October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Sunday, June 5, 2011

♫ ♪ I See Skies of Blue…♫ ♫

June 3, 2011

It started out as a gray and dreary day.  The weather report (depending on which report you listened to) called for partly cloudy with scattered showers.  But we loaded up Therapy and hit the road before 10 a.m. anyway.  It wasn’t more than 30 minutes until we began to see BLUE up in the sky.  And those tiny blue patches grew until the entire sky was lit up with something we haven’t seen in a while; sunshine and clear skies.

We are spending two nights at Washburne State Park, about 15 miles north of Florence, OR.  This park does not accept reservations but we got here early enough to pretty much have our pick of the spots.  We got a nice surprise as we pulled in and talked with one of the camp hosts.  Tomorrow (June 4) is FREE camping day in all state parks.  So we are spending a grand total of $26 for two nights of full hook-up camping. 

This park is definitely under utilized.  It might be that folks who only have a weekend or a one week vacation do not want to take a chance on being turned away so they prefer to make sure they have a site reserved.  This is a great park, lots of shade, large and level sites, nice rest room and shower facilities, and fairly quiet (as much as public parks can be quiet!).

I started off our time here by making a grand exit from the motor home.  I was letting Poppy out and noticed the leash was wrapped around her hind leg.  I was being so careful and trying to keep her from tripping that I didn’t pay attention to where my own feet were going.  I missed the last step out of the motor home and landed with a thud on all fours.  Skinned my right knee up pretty good and scraped both hands but other than that I was unhurt…kinda stiff and sore last night but it could have been worse.  I’m sure glad Russ didn’t have the camera going!  Poppy was fine!

There is a great trail to the beach.  It’s a little bit of a hike for us older folk – 1/2 mile but it is uphill both ways!!  Seemed like it anyway by the time we got back.  The trail is paved and well maintained, except for a few spots where the asphalt has been damaged by weather.

P1030189

It was just a reflection in a puddle of water but I thought it looked cool.

P1030197 
One part of the trail looked like it belonged in a spooky Halloween movie.

P1030195

Thankfully, we did not see any bears or cougars hiding in the woods.  Can’t say we weren’t warned.  We did see a couple of small children on the trail with their dad so we figured if the wild animals didn’t eat the children, we were probably going to be okay.
P1030190

There is a creek that flows through the campground and the trail follows it for part of the way.  It is a high bank so is inaccessible until it joins the ocean, but it is nice to look at.
P1030192 
Finally, we saw the ocean, blue and calm, just the way we like it.'
P1030198

The dogs were hot after their long walk and had to cool off in the fresh water stream.
P1030205

We bought a dress for Poppy to protect her from sunburn while she is naked but we forgot to put it on her.  The trail was mostly shaded but we didn’t stay on the beach very long.  I would hate for Poppy to get a sun burn on her newly exposed tender skin.

It’s been pretty quiet here except for the late afternoon when we got neighbors on either side of us moving in.  The ones on the south side of us provided some entertainment as they attempted to back in their 24’ travel trailer.  Apparently they have never heard of hand signals and it was a constant barrage of “back, back, left, NO… STOP…STOP, pull forward, now back, right, STOP…” .  Then the Mister would turn off the truck engine, get out and check his position, climb back into the truck and restart the engine, and go through the whole routine one more time.  I didn’t think they were ever going to get that trailer parked.  I was about to ask Russ to go over and back it in for them, but they finally managed to get the thing where they wanted it and quiet returned…except for the constantly whining Basset Hound on the north side of us!  Oh well, seems like everyone is enjoying the great weather and having a grand time.

Oh, that surprise Russ commented on in my last post… He gave me a hint.  He said it was big and round…
P1030210

This was the bag of squishy globs of sugar coated sugar that I refused to buy last time we went shopping together.  Shows you what happens when I let him off leash to roam the supermarket unattended.

P1030211

I was really hoping for an air card but I guess that will have to wait for another time.  Maybe I will buy that as a surprise for him!!

We met fellow bloggers, Jeff and Sheryl Bright.  They are one of the host couples here at Washburne.  We were gong to get together last night and learn to play Mexican Train but I decided I needed to take a pain pill and go to bed.  I was aching pretty bad from my fall and needed a good night’s rest.  We hope to get together on Saturday afternoon and learn some of these games that ya’ll seem to play!

That’s all for now…hope the sun is out where you are.  We are sure enjoying it here.

13 comments:

  1. So, did you roast those super marshmallows over the fire? Talk about a sugar high!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you found the sun -- and the blue sky! How many of those super marshmallows did you allow Russ to have? Sorry about your fall, but you're right -- it could've been worse! I try & do everything I possibly can to keep from falling -- it's embarassing when you can't get back up...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, the most common form of campground entertainment--watching new arrivals trying to back into their sites, especially in parks where there are trees.

    I'm sorry to hear about your exiting accident. The same thing happened to me when we were at Honeyman State Park one time, only Poppy wasn't there. I did it all on my own. And it was a tree root that I tripped on as I exited. The result was the same, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry to hear about your 'spill'..I took one a few years ago on the Port Orford Heads Trail..wearing shorts!..it was a nasty one!..darn roots!!
    did you make some smores with those tasty globs of sugar??/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your black dog could have been Jesse's twin until yesterday! Looks like a great campground!

    ReplyDelete
  6. RE: the marshmallows!! No S'Mores. Didn't have the rest of the needed ingredients. Poppy, who has never been fond of the campfire, has developed a pathological fear of such and so we didn't make a fire at Washburne. Even the neighbor's campfire scared her so badly she tried to hide in teh bathroom and then tried to dig a hole in the carpet. Maybe she thought she could dig to China and get away from the fire...don't know! Russ ate two of those marchmallows and I had to stop him from eating a third. Later his blood sugar was up over 400! Sometimes I wish he was not too big to paddle!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the sound of that under used campground with no neighbors for sure. Luckily we aren't marshmellow people or else I would look like the Michelin Man. I know about embarrassing tumbles. I once pulled into a busy big box store on my motorcyle, shut off the engine & cooly climbed off my bike. Problem was, I had forgot to put the kickstand down first. Now, that was embarrassing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those marshmallows are looking so good I may have to go to the store. But like Russ, Jim would eat them and then his blood sugar would go sky high.
    Be careful with those falls. The one I took when I missed a step out of our fifth wheel, ended up with me with a broken ankle, ruptured achilles tendon and in a wheel chair for four months. I am so careful now and I don't care how goofy I look. Sure hope the aches and pains aren't too bad tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooops ... happy to hear there was no significant damage as a result of the tumble you took. Now that it's out, let's hope the sun stays out so you can enjoy it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! Sorry about your spill out the door! Glad it was only a small amount of injury to report and hope you're much improved by now! Sounds like us women-folk~always watching out for the others and usually not ourselves!

    I've seen those marshmallows...why do they keep making so many varieties of e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.?????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you weren't hurt worse than a few scrapes and bruises falling out of the MH. Falls can be nasty things. Sure looks like a nice state park you found. I think I remember seeing that one on our way past this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear about your tumble. Looks like a great park. Did Russ roast you one of those big ole marshmallows?

    ReplyDelete