October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Free Food and Cookie Extravaganza

There were so many places offering free meals to Veterans yesterday that we had to take advantage of it.  We, along with my sister, Laila,  and her hubby, Brian, went to dinner at Red Robin.  Both the guys got a free meal and Laila picked up the rest of the check.  Such a deal!  Then we treated at Dickie Joe’s for dessert.  It is a “fill your own cup” frozen yogurt place with several flavors of soft serve yogurt and LOTS of toppings.  I forgot to take any pictures of either event but it was a great evening.  Before we went I checked Red Robin’s FB page to see what their offer was.  While there were many positive comments about their free Veteran’s Day meal, I was somewhat appalled to a few people complaining about what was being given for free.  SHEESH!  They didn’t have to give anything and we were just grateful for the offer…and it was delicious.  Thank you Red Robin.

Earlier in the day, I had a couple of the local grand girls over for a cookie baking session.  This is always a fun and creative time and we all had a blast. 

We had plenty of cookie cutters and decorations to choose from.  This is Cailin (age 13) in black t-shirt, and Emmie (age 11):
P1050004


They take their cookie decorating seriously:
P1050003


Here’s Emmie with her fancy turkey:
P1050008 

I even got into the act, but I kept mine simple with only autumn leaves and acorns.  We’ll do Christmas cookies a little later.
P1050013

I have a TON of cookie cutters but Cailin chose only one…she wanted to make camels.  I think you’ll enjoy her quirky sense of humor as she tells about her cookies in this short video.  You have to see it to the end to get the punch line:



And that was our day.  Hope yours was as fun as ours.

15 comments:

  1. How lucky you are to be able tio do this with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the video.... Camelot indeed!! What a great idea to do Cookies in November.... beat the Christmas frantic rush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cailin is too funny.

    Y'all take your cookie decorating very seriously. Great job by everyone!

    How do you make your icing that you can brush it on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just royal icing http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Royal-Icing . I use meringue powder rather than the egg whites called for in some recipes. It stays fairly runny but dries to a hard shell so the cookies stack without sticking together.

      Delete
  4. How rude! Showing pictures of all those cookies and we can't even smell one, let alone taste one. Now I have to clean all the drool off my computer screen... :cD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I had somebody to make cookies for me. Love the Camelot. She is a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we need to plan to be in a town next Veteran's Day to take advantage of the veteran thing. Last time Mo got a free meal for the day was on some trip we were on in California...2008 maybe?? AHh the delights of living 40 minutes from town. Couldn't justify the trip for a free meal

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to have Brian's little friends over to make xmas cookies every year. what a fond memory that is... they wanted to 'mix' all the colors together and when you do that you get BLACK, not too xmasey, so I would let them do it with the last dozen, they enjoyed those black cookies the best, weird... boys, I guess. more like monster cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great times with family. Loved Camelot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great video clip. Good looking cookies too. Nice to see the kids having fun doing stuff with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it. Gorgeous girls and smart too:)

    ReplyDelete