October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Just Watching the Nature Channel

Being stuck at home is not all bad.  We have a big window looking out on the backyard and two cozy recliners.  Every morning we sit and watch the happenings in our backyard – we call it the Nature Channel.  As I have said before, we are easily amused! 

We put out peanuts, suet, seeds, and of course water, then just sit back and watch the action.  Our bird bath and fountain have been frozen solid so I have been putting out fresh water for the critters.  Don’t like to see them drink out of the pool because of the chemicals.  I got a heated water dish from Amazon so now we don’t have to worry about the cold nights.

We have been surprised at all the birds we have seen.  Of course we have the ubiquitous crows…

P1050029
All pictures were taken through our dirty window so not as clear as they should be.  Gee, maybe I should wash the window!!

The Scrub Jays love the peanuts and will squawk until they are fed.

IMG_2949

We even had a Northern Flicker the other day.
northern flicker

Of course the squirrels are always in on the action.  We don’t mind – we find them amusing and there is plenty for everyone.
periscope up

IMG_2941

Today we saw several new birds.  I have tried to identify them through our Oregon bird books and the All About Birds website, but I am really not too confident of my results.  I’m sure someone out there can correct me if I’m wrong.

This I think is a Townsend’s Warbler.
townsends warbler

These little guys landed in a big flock.  At first I thought they were immature starlings but they are really tiny.  They might be a flock of bushtits.
bushtit

bushtit2


Best I can tell, this is a Bewick's Wren.
bewicks wren

IMG_2983


And how about a Black Capped Chickadee?
black capped chickadee

Could this be a Dark-eyed Junco?
dark eyed junco3

oregon dark eyed junco


This one I have been unable to identify.  Looks like a little sparrow but it has a yellow throat and yellow under its wings.  Anyone know what this is??
unknown

And lastly, a precious, but not necessarily rare species.  This  species is found throughout the world and is often domesticated, though many remain wild.  It comes in many sizes and colors and can be found in the wild as well backyards.  Its habitat is varied and it does well in mountains, desert, north or south.  They go by varied names but this one is identified as the Red Legged Seed Spreader.  It’s my favorite old bird.

Pretty impressive wingspan!!
IMG_2982

One more view of this magnificent creature.  I hear if you treat them right, they will hang around for years!!
IMG_2980

That’s it!  I think I’ll quit while I’m ahead.

18 comments:

  1. I think it's smart to quit while you're ahead too. Turn about isn't always fair play so let's hope he doesn't think about pulling that little trick on you.

    Love the nature in your backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last one looks like a red legged seed spreader to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna is lucky I don't have a wide angle lens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The red legged bird is cute. We always fed the critters in the yard and would sit and watch through the windows, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you had me on the Red Legged Seed Spreader. I was thinking to myself I've never heard of that bird before. Then I scrolled down to the picture. Yep, a Red Legged Seed Spreader alright,.............I always enjoy watching the bird's at our feeders too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was an impressive sighting of birds and man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Donna!! Love all the pics. So nice that you get so many beautiful birds at your feeders. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the Nature Channel. We don't have that here.

    That is the first time I have seen a Red Legged Seed Spreader. Glad you were able to snap a picture of him. I mainly see a Naked Legged Coffee Drinker around our place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your pictures.... had to remind myself that you're in Oregon and think "west coast" birds... no, Toto, we're not in Ohio anymore. The Blackburnian and the Townsend's sure do look like at first glance. I don't know but your mystery bird might be a Ruby-crowned kinglet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe your mystery bird is a yellow-rumped warbler. What a fine variety of birds you get on your nature channel! Especially that one rare bird at the end...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite a spiffy outfit for bird feeding. That Russ is such a good sport!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you'd better get a special feeder for the red-legged feed spreader bird as he will probably need a good 3 meals a day plus a few desserts to tide him over.

    Great bird pics on your nature channel too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the red-legged spreader, haha.. you are SO funny!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read this the other day and couldn't comment.very funny, I actually laughed out loud!

    ReplyDelete