October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Picture Perfect Day

As some visitors to our illustrious state have learned, May and June in Oregon can come with some pretty nasty weather. Summer doesn’t make a sustained appearance until around the 4th of July.  The coast can be especially nasty, with fog, cold winds, and generally miserable conditions.  And then sometimes nature bestows a gift of The Perfect Day.  I guess it was our turn because that’s the kind of day we had.

Saturday we had planned to work in the yard.  But even in a stix and brix, plans can be made of Jell-O.  Poppy, uncharacteristically, woke each of us up early and seemed to want to get on the move.  What are we to do?  Stay home and work or take the advice of our old dog and hit the road?  It was free fishing day in Oregon so a drive upriver didn’t seem like a good idea, but the coast seemed a reasonable alternative.  At our age, spontaneity is to be treasured and never wasted.

We loaded up and headed out.  First stop was for a great breakfast in Harrisburg at the Grubstake Restaurant.  Then on through Peoria and a quick stop at the Mennonite Country Bakery for a couple of maple bars.

We drove the back roads,trip map even opting to take Hwy 34 out of Philomath rather than Hwy. 20 to Newport.  Hwy. 34 is a narrow, winding road but the scenic value is well worth the extra time it takes.  Lots of 20 mph curves on this road!!





DSCN1176On the route we saw a sign for the Alsea Fish Hatchery.    If you have read my blog before, you know that we love fish hatcheries.  There is always something unexpected and always grass, trees, shade, picnic tables and just a peaceful atmosphere.

There was a display of some kind of exotic pheasant and quail here at this hatchery.  Never did see anyone around to ask and there was no sign, but the birds were pretty cool.
P1030969
P1030965







DSCN1151

The grounds were beautiful and we spent a lot of time just walking around enjoying the ambiance.  Poppy enjoyed the smells!!
P1030970
See that motorhome tucked up under the trees on the left?  That’s where the volunteer lives.  I think if I ever do any volunteering, it might be at a fish hatchery!!

DSCN1173
Of course hatcheries need water and right across the parking area there is a small stream.  It is public fishing access and signs invite fishermen to park at the hatchery.  How cool is that!  This is a hatchery specimen and is not involved in the free fishing!!


P1040006
The stream was one of those perfectly clear, gurgling brooks that make you want to throw a line in the water (or sit and read a book!).  Even though it was free fishing day, there was not one person trying their luck.  That’s another thing I like about fish hatcheries – no one goes there!!!

As we neared the coast, we stopped andDSCN1182 explored several parks and campgrounds.  A hidden gem was this Benton County Park, Salmonberry Campground.  Although at $25 for electric only hook-up, it seems a bit spendy for a county park, it was clean, quiet and under used.  The park has a total of 28 sites plus a yurt.  The access was easy and the sites were all paved.

P1040010

The route follows along the Alsea River and its tributaries so there are many boat launches and picnic areas.  Here’s a boat launch not for the faint of heart.DSCN1209


I assume the rope at the top is to keep the boat from getting away from you as it skids down to the river.
DSCN1214







The day just kept getting better the closer we got to the coast.  Obviously we took our time and made lots of stops.  Tune in tomorrow and I’ll show you some of the best June weather ever on the Oregon coast.  We had a great day!

15 comments:

  1. There is nothing better than a "perfect" day in the PNW. Clean air, clear water, no humidity and bright sun. I miss those perfect days on Whidbey Island Wa. Sometime you have to do what the "hounds" tell you to do. They know what's going on, sometimes better than their owners ... :)

    Great pics and am glad that you and Poppy had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the most beautiful and interesting bird I have ever seen. My dad loved fishng and we visited many hatcheries, they are funn
    Donna W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you all had a good day! can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right about the weather around the Pacific NW. I don't know why we get so many visitors early in the year. They'd be so much better off if they'd wait until July or August or September or even the first part of October. Summer just comes later to this part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these "perfect" days! Actually, any spring day without rain is somewhat perfect in my estimation. But when the sun is out, it's even better. I enjoyed seeing this part of your tour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect day is never to be wasted ... you done good by listening to Poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you took Poppy's advice. Looks like a wonderful day for all three!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure did take a scenic route. You two are the ones that turned us on to fish hatcheries. We really enjoy them also.

    Looks like an awesome day so far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In December of 06, I volunteered at the Bandon, OR, Fish Hatchery. It was an unforgettable experience!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Several years ago I met a couple who camp-hosted at Salmonberry Campground We became great friends and still keep in contact. What a small world...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go Poppy girl. Getting the folks up and going was a great idea on a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish the hatchery that we are working at was that nice! This one is not as public-minded as Alsea. No picnic tables, or other things to see. Matter of fact, right now, there are just some rainbow trout to look at. The Salmon are tiny still..3 inches or so, in murky water :) Hope you drop by sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi-way 34 is the same route we took earlier this year while towing our fifth-wheel. As you say, it is kind of twisting and turning but it is a nice, scenic drive.

    Sure is great weather now! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick you are a brave man to take that big fiver on Hwy 34!! It really is narrow and curvy. I'm not even sure I want to take the motorhome on it and we're kinda small.

      Delete
  14. Oh, I can't wait to see pictures of "MY" coast! How happy you must be to live in such a beautiful state. Even in the worst of rain and cold, it's beautiful. We generally hit it in good weather, but we had complete rain suits so that the rainy days didn't bother us and certainly didn't bother our two labs (once they got wet). Then, it was step in every puddle time. Keep your fingers crossed for me that we get to see it, again. I'm getting a little discouraged with this pain. I realized I took a chance, but I honestly didn't think I'd be in this much pain this far along. Pool tomorrow. Pats and hugs to Poppy. She knows how to enjoy life. :)

    ReplyDelete