October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Big Obsidian flow and Paulina Falls

Saturday found us back at the Newberry National Volcanic Monument to see some of the things we missed yesterday.  It is such a big area and our “can do” wears out a lot quicker than our “want to”…and so we just split the visit into manageable parts.

We stopped at the Paulina Visitors Center to get our National Parks Passport stamped.  You may remember that Judy designed the stamp for Grand Bay National Wildlife Reserve when she was volunteering there.  It’s just a fun way to keep track of the national parks and monuments that you visit.

There are always maps and other good information at the visitor’s centers so we try to stop at most of them.  The sign below gives a good overview of the Newberry Caldera area.  The Newberry Caldera is 17 square miles and estimated total volume is 120 cubic miles.  In comparison, Mount St. Helens is estimated to be 6 cubic miles. 
P1010677

The Big Obsidian flow is Oregon’s youngest lava flow, dating only 1300 years ago.  Under some of this flow there is pumice and ash from the Mt. Mazama eruption that happened over 7,400 years ago.  That is the eruption that formed Crater Lake.  From the parking lot, you can walk a short distance to stand at the bottom of the obsidian wall.  You can see huge boulders of obsidian sparkling amongst the lava and pumice rocks. 
P1010689

The sign below shows how massive the flow actually is.  The observable portion is only a small part of the entire flow.

P1010683

The trail to the top is steep and includes many stairs.  We did not feel we were up to that.  The surface of the trail at the top is ground obsidian (glass) and it is recommended that dogs NOT be walked on that trail.  WE still had a good time and enjoyed walking in the forest at the base of the exhibit.  When the sun shines on these rocks, they sparkle like glass…well, because they are!!

P1010694

P1010687
How’d you like to have that big hunk in your yard?  I mean the obsidian hunk, not Russ.  He stays in MY yard!!!

We missed Paulina Falls yesterday but it was well worth returning to see these falls that drop 100 feet.  There was not a lot of water going over but I can just imagine how wonderful this display is earlier in the year.  In May of 1983, a large section of the cliff between the falls, fell to the base of the falls due to erosion and freeze-thaw action behind the cliff face. 
P1010704

It is only a short walk from the parking area to the observation deck and picnic grounds.We walked for a way along this beautiful forest trail that goes along Paulina Creek.
P1010718

Here’s a short video of the falls in action.



This is a view of the creek below the falls.
P1010708

It seems that around every corner, even in the most unexpected places, there is a beautiful vista.  From meandering creeks, to rushing rivers; from tiny wildflowers to huge Ponderosa Pine trees, there is beauty everywhere you look.  I guess I can put up with being marooned on Gilligan's Island if I can enjoy such scenery.

17 comments:

  1. We loved that area. When we were there we stayed at Little Crater Campground and got a site right on Paulina Lake. One of the prettiest spots we've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget to get a National Wildlife Refuge Passport book the next time you visit a refuge. I have both, but the NWR book lists each refuge separately. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy, I didn't realize there were two separate books.

      Delete
  3. What a great park, it's on the list when we make it to Oregon.What a neat state to have so many attractions. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks beautiful. Water falls always give me energy for some reason, thanks for sharing the video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful area! You took some gorgeous pictures. I'd love to visit there.
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always room for one more here in Oregon!! Yes, there is always something to see and lots of variety.

      Delete
  6. Well, if I can't have Russ in my yard, I'll take the rock. Still, that beefcake shot on your header is hardly fair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT photos. I think Russ can pass as a hunk any day! Be sure you tell him I said that not Paul...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not only is it beautiful, I bet it smells wonderful there too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great info, add these to our list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    Will you please post a link to your Blog at The RV Living Community? Our members will love it.
    Members include: Full-Time RVers, Full-Time RV Living Enthusiasts and Experts, Etc.
    It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website. You can also add Articles, News, Photos, and Videos if you like.
    Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
    Please feel free to share as often and as much as you like.
    I hope you consider sharing with us.
    The RV Living Community: http://www.vorts.com/rv-living/
    Thank you,
    James Kaufman, Editor

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great waterfall pictures. I remember driving through that area years ago before we were RV'ers and seeing all that lava rock beside the roads. It sure brought back some good memories of a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oregon must lead the nation in beautiful waterfalls. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All that lava is a sight to see!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was only in the area such a short time I was not able to see all the sites you saw. Now I can view them through your pics. I will definitely be spending more time there the next time I pass through this area.

    ReplyDelete