October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Made it to Cascade Locks KOA

We are safe for another night –WHEW!!  Drove to Kennewick, WA this morning and picked up a flat car transport.  We really wanted all four wheels off the ground so after calling several places, we found one in Kennewick.  Actually, the closer places didn’t even have a dolly so we were lucky to find the transport.  There is just not much around Umatilla, OR!  Thankfully, AAA towed the Fit to the U-Haul place so we had everything all there together and got it all hooked up with help from the very nice U-Haul man.  Here’s the Fit on her Fancy Parade Float (sorry, no ribbons or roses!)

a1010192

And here are MisFit’s tires.
The right front:
a1010194

And the left front – showing much more damage:
a1010199   a1010200
Although there are some flat spots, the tire was still rolling and the damage is all around the tire.  We are so grateful that someone took the time to flag us down and tell us about the problem.  Russ has a theory that it has something to do with the anti-lock brakes on the Fit.  Although he never stepped hard on the brakes, perhaps the Easy Brake is not functioning properly and is causing a lock-up of some kind.  Hopefully the shop will be able to tell us what is going on.  At any rate, I no longer trust this car (even if it was a problem with the way the brake man wired it) and I will not tow it again.  Too scary.

BUT…we did have a good trip until that happened!!  As I said yesterday, we spent a nice evening with Dave and Carol in Vancouver and they had a great parking place in their driveway.

a1010176

we also got to visit with our grandson, Tim the workaholic!!  He took a day off and met us at Multnomah Falls for lunch.  We had a nice visit and he brought us some nice treats to enjoy along the road.  I haven’t seen Tim in quite a few months so it was great to spend some time just visiting.

a1010178

After that we stopped at Arlington, which is where we stopped on the way to Pendleton in the spring…Hmmmmm… perhaps the MisFit gremlins hide out there??
a1010190
It’s always a nice place to stop and we got a nice shady parking place.  No more trouble until we got to Umatilla, but no telling when the trouble started.  Oh well, guess we’ll know more in the next few days.  We’re thankful that we are safe and that the transmission didn’t fall out this time!! 

Good night all…we’re pretty beat.

16 comments:

  1. Sorry about your tire problems Donna and Russ, but I'm glad no harm was done to you or to your MH.

    What a great place to meet your grandson--My son, daughter, and two of my grandchildren flew out to see me when I was west, and I had the pleasure of showing them the Columbia River Gorge which included Multnomah Falls. I love that area--I think the Columbia is the greatest river in the country.

    Love hearing about the NW--I can still dream. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a nice time with Dave and Carol and how nice of them to let you stay in their driveway.
    Hopefully all will go smoothly from here on out. Safe travels my dear friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to hear you had a good time visiting with Dave and Carol, and time to catch up with your Grandson. See what might be missed by not rving. Hope you get things worked out with the toad and look forward to meeting up again down the road. Meeting you both was one of the best things so far in our RV life. Wishing you both safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully you can look back and just remember the good times you had with Dave and Carol and Tim. And that you get home safely is the main thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear, MisFit sure seems to suit her! Glad it wasn't worse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys.... I read about your trouble last night on my phone, but it's so hard to comment there. I am so sorry you are having a problem again!!! I was hoping you would get to Glacier and have an awesome fall trip!

    Looks like you are set to make it home now and I agree that it appears something is not right in the towing/braking mechanism. But you c.a.n.'t. stop RVing over this car giving you a couple of issues! You'll find out it's nothing you've done, just like last time, and if you have to you can get another car and continue on with your travels! You need to go to those places I showed you pictures of! So please take some time and get over this issue before you make any decisions!!!

    (hugs)

    OH... and glad you got to stop off and visit Carol and Dave too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sleep well Russ and Donna..nice to see you all 'together' again..albiet not that way you started out..safe travels to you as you continue homeward!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it sounds like things are going a bit better than yesterday, but I'm so sorry that you have to go home early again. I would be scared of towing the Fit again, too. You probably hadn't counted on having to buy another tow car. What matters most, though, is that you are safe, Russ and Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry u have had these problems!! It is the pitts to have huge problems like this while on the road, away from everything familiar. Am sure all will work out tho, things tend to do that :) in the mean time take care...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think if I was going o tow something behind a MH it would have to say Jeep on it, they seem to be the only ones you can toe with all the wheels on the ground. Seems most automatics or front wheel drives give you trouble. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, such troubles! Hope things work out better the next time you hit the road.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Twenty years from now you can look back and laugh at this situation, but it's not so laughable right now! Glad you are able to continue with that trailer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those tires are sure chewed. Something obviously grabbed them and held on. Hope someone finds the problem and is able to identify it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. misfit or miss fit ... the nickname fits the toad. You sound much better after a good night's rest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just got internet and am catching up on blogs. Sorry about the tires, but so glad you caught it before something horrible happened.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry about the misfit problem. Glad you were able to tow it and complete your trip.

    ReplyDelete