We were on our way to Portland to celebrate Christmas with our daughter and family…that was also the best of times. More about that in a day or two. We hadn’t planned on going to John’s house as they had been down on Christmas eve and we did their Christmas then. This morning I was checking the computer one last time before packing it up and putting it away prior to our trip home. I saw a FB post from John and that is where the worst of times comes in.
It was time. His cat Pita has been ailing for sometime and finally he knew that nothing more was going to work. Her time had come. We hurried to his house and Pita raised her head and greeted me when I called her name. She could not get up, but she always knows Grandma. John lovingly gathered her in his arms and we drove them to the vets office where Pita crossed over Rainbow Bridge. It was a heartbreaking event for all of us, but especially for John. He has had Pita for 13 years and loved her without reservation. We were all somewhat better once it was over as we know Pita is at peace and no longer in pain. There is a quotation that goes something like, “a man is never taller than when he stoops to help a child.” I think that should also include…"as when he loves a pet.” Rest in peace Pita… we love you.
| Pita checks out John's pork enchiladas, August 16, 2009 |

Oh I am so sorry to hear about that, we know what it is like to say goodbye to a dear friend. Pita will be missed but she will be at peace.
ReplyDeleteOh, so sorry to read about Pita. I know that feeling of loss too well. I loved the photo you posted of John and Pita, and I'm glad she is at peace.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about Pita. That is such a heartbreaking thing to have to do, even when you know they are suffering.
ReplyDeleteI am heartbroken for you guys and especially for John. It is so hard to say goodbye to these wonderful friends who have given us their all. But Pita is no longer suffering and is having fun running free over the bridge.
ReplyDeletewe are so sorry for the loss of the beloved Pita..there are no words to take the pain away..just a big hug for all of you. :*(
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for the loss of Pita. It's always tough to say good-bye to a member of the family. ((((Hugs)))
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for both of you and for John. I too loved the photo of John and Pita. This is the hardest part of loving our animals and sharing life so closely with them by our sides. The emptiness is just awful. Thinking of all of you, especially John. I have enjoyed following along on his life changing journey. Send him a hug from me as well.
ReplyDeleteyou know that I completely understand the pain you all are feeling tonight... and after the same number of years of love...
ReplyDeletesending love, hugs and sympathy for the loss of the beloved Pita to all of you...
How well I understand John's sorrow and how well I understand John's sad emptyness. It is only the gift of time which will eventually bring lasting comfort.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss, Donna, Russ, John, and the rest of the family.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about the loss of Pita... :((
ReplyDeleteYes, this is always difficult even when we know we have done our best to love and care for our furry friends. HUGS!
ReplyDeleteWe too have known the loss of a family member, four-legged variety. It's heartbreaking, yet comforting to know you've done the right thing.
ReplyDeleteSorry, so sad for all of you.
ReplyDeleteI loved your quote.
Sharon
So sorry. It's hard to lose a best bud. :(
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about the loss of Pita. Please give our condolences to John. Words can't do much right now but time will lessen the pain and only good times will be remembered.
ReplyDeleteMy extreme condolences on the loss of Pita. I hope you can take some comfort from this verse...
ReplyDeleteGod saw he was getting tired, and a cure was not to be.
So He put His arms around him and whispered, Come with Me.
With tearful eyes we watched him suffer and slowly fade away.
Although we loved him dearly, we could not make him stay.
A golden heart stopped beating, playful paws were put to rest.
God broke our hearts to prove to us, He only takes the best.
Anonymous
From one cat lover to another...we are so sorry for John's loss. Just reflect on all the laughs she brought to you!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much to everybody! Your comments do help and bring me some comfort. I just want my Kitty back but I know that's not to be.
ReplyDeleteThank You!!!
We are so sorry to hear about Pita our hearts go out to you both and to John. We know how you all feel having had to just go through that with our dog Whiskey at the end of September. Not a nice thing to have to deal with especially have such a long life, they become a part of your family.
ReplyDeleteKevin and Ruth
www.travelwithkevinandruth.com
We are so very sorry to hear of the loss of Pita. Our pets take hold of our hearts and live there forever. Here is hoping your days become easier.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about Pita .. It's horrible to lose a beloved pet.
ReplyDeleteIt's always so sad to lose a pet. She had a long, happy life with John, they were both lucky to have so much time together.
ReplyDeleteI'm doing some catch up reading tonight. I'm very sorry about Pita. My friends lost their cat on Christmas night too. He was somewhere around 17-19 years old. We all took turns holding him, cuddling him, talking to him & feeding him small bits of food. He passed away on his own shortly afterwards. RIP Pita & Tony, the angels are guarding over them now.
ReplyDelete