October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Thursday, June 2, 2011

To Go or Not to Go…that is the question

So here we sit in the midst of yet  another Oregon rainstorm.  It has rained on and off (mostly on) again all day.  I have found myself checking the weather forecasts multiple times each day, looking for some glimpse of the sun.  It seems when a sunny day is finally forecast, the next day that sun has disappeared and rain is again in the works.

And so we have sat and watched and waited…and all we have accomplished is…well… NOTHING!!  We finally decided we are through waiting and watching so tomorrow come rain or shine, we are GOING.  Not sure where, just going.  We will be in Oregon City on the 9th for a granddaughter’s graduation from middle school but other than that, we are going to follow our hearts.

I missed an opportunity today to say what I really thought about Rick’s recent brouhaha.  Kinda reminds me of Al’s Lemongate blog this past winter.  What I see as similar to both incidents is the ability of people who know neither of these folks to pass judgment on their actions.  I learned a long time ago that it was time for me to put down the gavel.  I am neither judge nor jury, nor do I wish to be.  We all have opinions about myriad subjects and we should feel free to share those opinions.  I certainly am not shy about sharing mine.  But I realize that my opinion is just that: MY opinion.  I do not expect to change anyone else to think the way I do (how boring!) but I do welcome a give and take of ideas.  My point is, to respectfully share a difference of opinion is one thing…to attack and judge is something else entirely.  I found it especially ludicrous that any type of comparison would be made between letting your dogs run off leash and driving drunk.  I saw someone at the grocery store today leave their cart in the parking lot without putting it back into a cart rack.  OH MY…I wonder if they were going to drive drunk as they certainly had no respect for the sign which read, “Return Carts Here.”  Okay, off my soapbox now and through sharing MY OPINION…but seriously folks, unless you are wearing the judge’s robe, put down the gavel.
Remember my story about strawberry shortcake the other day?  I don’t mean the part about Russ Laughing out loud but the part about me wanting it so badly and then not being able to eat it.  Well, that situation has been remedied.  I made strawberry shortcake the other night and it was absolutely DELISCIOUS.  It really hit the spot and could possibly be the best I have ever made.  Some things are worth waiting for.  Then the next morning I used the leftover strawberries and had strawberry waffles.  Again a gastronomical delight…however I think I am done with strawberries for a while!!

We had to take Poppy to the vet today.  We have been fighting hot spots on her for a long time.  With her heavy, dense coat, it just seemed like we could never get her cleared up or even find them all.  So yesterday we took the clippers to her.  We thought we were going to shave around a couple of spots.  By the time we were done, her entire back and some of her sides were shaved.  Poor baby looks like a half-shorn sheep. She seemed to get some relief right away just from letting the air get to the spots.  We feel like the worst doggie parents in the world, even though we were doing everything the vet told us to do.  So we wanted him to have a look and see if there was anything else that could be done.  Dr. Browning said shaving her was probably the best thing we could have done and he prescribed a 30 day regimen of antibiotics and some special shampoo.  Said we should notice a big improvement in a few days.  I sure hope so.  So Poppy is going to look pretty funny until that coat grows back in but at least we feel we are finally doing all that we can to get the hot spots cleared up.

That’s all for now…hopefully I will have some pictures of us enjoying the sunshine in a few days. 

18 comments:

  1. We just had to shave Pita due to hair mats. She is the funniest looking thing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Red...is there anything left? There wasn't much of her to begin with!! She's still a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She doesn't know she's not the most beautiful creature in the world! She may wonder why you laugh when you look at her, but then figure it is because she makes you so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry to hear about Poppy!..our first golden was prone to hot spots too..she always had at least one or two spots that were shaved..or yucky or crusted over!..I use to wish I could phone home when she was there by herself and 'yell into the answering machine..quit scratching/ licking!!!
    We have been fortunate with Tucker..no problem with them as yet!..we are hoping that he won't have bad skin like she did!
    now as for your 'gavel'..good for you..rules and regulations!..life is short..we all use our common sense and as for Mr. Anon?..is say 'Chicken'!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, go, go, go! I am almost always rarin' to go, but even when I'm less than excited about a trip, I always have a good time, even when there are frustrations along the way. If it rains on your trip, just be glad that you have a nice new cozy motorhome to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sun'll come out tomorrow -- bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there'll be sun...didn't we just go thru this scenario...LOL! Go and enjoy -- even if it rains, at least it's not hot! Hope Poppy is better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even if we have to stay inside, we have lots of things we can do. I made sure we've got the cribbage board, and cards, Uno cards, Rook cards, a new Bunco game to learn to play, Skip Bo cards to learn to play, and dominoes to learn to play Mexican Train! And if that's not enough, we can always play strip poker, or something. Then there's always DVD's or reading. I know, you'd rather be outside.....well, I've got a surprise for you there, too. Not telling, not telling. You'll have to wait. HaHaHaHa.....you know I can't keep a secret for long!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're goona pay for that one Mister K!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOPS! "gonna" see you got me all rattled now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you guys in taking the initiative in doing something to change your environment. That's the nice thing about having an RV in the driveway. We can always change where we are. And, for the record....I am one of those people you see returning the shopping cart to the cart area or the store. To me, it is just a common sense & respectful thing to do......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post! I agree wholeheartedly!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course....you guys are leaving today and the temps are supposed to be in the high 70's tomorrow and in the low 80's on Sunday!!! Tee, hee, hee! The sun is just waiting for you to leave so it can pop out for two days. Have a great time where ever you end up going!!! No getting sick this time out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good thoughts on Rick's blog "issue". Glad you got your fill of Strawberries:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our poor Scoots has a grass allergy. She does so good when we are in AZ but now that we are headed back north for the summer her skin, especially under her front legs, are so broke out and so sore. We have special shampoo for her and she doesn't have much fur which is a good thing. So glad you got your strawberry fix.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear you made good use of those strawberries. I sure hope Poppy reacts to the medicine and antibiotics just as the Vet hopes so that her skin problem disappears quickly.

    Well said, Judge!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with the gavel. I think we all need to just sit back and relax. Safe travels, and the strawberry shortcake is one of my favorites. Homemade I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good to hear that you have your appetite back and could enjoy the strawberry shortcake and the waffles ... will have to pick some up as I have a craving for juicy strawberries the way mom used to prepare them for breakfast ... cut up and left overnight with a smidge of sugar sprinkled over it ... delish the next morning. Have fun ... and yes, while it's always better to be outside, I'll take being somewhere in the motorhome and having to stay inside over being at home and having to stay inside.

    ReplyDelete