October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Crater Lake

So much has been said about Crater Lake that I am not sure I have anything to add.  I can say that we had wonderful weather.  October 2, 2012, and it was warm, almost hot, and the sky was as blue as the lake. 

Pictures cannot begin to capture the beauty of Crater Lake, but it is impossible to go there and not take pictures. We have visited before, but you can never get enough. The blue is mesmerizing in its intensity and the sky today made an excellent counterpoint to the lake.  You’ve all read the statistics about the lake, so I won’t repeat them, HOWEVER, I am going to repeat some pictures.  Just can’t help it!  No retouching or color enhancing on any of these lake photos.  It REALLY is just that blue.
a1010800

a1010785

a1010792

We had Poppy and while dogs are allowed at the viewpoints, they are not allowed on any of the trails.  So we stuck with the viewpoints and that was probably good enough for us anyway.  
P1010781a

I didn’t see many birds today but I managed to grab this little guy.
P1010790

And this big guy.  That’s the lake in the background, not the sky.  This fella chatted with Russ awhile, no doubt asking for a handout.  When none was forthcoming, he became disgusted and flew away.
a1010807

As long as I’m talking about birds, Russ snapped this picture of a warm nest outside of the grocery store in LaPine.  The bakery sign will never be the same.  Looks like they pecked the “E” until it bled!!
b1010725

The retaining wall that runs along the rim at Rim Village is intended to keep stupid tourists from sliding down the steep, slick sides of the caldera.  We saw several people who had breached the wall and were sitting on the dirt near the edge.  Guess they can’t read.
P1010799

There was a worker who was repairing the brick work.
P1010801

I would have thought he would have a safety harness of some sort.  That bank is just as steep and slippery as it looks. I hope he doesn’t get a case of the sneezes!!

a1010791
Mt. Thielsen is showing in the background.  This peak is located north of Crater Lake and east of Diamond Lake. 

The trip to Crater Lake is well worth the time and effort.  It is a sight that is not to be missed.  My only complaint would be the chattering, noisy people who cannot seem to shut up, or get off their cell phone long enough to just listen to the sounds of nature.   I know it’s just my opinion, but there is something to be said for just a little reverence for such an awesome sight. 

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures of Crater Lake, Donna and Russ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It never grows old, no matter how many times you visit. I think I am not so fond of driving the road anymore though!!

      Delete
  2. My very favoritist place! I think that is one reason we have enjoyed hiking. We get away from the crowded areas. It is also one reason we do not have a dog. I miss my girls, but I would hate to leave them in the RV or be limited in where we go. Enjoy Poppy while you have her. Like I said, I miss my girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you're saying, Merikay. I miss Rusty so very much, still get choked up over him. But as much as I want another furry pal, I think he was my last. We will love Poppy and keep her going as long as we can but that's it for us. She's real good about waiting in the car (especially if there is bacon to be found!) but if there is no shade, we don't leave her.

      Once you have seen Crater Lake it does tend to become a favorite spot!!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos! That lake is obscenely blue - can't they put some brown on that thing?

    People are the dumbest animals sometimes. Oh yeah, let's totally go someplace beautiful so we can talk over it! Sometimes my wife says "Sure is quiet!" just to get my goat by the ears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful photos of Crater Lake..yet another place added to our list of must see's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never been there but your pictures are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should go if you ever get the chance. Crater Lake gives a whole new meaning to "Blue."

      Delete
  6. Joe and I love Crater Lake and are lookng forward t going back again someday. I agree with you, Nothing nicer than to just sit and "listen" to God's handiwork.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were upset that it was still closed in early June. But we can enjoy it through your wonderful photos. It looks absolutely fabulous.

    We too do not like the noisy people. Once we were on a huge hike and a couple in front of us thought they were the only ones in the world. They were talking so loud we could hear every word they were saying. We passed them as quickly as we could and practically ran the next mile just to get away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were lucky to get such a clear sky. Another blogger was just there and the smoke turned the sky gray so the water wasn't that wonderful blue. Great pictures of a special place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to go there someday, enjoyed your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I NEVER get tired of seeing pics from Crater Lake! Glad you're enjoying your time there!
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful! I agree about the cell phones. You just need to stop and enjoy the beauty around you - in peace and quiet!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful pics of Crater Lake. It brings back a lot of fond memories when I was there.

    ReplyDelete