October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Pooling our Resources

The Pacific Northwest is a terrific place to live, most of the time.  Where we live, in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, we are just minutes from rivers, lakes, parks, forests, farms, and countryside.  We are about an hour from the ocean to the west, or the mountains to the east.  Oh sure, our winters are somewhatIMG_2930ab wet and gray, but we don’t get much snow here and the summers make it all bearable…not to mention our beautiful autumns.




One thing about the summers here is they are just too darn short.  We have some sporadic nice weather in the spring, but summer doesn’t really “arrive” until the 4th of July.  It lasts until about Labor Day.  It makes absolutely no sense to have a backyard swimming pool in this type of environment.  Taking care of a pool is a year round commitment for, at best, three months of enjoyment in the summer. 

So why the heck did we just re-plaster our pool rather than fill it in?  Darned if I know!!  Just kidding – sorta.  We got bids on re-plastering vs. decommissioning and it was about half the cost to re-plaster.  We hemmed and we hawed, weighed the pros and the cons,  and finally decided that, even with all the cons, we like having a pool.  Our kids all learned to swim in that pool, our grandkids likewise, and I can’t even keep track of all the extended family members and friends who have enjoyed our backyard over the years.  We just couldn’t let it go.  An emotional decision rather than a rational one I am sure, but there it is.

Here’s a few pics and a couple of 30 second videos to show the process. The work was done by Northwest Pool and Spa in Eugene.  If you are a local and need any kind of spa, pool or water feature work done, I highly recommend their work.

This is what it looked like BEFORE:  Lots of staining and wear and tear.
DSCN2112

First step was to submerge a hugely noisy pump and drain the pool completely.  It was drained out to the street and yes, it was all legal.  The water is clean.  Adding to the noise on confusion, the city decided to finally come that day and take out our Hawthorne tree (without any notice, of course)!  So they got to play in the water!  The pump was annoying and the draining took several hours.


After the pool was empty, the entire surface got an acid wash to clean and etch the existing plaster.  A base coat of gray cement was applied to the entire surface.
DSCN2147

Then the plaster was mixed in a noisy machine.  A big hose went from the machine to the backyard and the material was sprayed onto the surface of the pool.  Two people then troweled the plaster to a smooth surface.  Notice the holes in the bottom of the pool.  Those are drilled to keep the pool from floating while the work is being done.


The filling started the next day.  Pools cannot be left empty or they will float, literally popping out of the ground.  They must be filled quickly, especially if there is water close to the surface like we have here.  The pool holds about 25,000 gallons so I am sure we will not be happy to get the water bill this month.


It took 48 hours of the water going day and night at full blast to get the pool filled.  It has been twelve years since we last drained the pool so we don’t exactly waste a lot of water like this all the time!
P1040957


So, while we may have made a decision with our hearts rather than with our heads, we are looking forward to having some backyard fun this coming year.  If any of you are in the area and the weather is warm, give us a call.  The pool will most likely be open for visitors.  Bring your own goggles haha!

P1040958

Remember those nasty steps?  This is much better, don’t you think?
P1040960

19 comments:

  1. Wow! that was one busy day. You are going to love having the pool even if your summer seems short. I know it costs to set up but have you thought of solar heating? Here we do most of our swiming in the sea and it gets pretty cold. In fact it's really only decent in Jan and Feb. but there was time when I swam from August to May in spite of ..... Kids don't feel the cold :)

    Blessings

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have solar heat - just need the sun to make it work haha!! It heats the pool great in the summer, but just doesn't work that well after Labor Day.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful job! We had a pool when we lived in Texas. I wouldn't have a house without one. Of course we had two teenagers at the time. I remember the first year we turned on the heat and went swimming on New Years Eve, just to send pictures to our Wisconsin relatives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work. Nothing can replace memories. Just think how many more you are going to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty pool;. makes me want to go swimming. Maybe next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Donna, what a difference! I was wondering what you would decide about the pool. I'll bet every one of your grandkids will jump in at least once over the summer and will still have the great memories of swimming at Gramma's house. They will appreciate it even more as they get older and maybe don't take it as much for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Montana weather is not conducive to outdoor pools but as a kid I lived at the city pool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fantastic. I'm sure many worldwide don't picture Oregon residents actually have real swimming pools in their backyard!! Sometimes the emotional decisions are better than the logical decisions, otherwise life is a bore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's not restoring a poll, it's saving the memories. More enjoyment on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job on the pool. You won't be sorry you kept it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooo,it looks lovely.. BUT I bet oh so cold!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Riggs wants to come live with you for a while, he'd use the pool, just ask Paul and Helen :-) ...all kidding aside, here the public pools are only open 3 months so why wouldnt yours. and you did make a practical decision...would have cost more to get rid of it than to keep it. Wish we still had our pond but because of lawyers suing people all the time we couldnt afford the insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to hear that you made a decision about the pool. Looks like it will serve many more years!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pool looks very nice. We sold our house before we had to re mar-cite ours. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice looking job on the pool. I'm sure your entire family will appreciate it next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you made the right decision. Nothing like family fun. And, I bet your house is the most popular house around, and always has been. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Howdy Ks,
    We've never been to the Willamette Valley, but my brother has and said if didn't rain all of the time he'd move there...
    In TEXAS you want rain, but not ALL THE TIME... Thank you, Russ for the Hoppy pic you sent to Al B and made him be a little boy again, that was soooo nice of you... The 'pimming swool' really looks great and our daughter had her pool almost FLOAT out of the ground, when they had to repair the drain UNDERNEATH IT; it RAINED the day they drained it !!! Hope y'all have a HAPPY DAY, in the Willamette Valley of OREGON !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sure your grandkids liked your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay...now I feel guilty. You have gone to all this work so I feel that next summer we Must come and play in your pool. But you guys gotta go in with us!!! It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete