Sunday’s goal was to visit Odell Lake at the summit of the Willamette Pass (that’s Hwy. 58 in Oregon). But more about that later. On the way we decided to stop at Salt Creek Falls. We have stopped there many times before and I almost passed it by but, what the heck, I stopped again. I am so glad I did. Be aware, this is a fee area but is free with the federal America the Beautiful Pass (senior or annual).
It’s only a very short walk to the falls from the parking lot on a paved trail. Although the falls are much showier in the late spring when the snowpack is melting, it was still an engaging vista.
Here’s a short video from the top of the falls to the bottom. Hope it sounds better on your computers. It sounds like sizzling bacon rather than water falls on my little laptop!!
After visiting the falls and enjoying that spectacle, we walked farther along the trail than we had before. The trail is paved all the way around the park except for a couple of wooden bridges. It is a well-maintained trail and would be easily accessible for scooters or wheel chairs.
I loved the way the trail meanders through the woods and follows the curves of Salt Creek.
There are picnic tables and fire pits scattered in the woods along the trail, many of them close to the road for easy accessibility.
The water is crystal clear. You can see the rocks and even the moss growing on the rocks.
A scenic wooden bridge leads to trails that go further into the woods. These trails are not paved, but the paved trail winds around and goes back to the parking lot. You can make a complete loop staying on the paved trail.
Near the end of the loop, Russ spied this colorful boggy meadow.
It was a nice walk and Poppy found lots of wonderful smells to be sniffed. I think she even found some deer scat and that was REALLY special. Oh, the wondrous scents of the forest!!
An interesting side note – there are flush toilets here but no sinks! There were hand sanitizers mounted on the wall but both were empty. Just be prepared!
On to the lake. We made a quick tour of Princess Creek campground. This campground is right on the lake but the road is narrow and lumpy. Some of the sites look like they would be fine for smaller rigs. There is a fairly new boat ramp and courtesy dock and a large parking lot for boat trailers.
We stopped for lunch at Odell Lake Resort at the east end of the lake. This is an older resort with a few cabins, a lodge, restaurant, and boat rentals and launching.
Not much business on a chilly, overcast Sunday afternoon, but the food was good all the same.
Russ took this picture inside the lodge, especially for Paulette.
It can get really windy on this end of the lake and today proved that! The waves on the lake were almost as big as the waves we saw at the coast last week!
On the way home we stopped at the west end of the lake but that’s a story for another day. I was too tired to blog last night when we got home so, as usual, I am too wordy this morning! Thanks for stopping by…we are having a wonderful time.
Just love all the Northwests waterfalls even this late in the year they still are spectacular. Another beautiful area you are in for sure. Glad to see that you and Russ are enjoying it. Safe Travels to you both.
ReplyDeleteThanks Allen. Saw you had a great time at a waterfall yesterday too!! Read Rick's then my connection went kerfluey before I had a chance to read yours. Better connection this morning.
DeleteIt sounds like you had another wonderful day, Donna and Russ. I like to see and hear the waterfalls. No sizzling bacon here, just lovely waterfalls. So much to see, so little time!
ReplyDeleteI almost wish I had signed up for a week here. Unfortunately, we have reservations in LaPine starting Wednesday but this is one place we will definitely come back to. Lots to see within short driving distances.
DeleteWow, we really had a great time when we were there and want to spend more time getting to all of the falls next trip. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThere is so much to see in Oregon, and a lot of it involves water of one sort or another. And it's not ALL water that falls from the sky LOL!!
DeleteI really need to get to western Oregon... I've really been having a blast in Oregon this year tho...You keep giving me wonderful ideas of new places to go!!
ReplyDeleteGood flow off the falls. I can only imagine what that would be like in the spring.
ReplyDeleteA waterfall that sounds like sizzling bacon??? Good thing I don't have bandwidth for videos! But, love the photos and love Salt Creek Falls. You two look like you are having fun. We never found anyplace on Odell Lake that we actually wanted to camp. Maybe we will try again someday with the kayaks. I think the last time we were there we had the sailboat and as you said, the winds on that lake are really weird and erratic!
ReplyDeleteLOL Sue, it only sounds like sizzling bacon to me because I have junk speakers on my laptop!! Sounded great in person!!
DeleteHave you tried Trapper Creek? It is right next door to Odell on the west side, by Shelter Cove. I'll post some pictures of the sites at Shelter Cove tomorrow.
What a gorgeous day and wonderful park. I could watch water falls for hours. I think they are like ocean waves...mesmerizing.
ReplyDeleteThe photo of the crystal clear water is awesome. It looks so peaceful there.
It was beautiful. I don't think you and Paul got up this way did you? The area in the Willamette National Forest is awesome.
DeleteAs always, love your blog!!! The falls are beautiful, and my speakers made me feel like I was standing right next to them. Looking at the trail brought the word "pleasant" to my mind for whatever reason--maybe because it looks like you could stroll and enjoy the surroundings. Poppy is so lucky to be able to go to all the great places with you. I don't dare tell Jack. He went to the vet and got the first of two shots of Lyme Disease vaccine. And, his ears didn't look so hot--yeasty--so I got something that will make him more comfortable. Looking at him sleeping at my feet, I don't really know how he could actually get more comfortable. :)
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear Jack's ears are bad. Hope the vet was able to give you something to help. Poppy is still taking pills for a bladder infection. Poor puppies...they have their troubles too, don't they?
DeleteYou are so fortunate to live near such beautiful country. All this and the Ducks too.
ReplyDeleteAnd sometimes heron and geese and...OH, you meant THOSE Ducks. Oh yeah, Go Ducks!
DeleteThanks for taking us along on your hike!! This is the first hike that I have ever been on where you get to see a gorgeous quilt displayed at the end of your trail...and served with lunch!! Wonderful! Also loved the beautiful waterfall...and it sounded just like a waterfall and not like bacon frying!! But then it's been so long since I have heard bacon frying...maybe I forget!
ReplyDeleteYou take care and happy, safe travels!
Paulette
Sure, I go and post a video clip showing a 'modest' waterfall and then you guys go and post Niagara Falls!! Way to go!!
ReplyDeleteAnd now, every time I hear a waterfall, I'm going to want bacon and eggs!!
Yeah, but our waterfall only had one drop!
DeleteI think I need a new laptop with better speakers...
the two of you find the best places to stay..small and out of the way!..nice job on the video..no bacon here!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great park ... and if the waterfall looks this pretty in the fall, I imagine it is breathtaking in the spring. That paved path is very inviting ... would love to be walking on it right now.
ReplyDelete