Today, Jerry and Suzy wanted to visit the Market. What are we to do? They’re visitors from far away and we want them to experience Eugene! So we went!
Located in what used to be called the fountain blocks, the market has grown over the years to encompass several blocks. The fountain hasn’t functioned for years that I know of, but the old-timers still know where it was. There are many (can’t even guess, but probably over 150) booths containing every manner of craft imaginable.
There is a large contingent of local food vendors as well, but it was early in the day and we didn’t pay much attention to the food (yet!).
Shade and grassy areas help visitor and vendor alike to stay cool on warm summer days such as today. Unfortunately, this venue is NOT dog friendly due to city ordinances.
Suzy found something right
I liked the beautiful display of etched glass and the tiny blown glass wind catchers.
There are many art and tattoo and face painting boo
One of the blocks is reserved for the Farmer’s Market. There are lots of fresh fruits and veggies here, as well as flowers, plants, baked good, even fresh meat! We all tried a bit of something and Suzy and I both came home with half flats of berries and boy, are they ever yummy.
Oh, YUM!!
Can’t leave the market without giving a nod to its origins.
If you want to "get your hippie on,” there is no place quite like Eugene.
They even had tie dye candles.
Lastly, I leave you with this short (27 second) snippet of a sampling of the many street musicians to be found at the Market. Most of them were pretty bad, but what the hey, they’re having fun. The first guy in this clip was so cute and smiley that I had to drop a couple of dollars in his guitar case.
So thanks Suzy sand Jerry for spending some time with us and for introducing us to yet another wonder right here in our own backyard.
Paul and I loved the Market. We bought several items for Christmas. Yes, we got our hippie fix that day before meeting you two for lunch. What a hoot.
ReplyDeleteDid you come home looking like Sonny and Cher?
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure I should confess that this is totally my scene, man.
ReplyDeleteBut of course you should!! I am just too buttoned down for my own good LOL!! Come to Eugene, we'll take you to the Market.
DeleteFunny reading this as we drove up to Portland today for the Portland Saturday Market. We had not been there for years either but I was looking for the perfect pottery wine glass. Pottery is obviously not "in" right now but textiles obviously are -including lots of tie dye! The market was a mix of everything funky and cool that is Portland. You would have loved it, Duck!
ReplyDeleteTry Eugene Saturday Market. They had several booths with pottery. Also some pottery trivets that I thought were really neat.
DeleteI always like to look but rarely buy:)
ReplyDeleteDave and I visited the Twisp, WA, Saturday Market today. It was small, with lots of glassware and baskets. I bought cherries and raspberries--yummy! Good music, too, but I forgot to take a video.
ReplyDeleteI love the Saturday Market in Eugene. There's a woman there who makes tiny fabric cranes with little jewels and tokens. Cali's dog tag came from there too!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/desertdiva/sets/72157631050700040/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/desertdiva/sets/72157624634291254/
I'm drooling over the food that you ate there...
Donna, you're too much, getting this post out so quickly, when I haven't even downloaded our pictures! I'll have to admit we made three stops on the way home (including Costco) and then took a different route (through Lowell). So hang on, we'll get ours out one of these days! What a fun day we had!
ReplyDeleteyou know the saying about what is old is now new. the younger ones love the tie dye. Little Nicole loves anything tye died or with a peace sign at the ripe old age of 10
ReplyDeleteI've also avoided some Saturday Markets -- too many crafts and whatnot that I am not interested in, not enough of the stuff I am interested in. Every once in a while, though, we go as they can make for a colorful outing. The only one we visited since we got on the road was in Ocean Springs, MS ... it was a bit of a bust.
ReplyDeleteI prefer a farmer's market that has lots of produce. It's been too cold in Minnesota to grow much of anything yet.
ReplyDeleteMilwaukie has their own little Sunday Market but my very favorite is Astoria's Saturday Market...Four blocks long, All white tents, lots of food and music, and Columbia River Traffic in the background.
ReplyDeleteI notice both you and Russ passed up on the fruits and veggies for some very healthy, hippie-loving pastries?? Perhaps you both sampled a few medicinal cookies before making that choice?
ReplyDeleteDidn't have to sample the cookies (or brownies!), just walk along the perimeter and inhale LOL!! We did bring home a large box of mixed berries and they are some of the best ever.
DeleteLove farmers market. Stopped earlier today here in NJ and got me some tomatoes, cukes, bell peppers, honey, yams and delicious NJ Silver Queen white corn.
ReplyDeleteNow, for the tied dyed clothes. My older daughter (46) although born in the 60's is a child of the 60's. (Bet she's had a share of medicinal brownies). Wears tied dyed, even dyes her own. When living in the San Francisco area after college was even a Deadhead. I am betting she would have loved that market.
I am thinking you liked it too.
I am a farmer's market junkie--but not because of the medicinal herbs. I just love the atmosphere of colorful fruits and vegies and the musicians who also make it a festive atmosphere. Sometimes I get lucky and find wine tasting, cheese, and chocolate--some of my weaknesses.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun you had! I love farmer's market but I always tend to buy more than we can possibly eat because it's all so delicious.
ReplyDeleteCandy
Glad you finally made it to the Eugene Farmer's Market...it's actually one of our most favorite farmers makets (ever!). If we're in Eugene we'll try to book the week-end just so we can make it there. Next time we're in town we'll have to drag you back there.
ReplyDeleteNina
Been there many times! I got my granddaughter some tie dyed toilet paper when she was being potty trained, and didn't want to go poo-poo on the potty. Worked like a charm!
ReplyDeleteYay, you did the Market, in all its hippie glory. Hope we get to stop over in Eugene, but not for MH repairs!!
ReplyDelete