October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Monday, October 8, 2012

An Example of Good Customer Service


I used to drink my coffee black.  I liked it that way and I never have liked sugar in my coffee.  Then I got some really strong coffee in a restaurant and I added cream to make it palatable.  OOOPS! My mistake.  I found out I liked it that way.

I was out of half ‘n’ half so I asked Russ to run into the little store in Prospect and pick up a pint.  He was back quickly but not with a pint of that delicious white cream.  The store was out and would not get any in until the next day.  BUT…the store also had a coffee machine.  Russ bought a couple of small items and as he was checking out the manager dumped two big handfuls of single serve half ‘n’ half into his bag (NOT that phony coffee creamer stuff).  “Trick or treat,” she said.  How nice was that???  Not something you expect to happen and it was sure nice.

We left Prospect and the Rogue Gorge behind to make our way to Roseburg, OR, about 120 miles northwest.  We took the scenic back road that runs past Diamond Lake.  We were treated to a  great view of Mt. Thielson (9,187 feet) , yet another of the volcanoes in the area.  I swear, if these volcanoes ever decided to come to life, Oregon is going to to turn into one big lava flow.
aP1010913

Just outside of Roseburg, Or, is Twin Rivers Vacation Park.  It’s really just an RV park with a high-falutin’ name!!  But it is nice.  It is right on the Umpqua River, but the high banks in the park are not good for access.  Still, the park was spotless and had huge sites.  The pull throughs had lawns the size of some people's backyards.  We took a smaller pull through at the front of the park so that we could connect to the internet from our space.  Otherwise, a trip to the office was required to get reception. We could have put about four Fits in this driveway.
aP1010914

Another view of the park.  This is a gated park but you are given an access code so coming and going is not a problem.  They had good cable TV so we got to watch the Ducks take care of business on Saturday night.  Otherwise, the TV stayed off.
P1010921

I just loved this big old tree.
P1010920
 
The is the entry to the park.
P1010922

And the owner’s back yard.
aP1010926

Directly adjacent to the park is River Forks Park, a Douglas County day use park.  Lots more grass and trees, and river access.  We had a good time walking in the park until the gunshots started!  No, not at us.  There is either a shooting range or there were hunters in the area nearby.  The shots were not that loud, but it was enough for Poppy to want to high-tail it back to the motorhome.  No amount of reassurance or cajoling was going to make a difference.  She was going back inside and that’s all there was to it.

P1010927

This is a beautiful area and only about 70 miles from Eugene.  The climate is drier here and the trees and lack of understory in the forests make it much different from Eugene.  I think I would like living in Roseburg.  We also drove through the Hi-Way Haven RV Park in Sutherlin, about 9 miles from Twin Rivers.  Although it was an interesting park built on the site of an old drive-in movie theater, it is really just a gravel parking lot with not much to recommend it except for the free movies.  It would be okay for an overnight stop though.

We discovered a couple of interesting sights in Roseburg.  One was an urban wildlife pond and the other a great farm market.  I’ll tell you about those tomorrow.  Here’s a teaser.
P1010935

‘Night all and thanks for stopping by.

16 comments:

  1. Donna, great post, as always. It's a breath of fresh air these days when we get good customer service.

    All your pictures are great. I kind of smiled when I saw the picture of Mt. Thielson. I have almost the exact same picture (if not the exact same) taken when Rich and I were there.

    Treated myself to a Thermos coffee mug for my trip. It's very good. I burned my tongue. :) I only like coffee once in a while, but love it when I'm camping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, just look at all the colors/shapes/sizes of those gourds/squash!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so loving following you on your fall trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photo of Mt Thielson -- gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did take care of business Saturday night - thanks for noticing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you got your creamo!..those are mighty weird looking gourds?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sneezed when Skittlez was outside and that scared her to death. Can you imagine how she'd react to gunshots. Poppy would have lots of company inside the rig.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since my Grandparents on my Mom's side were born in Italy, It was a custom to keep a bottle of annisette,(a liqorice flavored liquor'e) in the kitchen for adding to coffee.When my Grandfather died, my Mom shipped me off to live with Grandma so she wouldn't alone and every morning she would put a little annisette in the coffee,On a cold morning on the way to school you never were cold. My Mom had a fit when she found out, And said your sending that kid to school still keep a bottle here for a little spritz with my coffee in the ,morning. and like Grandma I call it my heart medicine. Be safe out there, Sam & Donne...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huh Roseburg was the place I dropped into a Home Depot to buy a big microwave for a friend once. Since then my address, recorded at Home Depot, is Roseburg, OR. Some times, I buy stuff at Home Depot in Ellsworth, ME and my Roseburg address pops up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that is one HUGE parking space.

    It looks like an octopus tree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the lush green shaded parks you stay in - way different than our midwest experience

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like the perfect time of year to be making that trip. Lots of beautiful pictures with vibrant colours

    When we travel Kathy has her tea and I have my 32 ounce coffee with 1% milk it's easier on the arteries. Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep that spot on your lot available; we can feel Rosie's wheels quivering to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed seeing your photo of Mount Thielson. It reminded me of when we traveled down that way. We had such a good time! Farmer's market--love the photo of the fall colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great spot. You and Russ sure are giving Oregon a great review for rv'ers. It's shows there's a lot more to Oregon than just the coast!!

    Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete