October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Just for Today

I am going to appreciate today.  That “corner” that I thought I turned yesterday with my illness, seemed to have led me into a blind alley when I awoke this morning.  After having no fever almost all day on Wednesday, the fever was back and the headache was worse.  I felt LOUSY.  However, I made myself get some breakfast so I could take some Tylenol and try to reduce the fever.  Today’s fever topped out at only 101.7 so I was very grateful after fighting fevers of close to 104 on Saturday thru Tuesday.

After a couple of doses of Tylenol and a nap, I finally began to feel better.  The sun was shining, it was warm and just a hint of a gentle breeze was flowing through the house.  I don’t know about you, but I much prefer God’s A/C to that provided by the electric company.  Whenever I can, the windows are open and my house is almost like one giant screen room. 

Of course my first thought was, gotta get busy and get some things done that I should have done earlier in the week.  I was already feeling bad about missing our Lazy Daze NW outing but not much could be done about that.  Then my private duty nurse, otherwise known as Russ, suggested that we just take some time and sit outside…and so we did.

Just for today I am going to sit in the sun and enjoy the yard and not worry about the patio that needs a good power washing, or the herb garden that has gone totally to seed.  I am going to enjoy sitting with my dog and my husband and just relax.
P1030103

Just for today I am not going to think about the snail climbing on the little white fence or the fact that the fence itself is badly in need of replacement.  I am going to feast my eyes on the purple Columbine and the emerging lupine and enjoy the colors of spring.
P1030101

Just for today I am not going to look at all the empty Shepherd’s hooks and wish I had hanging baskets.  That decision has been made and I won’t break my promise.  I will look instead at the other colorful plants and be happy with those.  I won’t look at the base of the Sweet Gum tree that is normally filled with Impatiens by now, nor will I worry about the winter detritus still needing to be raked from the corner flower bed.  I will enjoy what I have.
P1030104

Just for today I will look up at the beautiful blue sky and not worry that the gutters need cleaning and the patio roof need washed.  I will enjoy the sky and the trees and the sounds of the birds.
P1030106

I will sit in my recliner and feel the sun on my face and let the wind ruffle my hair and rejoice in all that I have been given.  Tomorrow is time enough to get things worked on but just for today, I am going to enjoy.  For today is all we really have.

14 comments:

  1. Got to take the time to enjoy today ... that's a good theme. Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just for today I looked out at the beautiful forest around me and was glad there was no pollution in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are only guaranteed the moment, so relax & enjoy -- even if it's just for today:) God bless...happy you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take it from me, you should probably do the same thing tomorrow and the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Judy. Just for today and every day enjoy the beauty that is all around us. And I sure hope you're feeling much much better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep on getting well, Donna. Thanks for the reminder to just sit and enjoy and not worry about tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you wouldn't have gotten all that stuff done today anyway!!! are you wonder woman or what????

    I'm glad you took the day to enjoy all those things you described... columbine and lupine...makes me want the mountains!!!!

    rest up!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heck with just for today - take the whole weekend, rest up, relax and get better. The jobs and chores will still be there to do later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. just for this weekend?..sounds like a good time to sit and relax!..hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes we just have to do whatever it takes to make things right with ourselves. Relxation time & a break with normal daily habits & routines is often the best way to do that......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great inspirational post! I have a very hard time ignoring my to do list each day but after reading your post, I think I will ignore it and take the weekend to appreciate what I have accomplished. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just for today -- a very fine attitude. We all have the opportunity to make choices, and your choice sounds like the right choice. Even if it is just for today, or just for this weekend. Rejoice in what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post...so positive!!!! Loved it♥
    Hope your feeling better very soon...
    {{{HUGS}}}
    Donna

    ReplyDelete