My brother is a show breeder and well respected expert and author on the subject of German Shepherds. We are all well versed in the dangers of hip dysplasia. Merry questioned the owner of Lucy’s parents carefully on this subject and they insisted that neither of the parents nor the grandparents had any problems. I think they either misrepresented the truth or are just ignorant of the facts. I am so sad for Lucy and for Merry.
♥♥♥
The evening was cooling off nicely and we settled down in our snug little bunks for a good night’s sleep when BAM – the sky lit up like Times Square on New Year’s Eve and the heavens roared and rumbled like Russ’s stomach right before a good meal…maybe even louder.
Now most of you have been in a thunder storm in your RV but this was our first time to experience the rumbling echoes inside a tin box while two fifty plus pound fur balls, overcome with terror, found new and inventive ways to drive their mommy and daddy CRAZY!
At home, Poppy runs for the bathroom at the first sign of a boomer. She wraps herself around the toilet and, thus hidden from the night terrors, passes the time with the door closed and the exhaust fan running at full speed. This way she feels cozy and safe and can barely hear the heavenly cacophony. The fantastic fans in the motor home were of no use as it was raining so they had to remain closed. We ran the fan on the roof A/C all night but even that was not enough to mask the noise of the thunder boomers. If you have ever been in central Oregon during a thunder storm, you know they don’t hold back – you get the whole shebang.
Rusty on the other hand has no such safe place and has no idea what to do with himself. He normally crawls into bed with us and lays shaking between our heads until the storm passes. Last night he took this behavior to new heights. First he wanted on Russ’s bed, then my bed, then he wanted on my pillows – the foot of my bed being deemed less safe than the head. Then he wanted down, then he scratched on the beds, then on the door…any door…then under the table, then back on the beds, then on the small dresser between the beds. He shook like Santa Claus’s tummy and the proverbial bowl full of jelly. He would not be comforted.
Meanwhile, Poppy knows there is a bathroom behind door number one and she is determined to go inside. The problem is, in a Lazy Daze, the water closet is tiny, and the toilet is perched on a small ledge with very little floor space below. On one side of the toilet sits a VERY small waste can and on the other, a toilet bowl cleaner. After denying her access for most of the night and trying every other method we could think of to clam her, I finally opened the bathroom door. She would barely fit on the floor but even that wasn’t good enough. More than once we had to disentangle her and forcibly remove her front leg from the waste can as she tried desperately to curl herself around the coolness of the toilet bowl. My hand towels and wash clothes which normally sit on a low shelf, were scattered on the floor and in the waste can and the toilet bowl cleaner came crashing down more than once. Finally, about 4:30 this morning, Poppy became convinced that she could hide on the small floor portion of the bathroom and I turned on a portable fan and closed the door as far as it would close without totally squishing her and she fell into a fitful sleep.
Not so with Rusty. He had me up ALL night. Finally, as Poppy calmed down, I took Rusty out into the living area and closed the door so Russ could get some sleep. Since more of the same was forecast for tonight, we had determined that we were heading for home ASAP. Russ needed some sleep so he could drive us home.
I tried to get a little rest on the narrow sofa – no WAY! Rusty jumped on me, laid on my feet, jumped off, went under the table, scratched at the sofa, crawled down into the driver’s foot well, climbed out and into the passengers foot well, scratched at the windows, stuck his head under the curtains and on and on. Finally about 5:30 I gave up, got dressed and took him outside for a long walk. The sky was still angry but the boomers had stopped and I thought I could walk the restlessness out of him. We did have a nice walk and I walked within 6 feet of a small doe enjoying her breakfast al fresco. We nodded a greeting and she watched me carefully walk around her and she went back to her business. Rusty neither saw nor smelled the deer!!! That tells you how out of it he was.
So what does “I’m DONE” mean? I am seriously re-thinking all this travel business. Seems like every time we go anywhere there is a problem. Either I am sick, or Russ is sick, or I fall down the steps, or Rusty cuts his leg, etc., etc. There are always problems with the dogs. I did not want to keep carrying their home beds into and out of the motor home so I bought them brand new beds…same kind, from Costco. Nice clean soft beds that don’t stink. They HATE them. Rusty tried and tried last night to “make” his bed to his liking and I even joined in – nothing doing. Just too new and soft. And speaking of beds…it it WALL TO WALL dog beds when we go. I am always tripping over a dog bed or a water dish or a bowl of dry food.
I just think the whole idea of travel is too much trouble. All we do is work. We work for days getting ready to go – loading up, topping off gas, propane, water…washing bugs off…you all know the drill. Then we go for one frigging night, get NO sleep, and come home and do the whole process in reverse. NOT WORTH IT! And I know one thing for sure…if I EVER get back in that motor home it will be without the dogs. They are too old and too set in their ways and they just want to be in their own home in their own beds. The only reason they want to go is they don’t want us to go without them. If we just stayed home 100% of the time and devoted all our time and attention to them, THEN they would be perfectly happy. So since they are old and we chose to be their parents, I guess that is what we need to do. Beyond that, I am too tired to think. Think I'll go take a nap.
I'm so sorry to hear about your traveling troubles with the dogs, Donna. If you don't mind a couple of unsolicited ideas, the first idea is that you can get covers for your Fantastic Fans. We leave ours open in all kinds of weather now that we have covers.
ReplyDeleteMy second idea may not work (remember, I'm not a dog owner). Could you put the dogs' old beds in the motorhome and use the new beds at home? Just a thought.
Hope things look brighter after your nap. You'll get it all figured out in time!
Oh Darlins,
ReplyDeleteI think you're in the midst of the break in blues, trying to find your stride.
One thing I can suggest, quit trying to clean Therapy every time you get home. Back before we full timed. everything we ever needed (except fresh food) was kept in the rig. We would often come home from work on a Friday and decide, spur of the moment, to take off for the weekend. It made it so much easier, both coming and going to not have to reload. Often, we'd just stop at a grocery store and pick up what we needed, easy peasy.
As to the dogs, you have my sympathy. I don't know if you knew we used to have 4 dogs that we'd take with us. Once they all passed and we knew we wanted to travel, we decided against any more. And you know what? We still love dogs, but there are ALWAYS dogs around, so we have no problem getting a pooch fix.
Give yourself a break, and when you feel a bit better, go back and read some of your blog entries about the great things and places the motorhome has allowed for you.
And give yourself a break.
All that said, if you don't want Therapy any more, just drop her off at our house.
Kate
Yes, break-in blues. I'm so sorry, Donna, I listened to that storm last night and didn't think about it a bit. Abby isn't afraid, thank goodness. Take a breath, after you get some sleep, and think about the good stuff. Kate's idea of keeping Therapy loaded up is a good one, and maybe the old beds in the rig is another good idea. But most of all, maybe you can try a trip that is a bit longer, maybe without your poochie babies if they have a good place to be.
ReplyDeleteI remember some really great stories about your trip south to the desert, you were having fun, remember? It was cold and rainy and wintry in Oregon and the sun was out for you in Nevada. Sending along a big hug and some good thoughts to both of you.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey Donna, so sorry to hear you had a stressful time on your trip. It seems like you might have part of your answer about whether you should leave the dogs at home in their comfort zone when you are getting away for a few days - although I know that's not easy - I hate to leave my cats at home when we go away. Also, things always seem worse when you're exhausted as well, so hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is why I did not get another dog after loosing my last one. I am also catless for the first time.
ReplyDeleteHave you looked into a dog sitter?
Take a deep breathe and rest before you make any long term decisions. Things may look different in the morning. If not, then you move on...
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your troubles. It's not easy traveling with pets. We had two dogs and when we moved to the East Coast we gave them up to good families because we knew that not only was apartment living not going to suit them in the short term, but that we were going to be traveling more and that wouldn't be fair to them either. Alas, life is about choices. Perhaps a good night's sleep will help you find the answers you're looking for ... don't make any hasty decisions. You love your furkids and want what's best for them, but in the process don't forget that you need to do what's best for you too. If you give up your travel dreams for the wrong reasons, you might start resenting the furkids and that's not a good place to be in life.
ReplyDeleteGoing RVing for one or two days is so difficult. But I agree with leaving the rig loaded except for food. And get the bugs off and don't worry about the rest of it. Makes this as easy on yourself as possible.
ReplyDeleteWe have one dog who goes berserk (but ours are much smaller than yours) and even with her Thundershirt, we know we are not going to get any sleep until the thunder bumpers are good and over with. The other one just shakes and wants under the covers with us. We just realize that Scootz is going to be a mess for awhile but the next day or a couple of days later, when the weather is beautiful again it is still all so worth it.
Tomorrow will look much better after you get some rest.
I have no suggestions really. Maybe after a few days and some reflections you'll feel differently. It does sound like you have some decisions to make.
ReplyDeleteoh my Donna!..what a 'bad night'!..I am sure you will feel better after a nap..reminds us to tell you about the 'crazy cat stories'..if I was you I think I would take a trip without the 'furkids' and see how that goes!..it will give you new insight into life in a RV!..Tucker travels very well and adapts to most new surroundings so we are very fortunate..I feel your pain..a big cyber hug for you and Russ...sounds like you have some serious decisions to make..
ReplyDeleteOur Rusty is so afraid of storms!! He is a pacer. Then he tries to hide, but mostly he is back and forth. He barks and whines, and drives us nuts, but we just try to calm him and go on. I, like everyone before me, think you should think about your plans to travel for a while before you decide for good. Stay safe.
ReplyDeleteI've had dogs like that, but so far Katie isn't afraid of them, thank goodness. 4th of July used to be a nightmare for one dog as well as thunder storms, and I asked the vet for something to keep him calm. It worked like a charm, and he stayed pretty calm. Have you thought of asking your vet for something that might help? It would be good for you, but also good for them.
ReplyDeleteYou'll figure something out that will work.
Ok, Donna this is a test to see if it will except my post....
ReplyDeleteHere'e hopin!!
MikeMc
Donna, been a while since I've dropped by. As I read your blog my thoughts went to "The sun will come out tomorrow....". I do hope your sun came out and things have become more clear.
ReplyDelete