October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Where’s Waldo?

Lake, that is.  Located on the western slopes of the Cascade range about 70 miles east of Eugene, OR, Waldo Lake is the 2nd largest lake in Oregon and one of the purest lakes in the entire world.  A battle over the use of gasoline motors on the lake has been ongoing since 2000.  Personally, I am on the side of the no motor crowd.  There are plenty of other lakes in Oregon where gasoline motors are allowed and to degrade the pristine quality of these waters is nothing less than criminal.  Not to mention the degradation of the peaceful nature of the area that would be lost if gasoline engines are allowed to return to the lake.  Currently only small electric motors are allowed.
Waldo Lake form Shadow Bay
To listen to the quiet at Waldo is to experience the peacefulness that can usually be found only on long treks into the wilderness.  Since we cannot “trek” anymore, it makes Waldo all the more special for us. 
a sign

Yes, it really is that blue, comparable to Crater Lake, but much more accessible.  There are primitive campgrounds on the lake that are best suited for tents.  However, many of the sites would be able to accommodate a 30’ or less RV.  Beware, though, the tall trees will limit the use of solar.  Some sites had more sun exposure than others so choosing your site carefully will determine your ability to rely on solar.

This is a typical campsite at Shadow Bay, on the south end of the lake.
Shadow Bay campsite
There is also a boat ramp and courtesy dock here. 

Poppy was having a wonderful time running around and even jumping over logs.  Just look at that happy face.
Go Poppy, go!

Can you believe there are those who want to land float planes on this beautiful lake?  I’m not a tree hugging activist, but some things are just WRONG!
P1010503

We also stopped at Islet Campground at the northern end of the lake.  There is a swimming beach here but it would have to be pretty warm to tempt me to get in that water!
P1010510
Russ found a great sitting rock by the beach area.  If you look closely towards the trees on the far side of the lake, you can see a stand of gray, dead trees.  This was all beetle kill.

More logs for jumping over made Poppy one happy dog.  Her tail is held high and there is a spring in her step.  That makes us happy!!
High stepping Poppy

This is a campsite at Islet Campground.  The sites are huge, it’s just the parking that is short.  This site would easily fit a 30’ RV, with lots of room left over for a car and a couple of tents…with lake view through the trees.  WOW! 
P1010517

It had an interesting fire pit.  Just turn the crank to adjust the grill up or down.  Pretty neat, huh?
P1010519

We had planned to eat our Sub sandwiches here but the yellow jackets were just a little too aggressive.  If I camped here, I would definitely want a screen room!  It was great fun for a day trip though.

At this stop, Poppy did not want to get out of the car.  She had done a lot of walking, running, and jumping and was probably pretty tired…or so I thought.
Russ trying to get Poppy to come out of the car.
We had started our day with breakfast in Oakridge at Manning's Cafe.  Can’t say as I would recommend them, but I didn’t have to cook.  The bacon was good and I saved half of it to put on my sandwich for lunch.  When I stopped to get the Subs, Russ took everything out of the cooler so the sandwiches would fit.  I thought I got everything back in but…

…when I went back to the car to check on Poppy, I wondered why she had a guilty look on her face and wouldn’t make eye contact.  Then I spotted it, the napkin I had wrapped my bacon in!  EMPTY!!  Poppy had bided her time until she was alone in the car and then that bacon thief nabbed my bacon, and left nary a crumb!!  I guess she found it fair and square so I couldn’t begrudge her her ill-gotten gain.  And my sandwich was just fine without the bacon.

So if you ever find yourself at a Lake called Waldo, come and sit a spell, or even spend the night, and just enjoy the quiet and the serenity of a pristine mountain lake.  But, please, leave your dang motors at home!!
P1010533

19 comments:

  1. Can't disagree about no motors. There must be places left where a person can find some peace and serenity. Yes, there are many lakes where motors are allowed -- leave us a little quiet somewhere on the nearer edge of civilization! I feel the same way about ATVs, motorcycles and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day for Poppy! WOW,complete with BACON!!;-)
    Such a beautiful place. Totally loved the pic of her running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. not to worry Donna, no motors here..this like a perfect spot for us!..yet another lake to add to Tucker's ever growing list of water he has swam in!
    sorry about the bacon?..but 'way to go Poppy'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It even made ME happy to see how happy Poppy was. What a great place--but how many times can I say that about Oregon?

    Poppy is too funny--smart and funny. She sure snookered you to get that bacon.

    Once I decided I wanted an ice cream cone. Got one and was holding it in my right hand as I looked left to see if a car was coming and in one fell swoop it was gone. I think Jack thought I was offering it to him or else he was just a brazen thief! I think he had a grin on his face, so the latter seems more plausible.

    Love going along with you on your day trips. Thanks Donna and Russ. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of room in the back seat and glad to have you along. But, if Jack steals my ice cream cone, there might be trouble haha!!

      Poppy has a tummy ache this morning from her bacon stealing escapade. Won't eat a thing!

      Delete
  5. That first photo is should be in a frame hanging on your way...gorgeous!

    What another lovely area in Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are sure enjoying some of the places we normally just drive past on our way to get somewhere else. I sure am glad God created Oregon LOL!!

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous and peaceful place to visit. Even though I'm a motor boater on a lake, I'm with you - we humans don't need to spoil everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're exactly right! I don't object to motorboats. In fact, we had a ski boat all the years the kids were growing up and it was great fun. But, like the ATVs on the Oregon beaches, they don't need to be everywhere. Let's leave some room for tranquility. Electric motors are allowed on Waldo so it's not like you have to row everywhere.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like Poppy had a great day all around...thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I laughed at the Poppy/bacon story. She is so darn cute! I love the spots you find in our beautiful Oregon. I'm glad God created Oregon too. But I must admit, I love most of the sights I've seen in our travels too. Enjoy the rest of your trip and don't forget to lock the bacon up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poppy, you scallawag! No, thanks, I'll just wait here *YAWN!* Getting older, you know...SCARF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also enjoy small lakes where no motors are allowed--so peaceful. That Poppy--she may be getting old, but as long as her nose still works, she can find your bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always feel like I'm right there with you... love your pictures and narrations. That Poppy! I'd love to give her a big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We loved Waldo Lake, Donna, although when we were there in late July of one year it was the legendary mosquitoes that got us. I always thought in late September after frost would be perfect there. We kayaked that incredible clear lake and hope to go back. So many places, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with you about no motorized vehicles on the lake ... it would be nice if some places could be left for those of us who prefer peace and quiet over high-speed, high-energy activities.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to see Poppy having so much fun at the lake - what a nice spot.

    Sure glad to hear that our Rylie isn't the only food thief around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poppy sure had a great day! There is so much to see in Oregon as I am discovering. I just love this state.

    ReplyDelete