Wednesday we did a bit of sightseeing around Oregon City. We went downtown and walked along the river and got some pictures of the falls.
There were not as many boats in the water as there were last month, but we still saw some salmon being caught.
Do you know what this is?
It’s the other end of THIS:
“MY, what big TEETH you have.” “The better to steal your salmon with, my dear!”
“Sit down, lady. There are NO restrooms on this boat.”
And another:
And another…
Now you’re talking!!
Russ found some ancient hieroglyphics:
And Rusty found a great place to get in the water:
“Sorry Rusty, the leash is just TOO short for you to reach that tree!!”
Wednesday evening we went to see Red and his family. Red, incidentally, has a new blog up with a story I remember well from his younger days. Sometimes I think it might be better not to remind the old folks of those days so long ago!!
Anyway, Poppy and Rusty were SO happy to be off leash in a fenced yard that they ran around like dogs half their age! Suddenly, we heard Bekah yelling, “Poppy’s in the fish pond.” Now, John’s fish pond is not exactly a fish pond. There have been no fish in there for quite some time but it is full of about 3-4 feet of scummy rainwater at the moment and not something Poppy would normally be drawn to. I can only surmise that in her frenzied joy at being unleashed, she wasn’t paying any attention to where she was going and thus fell into the pond. John ran out and rescued her (she was hanging onto the edge for dear life) and we dumped a bucket of warm water over her to get the yuk off and she is none the worse for wear. She will get a proper bath now that we are home. I should have taken a picture but I was too concerned with getting Poppy taken care of that I didn’t think of it. She sure looked chagrined at the whole matter and tried to make us believe she went in on purpose, but we know better.
While we were there, Russ got tired and took his usual late afternoon nap. He had a napping partner, Pita, John and Joni’s old kitty cat.
John and Joni adopted Pita from a shelter when she was around three years old. That was about 12 years ago. Pita has always been tiny but now she is old and has long term health problems and weighs less than 5 lbs. She is still spunky though. She held her ground against both of my dogs and they quickly learned that this was HER house and they backed off and deferred to Miss Pita.
The river at Clackamette Park was way up from when we visited just last month. That’s the sidewalk all covered with water. Rusty thought it was a great place to wade! I’m not sure I would be brave enough to park where that motorhome is parked – that was the camp host!!
Thursday we went to see our daughter Merry and her family. Our granddaughter, Anna, was graduating from Jr. High and so we celebrated with her. Where did the years go?
Thursday evening we were relaxing at the park when I heard a sound I haven’t heard in a LONG time – the sound of an ice cream truck! We all know those treats are over-priced but somehow, they just taste better when you buy them from the ice-cream man. We saw him making his way through the park and rushed out to meet him. There were more grown-ups lined up to sample his wares than there were kids! Guess there’s a little kid in all of us.
We also were treated to a gorgeous sunset over the river that night. We tried to get a photo but the little point and shoot just doesn’t do sunsets very well. If we had taken the time to get out the tri-pod and set up the big camera the sunset would have been long gone so this is the best I could do. Doesn’t do it justice but you get the idea.
This morning I was just too lazy to cook breakfast. Truth be told, I am SICK TO DEATH of the smoke alarm going off! No I do not burn everything but the smoke alarm is (in my humble opinion) way too close to the stove and no matter what I do the alarm goes off several times every time I cook. It’s so bad that when I start getting out a pot or a pan, Poppy runs for the bedroom and wants to hide until it’s all over. Russ took them for a walk yesterday morning when I cooked breakfast.
So anyway, this morning we decided to go out. We followed the GPS directions to a Denny’s that was no longer there, then to an IHOP that was now for lease. Finally we saw a place called simply “Hales”. Now our daughter is married to a Hale and so we thought this might be a good choice. Turns out we were right. This is a little restaurant about two miles from the park.
The interior is nicely done with several different seating areas.
The breakfast was not cheap but it was delicious and definitely worth waiting for. I would recommend this restaurant if you are in the area.
Well, if you have made it this far, I am surprised. Sorry, just too much catching up to do. So now you have come to the end so I shall say “Good-bye” for now” and I am going to go read YOUR blog…I’m kinda behind and missing it.
Forgot to say "Thank You" tp Russ for supplying most of today's photos. And especially for the new header shot. I love this view as you come around the curve going south from Heceta Head. You can see all the way to Florence.
ReplyDeleteI just took the smoke alarm down, i mean it went off when i used the toaster!!!! Not safe, i know, but....
ReplyDeletewelcome home Russ and Donna!..quite the finish to your trip!!..poor Poppy!!..falling in the fish pond full of pond scum is no fun at all!..Russ is such a trooper, posing for the pictures!..love it!!!
ReplyDeleteOur last rv had a smoke alarm that went off all the time - we finally had to take it down. Again, not safe - but I think the unit should be tested at the manufacturer to see how "touchy" the alarm is - perhaps then a design change could be made. The alarm is ok in this unit. Good pics!
ReplyDeleteI read somewhere to put a shower cap over it when you cook. We took the one down in our kitchen here at the house. We will have to put it back up someday if we try to sell the place.
ReplyDeleteI'd take the battery out of that smoke alarm! My dgt is also married to a Hale -- geez, we're prob related...LOL! I too am behind on my blog -- will catch up soon. Great pics as usual!
ReplyDeleteOur smoke alarm only seems to go off when Jim fixes breakfast. So he just takes it down till he's done cooking and then puts it back up. The girls just hate it and hide when it goes off. I feel so bad for Poppy. I bet she was really sad. Love the sunset picture. And welcome home.
ReplyDeleteEvery time I cook mine goes off, too, so I took the battery out. I figure if I'm standing there and a fire starts, I'll know.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog, very newsy. You've been busy! Must be nice to be home. :)
The reflection of the sunset on the water was beautiful. Glad your back on the internet now that you are home! It's always fun to read about your adventures.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you guys are enjoying your self's,good to get out and have fun.We are waiting for the week to go by so we can head out on vacation. be safe out there. Sam & Donna.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you have had a busy time. Beautiful grand daughter. The Poppy story is so cute. Stay cool.
ReplyDeleteLots of great pictures from waterfalls to a pretty good looking breakfast. Oh yeah - the pics of Russ are pretty good too! Probably not much you can do with the smoke alarm except take the battery out, buy a new one and locate it somewhere else.
ReplyDeleteMy smoke alarm goes off when I use my toaster. If I put my AC on while I'm using the toaster or cooking then it won't go off.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed your post.
I guess the not to do is...cook. That works for me.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Poppy ... can't stand the shrill sound of the fire alarm ... luckily, ours seem to be a fair distance from the stove, so we've only had to deal with it once when a piece of bread that was caught in the bottom started to smoke.
ReplyDelete