October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

The last of the company has just left and all is quiet on the western front.  For the last week we had two grandgirls staying with us.  Plus for three of those days, we had a grandson coming over everyday to visit.  On Thursday, our daughter arrived for the weekend, along with her dog, Lucy.  Today we had 10 people for a backyard lunch of barbeque pulled pork, coleslaw, potato salad, baked beans, macaroni salad, and fresh Oregon strawberries.  It was all good and no one went away hungry.

But we are TIRED!  Wish I had as much energy as I had even 10 years ago.  I wouldn’t give up the family times for anything but just can’t keep up like I used to.  I often think my “can do” just doesn’t keep pace with my “want to”.  I was even too tired to remember to take some pictures of the group.  Oh well, I know what they look like.

My daughter’s dog was just recently diagnosed with hip dysplasia.  The dog is a German Shepard mix and is only 14 months old.  Merry was training her to be her service dog.  The vet said it is mild and perhaps with proper treatment, will not get much worse.  Friday Lucy romped in the yard quite a bit and then took a nap in the living room.   When she woke up, she couldn’t get up.  She yelped every time she moved.  We put hot and cold packs on her hips and gave her an extra Rimidyl and finally she was able to move.  It’s really too bad as she is a wonderful loving dog and smart as a whip.  time will tell how this turns out.

P1030538
Lucy hunting for toys under Rusty's "Toy Tree"
Ever since he was a pup, Rusty has stashed his
toys under this cedar tree. 


P1030535
Rusty and Lucy enjoying the grass


Even with all the company we managed to get Therapy loaded and the Wee Fit hooked up and we are ready to roll first thing in the morning.  We’ll travel towards the McKenzie Pass and stop at Takoda’s for breakfast.  Anytime we head that way we always like to stop at Takoda’s for a meal.

Just a couple of photos from my (vastly underplanted) yard.  I have stuck with my bargain and have neither purchased nor planted a single flower this season.


P1030551
Consider the Lilies of the field...

P1030550
I forget what this is called.  We planted
three of them last year and they are all
thriving.  I sure like the blossoms.


 Since I am “flower deprived” this year. I could not bear to pull up these little volunteers from the pool deck.  No power washing allowed here!!

P1030549





P1030548









Gotta get to bed so we can get an early start.  Hopefully I’ll have some good things to write about from Sisters.  When we get back we get to meet Doug and Sue so we are really looking forward to that.  By the way, Al of the Bayfield Bunch has a great mystery story going on over at his blog…all about a lamp.  He promised the second installment tonight so pop on over and have a look.

16 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention, thanks for the shout-out yesterday! I love your flowers! Have a great time on your trip and travel safely up the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers are really beautiful. See, you don't have to plant them, they just volunteer! Sorry about the pup, that's so sad. And I'm so jealous that you take off so often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time on your trip this week!!..sounds like you deserve a break and a rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your "volunteers" - they are beautiful! Enjoy your trip - can't wait to hear all about it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always sad to hear of an animal in difficulty. We humans understand pain, animals do not. If that purple flower is on a wooden bark tree I'm guessing it might be a 'Rose Of Sharon.' We have one here that will bloom a little later in the summer. Wished I was in your boots with an upcoming trip right round the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Out of the three shepherds we have had in our lives two ended up with displasia, we had Rigg's tested and so far no sign of it but he is only two years old.Sounds like a great weekend I know everyone enjoyed the BBQ. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna......

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about the dog. Some of the larger breeds are prone to that condition, anyway, I have read a lot of articles that say so. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how you feel about the "want to do vs the can do" I still wonder where the term "Golden Years" came from?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about Lucy's hip problems. My Skitz is on Rimidyl for her shoulder dislocation. I feel so bad for our pups who hurt. They just don't understand. Hope all goes well for her. And you guys have a fantastic time on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am always sad to hear of a pets pain... Our little girl is having problems with her back hips too. Arthritis!!! I bet you are excited about your trip and I know you'll love Sue & Doug... we met them last year and they are GREAT!
    Have fun & Travel safe
    Donna

    ps..thanks for coming by and joining my followers at my new RV PArk Review Blog
    http://www.tassiescampgroundreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You deserve a rest after all the busyness of last week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your big family gathering stories, it's always fun and always nice when it's done, too. Great that you have family close by to gather. Thank goodness for perennials! and volunteer pansies! Not buying flowers would be really hard for me, so I feel your pain. Have fun in Sisters and enjoy the sunny warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very sorry to hear about Lucy's hip problem. I sure hope it's able to be treated so that she's comfortable. Nice flower pics and enjoy a few day's rest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about Lucy's hip. My dad had a German Shepard that developed hip dysplasia later in her life. So hard to know they are in pain. I hope she can be treated and the dysplasia stopped along with any pain.
    Love your flower pics!! Just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your bar-b-que sounds wonderful, but I know what you mean about not having enough energy. I seem to have lots of energy, but after time with grandkids, I'm exhausted. They just wear me out, even if we aren't doing much. I think it's because there's no down-time, and we are used to lots of down-time when we want it.

    Will your daughter continue to train Lucy since her diagnosis? German Shepards are prone to hip dysplasia unfortunately. I've had a few as pets, and they are such great dogs.

    ReplyDelete