If you are a regular reader, you know that Poppy is blind now, or nearly so. It’s evident by the way she bumps into furniture, trips over small objects, and carefully picks her way across the yard. She flinches if something gets close to her face. Whether she sees it or just senses the proximity of an unknown object, we have no way to tell.
But one thing we DO know; Poppy loves her rides as much as she ever has and she at least pretends to be seeing something. People say dogs only live in the moment and have no way to relate to things that have happened in the past. I wonder about the accuracy of that statement.
When Poppy sits and looks out
Is she remembering trips in the motorhome and all the places we have visited together?
I know she enjoys just being i
She loves to have the window down so she can feel the wind in her face and sniff the delicious aromas of cows and horses!!
She appears to be watching intently as we go down the road, but as we know, she isn’t seeing much.
But in her mind is she remembering, or is she seeing reflections of travels and rides from her past?
I hope Poppy’s reflections on her past are as as beautiful to her as her reflection in a dark window glass is to us. I think she remembers.
I am sure the rides are very soothing to her. How could she forget how tender and loving you two have been to her. She remembers it all!
ReplyDeleteOh I love that last photo of her image in the window! I agree that dogs live in the moment, don't we all? Meaning that we experience each moment in life. And I also believe that dogs have strong memories! Otherwise, why would they get so excited over visiting familiar places again. Why would they get excited over seeing people & friends they know again. Why would they consider certain people & animals as friends if they didn't have memories? They are smarter than some folks give credit for.
ReplyDeleteOne of my biggest regrets after losing Bravo was that I didn't take him to PetSmart often enough. He loved that store. He loved all the attention he got & meeting other dogs & people. He was such a cool dog & I miss him dearly.
One of my friends dogs is losing her sight now too. But she's coping quite well with it. If you give her a treat, you have to be sure to have it by her mouth because she can't find it. Especially if you drop it to the ground. But her sense of smell & sound really seem to be increasing. She has some terrier in her & the terrier senses seem to be taking over to some degree. Now her goal is to seek out vermin where as before, she didn't really care.
Keeping them happy & healthy is our job. Our reward is having them in our lives :-)
Hugs to Poppy!!
You hit the nail on the head! Having Poppy in our lives is all the reward we need. I'm sure you feel the same about your babies.
DeleteLike you, I'm not sure what Poppy sees, but what I do know is she sure looks happy and content riding in the car with you.
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos of Poppy too.
Thanks, Rick. I love to take photos of her and since she can't see the camera anymore, she lets me!! She used to look away when I pointed a camera at her. She is never more content than when she is riding in the car.
DeleteShe's happy. That's what's important. I know that dog's 'memories' are scent based. So when she smells the grass, the flowers, the cows and the horses, maybe there is some picture that floats thru her brain of when she could see. But above all, and most important, she's just plain happy to be along for the ride.
ReplyDeleteThat's right Ruth, she's always up for a ride, no matter how she might be feeling otherwise. Right now, it's very hot here so we have to leave her at home when we go to the store. She's not used to that and she doesn't like it much!!
DeleteI have no doubt that they remember all the good memories as well as bad. Why else would a dog who's been abused be so afraid. And why would Poppy want to go for a ride if she didn't remember how wonderful it felt to have the wind blowing in her face with all those wonderful smells. I love TexCyn's statement that our reward is having them in our lives. We live our life around the girls and I wouldn't have it any other way.
ReplyDeleteMy Picabo, a yellow lab, lost much of her sight as well. We kept her safe and she seemed to do fine in known areas. I'm sure Poppy knows your love and feels safe with you.
ReplyDeleteThe picutures show it is obvious she enjoys the experience of the ride. What a blessing that you are able to find ways to make her time enjoyable for you both.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos of beautiful Poppy. She is such a sweet dog. The driving probably makes her feel enclosed and safe, and she's close to you, so that also a big plus. I'm glad you both recognize how much she likes taking a drive and then fulfilling her wish. :)
ReplyDeleteDonna, I'm so glad you make these posts into a book once or twice a year. Because these thoughts you put to words on here are treasures you will cherish in those books for years to come
ReplyDeleteDonna, what a beautiful post and what a beautiful love the three of you share.
ReplyDeleteThank you Betty. Poppy is certainly one of the best things that has ever happened to us. Cannot believe that someone would abandon her but lucky for us that they did.
DeleteI was almost afraid to open your post today... but cried happy tears instead of the sad ones I expected. Lucky you... Lucky Poppy... what a perfect match.
ReplyDeleteI think Poppy sees through her memory. I know people think dogs don't have memories and don't grieve. I've never seen dogs mourn as Jack and Lizzie mourned when Rich died, and then when Lizzie died, Jack's heart was broken.
ReplyDeleteI think having had sight in her life, Poppy may be seeing things in her mind through smell. I once asked a friend who had been blind from birth what she saw. She said, "I see nothing. People ask if I see black or grey but I don't know what black or grey is. I see nothing." People who have seen the color green know what it is. They can picture a green tree because they have seen it before.
The motion of the car may be comforting to Poppy. She is such a beautiful pup. She LOOKS so content and happy. I'm so glad that she has been with you and Russ--even if she can't see or hear, she knows she is loved--she feels it.
I've noticed that Jack is not hearing as well as he once did, but I just have to say the word truck and he's up and ready to go. He actually came upstairs for the first time in a long time, today, when I was in the shower so I know his legs/hips are feeling much better. He likes a dab of Oil of Olay on his nose in the mornings. Girly dog. Don't you wish they lived as long as we do. I get weepy any time I think of my sweet Lizzie. She was really the reason I took the trip in 2010. I saw her everywhere I went, and I truly believe that it helped my grief and Jack's grief. Well, here I've practically written a blog, again. My apologies. Just one more thing. I got a book made of my trip, and I'm so glad I did. I'm also glad to hear that you are getting them, too, Donna.
I felt the same way, a little hesitant to read a new post about Poppy, but was delighted to hear how much she is still getting out of life--even without her sight. Love the header photo and the reflection of Poppy in the window.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure she just loves the extra attention. Dogs are much smarter than they are given credit for but I think you already know that. Poppy is a sweetie.
ReplyDeleteHaving a dog like Poppy is such a special thing for us humans. I think they know it's special too.
ReplyDeleteOld dogs ROCK!! She is still showing us how to grow old, not only with dignity and grace, but without losing that zest for life, even if it is expressed with less vigor.
DeleteYour post about Poppy brings tears to my eyes. I can tell you love her very much. Our pets give us so much and ask for so little in return...
ReplyDeleteThank you Cheryl. If there are angels on earth, I think they would be our pets.
DeleteShe remembers, of course she does!!!
ReplyDeletePoppy is very lucky to have you, just as you are to have her!
ReplyDeleteCant say much that hasnt already been said. My beloved Duke aka Doodlebugs, loved tummy rubs like Poppy likes her car rides. Amazing how little they ask of us in return for how much they give us.
ReplyDeleteI wish we knew the answer to that. We do know that dogs can sense a danger before if gets close. Perhaps Poppy is sensing things in doggy fashion and is content with that. We know that she is content just being with you on an adventure.
ReplyDeleteNice to spend time with you yesterday!
That Poppy just must know how to let you know .... it's time to hit the road and let the air blow through my pretty coat and fluffy ears.
ReplyDeletesweetest pictures of that little face and beautiful eyes!
ReplyDeleteShe looks very happy riding in the car. Animals are much smarter than humans give them credit I think. It wouldn't surprise me if the smells wafting in the air trigger memories.
ReplyDeleteI also think that Poppy remembers all of the good times she has had in the past traveling in both the car and the motorhome. It is really nice that you take her on these rides, both for her and for you.
ReplyDeletePoppy is such a beautiful elegant lady! I don't know the answers either but I do think they remember and perhaps it is brought on by smell. Whatever it is, it's good and it's working for Poppy. So glad she is enjoying the rides and it's probably a good thing for you and Russ also, to get out for a bit and enjoy the sights. Ur all 3 in my prayers-praying y'all can continue to enjoy ur short trips and each other's company. She is a lucky lady to have u both and u both are so blessed to have such a sweet lady to share ur lives with! Happy 4th!
ReplyDelete