasn’t paying too much attention to the checker until Russ had most of our items loaded onto the conveyor belt.  Then I started watching her, as I thought she was taking a long time to get through the order in front of us.  This checker had hair a little longer than shoulder length and every so often she would reach around, grab her hair, and draw it over one shoulder, running her hand along the length of her hair.  She would scan a few more items then run her hand over her face, scan an item or two more and rub her fingers under her nose.  Then she would give a big sniff. 

These actions were repeated during the entire check-out process.  When it was our turn, the checker did the same thing over and over.  I wanted to grab my fresh vegetables and tell her not to touch them.  I was just waiting for her to sneeze all over everything but luckily that never happened.

Perhaps I am just being too picky but it gave me the willies to allow her to handle my food and produce (even though it was in plastic bags) when she was playing with her hair, her face, and her nose.  YUK.  I thought about bringing it to the attention of the manager and then decided in the big scheme of things it wasn’t that big of a deal.  After all, germs are everywhere. 

Still I couldn’t help thinking of the Chinese market my grandson took us to in Portland last year.   Everything was SO clean and the checkers all wore plastic gloves.  There was no YUK factor there.

So what would you have done?  Is it okay to stay silent when an employee's actions are less than stellar, or should concerns be taken to the people in charge?  I really don’t know the answer and I didn’t want to be responsible for this woman getting reprimanded or fired.  In all likelihood, she needed the job and if she was sick, could not afford to stay home.  Or maybe I’m just too particular.  And yes, I am one of those people who uses the wet wipes on the shopping cart handles before I shop.  Haven’t had a cold in a long time!!  What would you do?

21 comments:

  1. ooo, that is a good one! I am so non-confrontational, probably would not have done anything, but i would not have gotten in her line again....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use the wet wipes too:) I'm not confrontational either -- I might have moved to another checker if I had noticed it before everything was on the belt. I wouldn't have said anything to manager for fear she would lose her job. Make sure you wash all that produce before you use -- YUK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good one..very interesting?..maybe handing her some antibacterial soap and a kleenex?

    ReplyDelete
  4. After getting sick leaving the Indio Rally, I have given some thought to touching "public" things. Door handles, shopping carts, etc. I used to think people who were fussy about those things were a bit fanatic, but no longer. I don't get sick staying at home. Only when I travel on public transportation like airplanes. Think that is one reason I want to RV. It will be my own home!

    I would not have reported her, but I would be glad my veggies were in bags!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I probably wouldn't have reported her either. And I use the wet wipes all the time. I figure I'm going to wash those veggies when I get them home anyhow. I'd just scrub them extra hard. Who knows who touched them before you picked them up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a freak about using the shopping cart wipes...on the way into the store..then when leaving I grab a couple more to clean my hands with...as for the checker? Like you I wouldn't want to get her into any trouble..she probably was sick and probably couldn't afford to take the day off...but hair flicking doesn't fit into the scheme of things when sick.....not sure what I would have done to be honest...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also use the wipes. I agree with Sandie...I need to wash the veggies anyway so why get the girl in trouble. But I will say...I cannot for the life of me figure out why these stores allow the cashier to dress so casual and even have their cell phones with them. I do not like the idea of being so lax with the dress code. I even have seen cashiers texting on their cell phones when they do not have any customers. What the heck is with that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even if the checker wasn't feeling well, why was she playing with her hair. I think that their hair should be up or out of the way in that kind of job. My son used to work at Fred Meyer in the produce department and I know they care about how their employees interact with customers. I think a manager should have been alerted, but I would probably be too chicken to mention it. I would avoid her line in the future. I don't like self-checkout, but maybe that would be the way to go in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wouldn't have reported her either ... don't want the possibility of her losing her job on my conscience. We do use the wipes, but are not fanatical about it. After all, the next thing you touch after you use one of those wipes is bound to put germs right back on your hands. Besides, a little contact with germs goes a long way towards building up your resistance to them. Using the wipes before you eat ... now that is important and should always be the case.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom had a rule that if one of us cut something in half then the other one chose which side they wanted. Really inspired us to make things even and how to share properly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I might have just moved to a different checkout line.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why worry about the vegetables more than anything else? Many germs are transmitted to you by your hands, as you touch your own face, nose, eyes, mouth. Everything the checker touched was equally "contaminated", for however long those germs are able to survive outside the human body. Each item you put in your cupboard had the same potential to bring you illness as your vegetables do (which were at least protected by plastic).

    I think the BEST defense is frequently washing your hands so you don't bring germs to your nose, eyes, face. I agree with you that the checkers actions were VERY inappropriate. If she is sick, she should be at home - which is why EVERY big employer should have a sick leave polity (IMHO). But I don't think you need to worry more about the vegetables than anything else! Reassuring, eh? :)

    As for what I would have done... I'm usually so busy watching the prices as they scan, trying to find my credit card and get it to work, wondering if I have a rewards card for this grocery store, wondering who put those cookies in my cart, wishing the person next in line would quit crowded me with their cart - that I probably wouldn't even have noticed!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I probably would have done the same as you... I am really not the confrontational kind. But as many have said, I would have switched checkers. We have Dillons, which is in the same family as Fred M and I've never had a clerk such as that!!!

    I use the wipes on any cart anyplace and Hubs does too when he goes along and uses the motorized cart. The last time I was severely sick I had shopped at Walmart the day before and am completely sure I got something from the cart!!! That's when the wipe use started!

    Germs seem to be able to survive anywhere... so give 'em your best fight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yuck! I don't know what I'd do either. I'd certainly wash everything well when I got home! By the way - I don't share ice cream with my hubby. That's one of the few things I just have to have one of my own!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would not have reported to manager. So many (at least here) stores count it against you if you call in sick and too many companies have no sick time. Company I work for is nationwide and we do not get even 1 sick day a year, so people that have not yet accumulated a lot of vacation come to work sick because they (mostly single mothers) cannot afford to lose a day or twos pay.
    It unfortunate that it has come to this. The girl probably has a nervous habit w/ the hair and doesnt realize she is even doing it, of course I know that doesnt make it any less unappealing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Last time I was at Costco, I didn't get the ice cream bars - still not "up to par" after surgery. Now they sound good, and next time I'll get some. I also think of you guys when I see them.

    About the "germy checker," I wouldn't have done anything. When I was at Quartzsite, I was checked out in the grocery store by a woman who was REALLY sick, coughing, blowing her very red nose, her eyes were watering, she was a mess. I didn't seem to have a choice, but when I got back to The Palms I washed my hands and washed everything I bought (not much) and re-washed my hands. I was so sure I'd get sick, but I didn't, so my efforts paid off.

    I always wipe down my shopping cart if the wipes are available, and I keep a bottle of antiseptic for hands in the truck.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you think of how much food items get handled by customers (especially produce) then put back into the bin, then the check out clerk becomes the least of your concerns. We all check that produce to see if it's ripe enough, soft enough, etc. Who knows where their hands have been? But all fruit & such gets washed here anyhow, even oranges. I would not SHARE that ice cream! It would be mine....allllllllllll mine! 8-9
    Oh & you can go online to Hobby Lobby & Michaels & print off coupons before you go shopping in those stores. Not sure about other places, but would be worth it to look online to see before you go.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oooh! I want one of those little iron thingys!! I wouldn't have reported her either. I am with Erin on the exposure to some germs now and then theory, but I still get a little antsy when folks with runny nosed babies show up. I get a flu shot every year and haven't been sick now for several years so whatever it is works I guess. I did get one little cold this year but it only lasted 3 days. Wonder if I got it at Freddy's...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad Russ enjoyed his ice cream, I might just have to find my way to Costco to try one of those. Think I should take Lolita along to share? I don't think you will be in that cashiers line again, but think you did the right thing giving her the benefit of the doubt. Got to love those wipes and sanitizers this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. About the sharing - ice cream, not germs.

    The Cowboy does the splitting and when we realize that one half is larger than the other, he takes enough bites out of it to make it the same size as the smaller portion. ;-))))

    ReplyDelete
  21. I too would cringe at the checker placing her hands all over my food. I think I would wait until I got home and then call the store manager informing him that you were grossed out by how the checkers handle the food.

    You might even mention the store where the checkers wore gloves.

    However, even if they are wearing gloves and touch their face and nose, the germs can still be transferred to your food. I guess the only solution is to thoroughly was everything once you got home.

    ReplyDelete