Among my possessions is a letter from the American Red Cross dated October 31, 1944. This was sent to my grandmother regarding her son Joseph Heber Cutler.
This was before the days of internet connections, email, and instant replay on CNN. Family often went for months without knowing if their loved ones were dead or alive or where they were. And yet they endured and for the most part did not complain, knowing that their loved one was doing what must be done. I also have the purple heart that was later awarded to my uncle Cutler.
I am thankful for all the men and women who serve. Politics aside, these brave individuals endure great personal risk to keep us safe and their families who are left behind, likewise endure hardship.
I want to take a moment and thank those of my own family who have served over the years.
My husband Russ:
Son John (Red)
Son-in-law Bob (still serving)
And to the rest of my family who have served: Fred Krecklow, Brian Hood, Jim King, Zachary King, Tony Fritsche, Johnny Fritsche...I don't have pictures of you but I thank you just the same. If I have forgotten anyone, I apologize but know that we are grateful for your service.
And for all those who have fallen in the service of their country, may God Bless you and may we never forget.
Now get out there and celebrate the life and the freedom these brave troops have fought to secure for us. Have fun and enjoy your memorial day. And when the games are over and the food is served, take the time to say a quick prayer for all that have served and are still serving.




Zach King.
ReplyDeleteThanks to all our veterans no matter when or where they served.
ReplyDeleteThasks Red, I added him!
ReplyDeleteAmen, Donna!
ReplyDeletedouble Amen!
ReplyDeleteGreat tribute to your family and friends!
ReplyDeleteWe appreciate all of their service
ReplyDeleteVery nice tribute; and that letter is a great piece of historical memorabilia to have ... especially since it brought good news.
ReplyDeleteWonderful post and very well said!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tribute! Thanks to all who have served and for the families who support them in their service.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful tribute, thank you!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the beautiful tribute to our men and women in harms way. There are way too many people that don't appreciate what they have done, and are doing.
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Donna...thanks for posting!
ReplyDelete