October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lincoln City, OR

Monday, June 6, 2011

Monday was back to the same-O, dreary, gray coastal weather.  We wanted to do more exploring of Lincoln City but ended up going to only one beach.

One of our favorite stopping places in Lincoln City is D River State Park, billed by the city as the shortest river in the world.  This river flows only 120 feet from Devils Lake to the ocean. 

P1030267

Of course the dogs wanted to get into the river first thing.  Rusty always wants to lay down and make sure he soaks up plenty of water.  This helps him gather up sand in his fur so he can take it with him when he gets back into the car.

P1030263

Poppy, on the other hand, is more circumspect in her water adventures and considers it daring if she gets wet clear up to her knees.  Her skin is looking much better and she even has some hair growing back already.  What do you think…should we shorten the rest of her coat to make her a little more uniform or just leave her as is?

P1030266

Even with the dreary weather, there were several families enjoying this wide expanse of beach.  This is usually a favorite place for kite flyers but the wind was almost non-existent today so only one little girl had a kite in the air.

P1030275

The beach here is wide and the sand soft and not at all rocky.  There are several hotels with direct beach access and the beach just seems to go on forever. 

To the north…
P1030269
…and to the south…
P1030268

We also drove through the Devil’s Lake State Park.  This is a small campground right on the lake and has a boat dock and cable TV…but no Wi-Fi.  Oddly, the D River day use area does have Wi-Fi.  I wonder how long it will be before more state parks provide this benefit?  Hopefully, it is a growing trend.  (Where’s my air card, Russ?).  I was driving so didn’t get any photos of the park but you can get a look if you follow the link above.

Years ago, there used to be a go-cart track, bumper cars, and bumper boats in a little area at the north end of town.  We spent many happy hours in these activities when the kids were little.  Sadly, that bit of recreation went away years ago.  There was also a place called Pixieland, a small amusement park.  I think the season for those types of activities is just too short along the Oregon coast and the economy takes its toll.

This little clip was filmed about 22 years ago in Lincoln City.  The people in the video are Russ (he's easy to spot), our son Joel, niece Misti, and sister, Laila.



We also always loved to eat at Li’l Black Sambo’s, a restaurant themed on the fable of the same name.  I am not going to get into the political correctness of this name…you can read about it by following the link and make your own determination.  Anyway, the name has since been changed to Sambo’s and that is only in small letters at the bottom of the sign.  The fable itself I always thought was a charming tale that spoke to the hazards of greed.  The name…well, you decide.  I know they used to serve a great breakfast here and the pancakes were wonderful.  Didn’t stop here this trip.

P1030279

I had a couple request to see Poppy in her pretty pink polka dots so here she is.  She wouldn’t look at me so I had to sneak up on her to get the photo.  I think she looks rather put out about the whole business.

P1030285

It is Tuesday morning as I write this.  We are heading out this morning for a drive to Grand Ronde and lunch at Spirit Mountain Casino with Russ’s sister and BIL  They are some of our very favoritist of folks and we always enjoy visiting with them.  If all goes according to plan, we will travel with Alice and Elmer to Yellowstone and the Tetons this fall.  (are you listening Alice and El?) 

From there we will go on to Clackamette Park in Oregon city and stay there for a few days.  There is no internet there but there is a Mickey D’s right up the hill.  I always have trouble uploading from McDonalds so I may be out of touch for a few days.

Ya’ll have fun and for those of you on the road…safe travels to you.

6 comments:

  1. We're staying in McMinnville at Olde Stone Village for two more days. This is a very nice park with good wifi. We paid less than $30 per night with our Good Sam discount. We're not planning on going to the beach during this trip, so I was glad to see your pictures.

    If you come east on Highway 18, be sure to look for the new Evergreen Aviation waterpark with the 747 on top of the building. If you look closely, you can see that's where the waterslides are coming from. Very photogenic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the picture of Poppy. She looks great, but don't think she thinks much of it...:) Stay cool..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun, even with the gray skies. I think a hair cut would be good for summer, then it can grow out evenly. Just my thought. Also, when we were at the state parks last month they told us that the company that used to host all the Oregon state park WiFi went out of business and so they no longer have a provider. That is why the old information says WiFi available, but it no longer is. Hopefully they will get someone back to provide service since it is such a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since you asked, I think you should just let Poppy's fur grow out some and then even it up later.

    Thanks for posting the pics of the beach at Lincoln City. We've spent some great days there so good memories!

    As for the restaurant name, I can understand why they changed it. It might have been o.k. year's ago, but times have changed. I don't think it's 'politically correct', just 'correct'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like going for a beach walk when it's overcast; I find them moody and charming then ... often there's no one else around either and that suits me just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. poor Poppy!..I say just leave it as is..it will grow eventually!..great shots of the beach even on a gray day!!..we stayed at Pelican Shores Inn last summer when we were there!..loved it!!..right on the beach..now that was perfection!!

    ReplyDelete