October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Good bye Casey’s; Hello LaPine

I can honestly say that staying at Casey’s Riverfront RV Park was one of the best things we have done for a long time.  What’s not to love??  It’s on a river, the river is accessible, the park was quiet, full hook-ups included cable TV and Wi-Fi, and they had self-serve soft ice cream!  WOW!!

Carol K had alerted me to the ice cream and it’s a good thing, otherwise I would never have found it.  It is not in the small store/office as I would have expected.  The ice cream dispenser sits in the group picnic shelter, along with a plastic bin of cones and a coffee can to leave $1.00 for your cone or container of soft serve.  Never heard of such a thing!!!!  And it was good too!!
ice cream
I have to admit that I had no money on me when I found this magic machine and I couldn’t walk away empty-handed.  The sign said it was on the honor system so I swore on my honor to come back later with the money.  No way could I pass up that cone.  I did go back later and put my money in the can and since I was there and had a couple of extra dollars in my pocket….well…the temptation was just too great and I had another.

I am NOT being paid by Casey’s to champion their establishment…I just can’t seem to help myself.  If you have a group outing or family reunion in the works, Casey’s is PERFECT.  Here is the outdoor pavilion where groups can meet for potlucks.  There is indoor and outdoor seating, two TVs, a microwave, and of course, the magic ice cream machine!

P1010549

There is also a huge brick fire pit, along with a supply of wood and an ax.
P1010550
You can cook up a storm here for LOTS of people.
P1010553
If crowds aren’t your thing, you can have a fire and a picnic right by the river for just the two (or one or four!) of you.
P1010545
After all the work is done you can relax in a hammock over looking the river.
P1010544

Or just sit a spell and let the river carry your worries down stream.
P1010547

Can you tell, I am enchanted with this place?  We will definitely be back here.
P1010559
One last look at the river, the morning of our departure.  The temperature dropped quite low during the night and the next morning steam was rising from the river as the sun came up.
P1010560
Had it not been for the fact that we had reservations at LaPine State Park, we would have spent more days here.  It is absolutely the best and I highly recommend it.  But we had to move on and so if you are tired of reading about my love affair with Casey’s, stick around.  You can read about my hate affair with LaPine State Park, and see how the squirrel ate the table cover.  It’s not really that bad, but I think I got spoiled at Casey’s. 

19 comments:

  1. What a great treat - soft serve ice cream on the honor system. That I would avail myself of.

    However, that hammock is just a bit too close to the river. I am CLUMSY. I would surely find myself tipping over and into the wash. Betcha others do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly Phyllis! I did NOT try out the hammock!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I would try it and being clumsy myself, I WOULD fall in... better be standing by with a camera... looks to be a Funniest Home Video's moment to me!!

      Delete
    3. I almost posted an old video clip I took of my sister getting into our hammock several years ago. Good thing it was low to the ground as she did a 180 and was out as soon as she got in!!

      Delete
  2. So nice to finally be able to get caught up on your goings-on! What a lovely RV park and site. Oregon has so much beauty to offer. Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great park! Thanks for the recommendation...I've pinned it to my Pinterest board for future reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you found the ice cream machine. I don't know if they leave it filled all winter long, but I've never seen anything like it at another RV park. Sorry to hear your time at LaPine State Park wasn't quite as nice. We like LaPine, too, but no wifi there, and it's a bit of a drive to get to any of the central Oregon sightseeing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder you loved it so much there... those flowers look like they were put in especially for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a really, really great place ... and the website says its big rig friendly ... goes on Pinterest for future reference :-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Casey's looks like a great park. That's why we almost never make reservations. If we really like a place we will stay longer, and if we don't we aren't committed to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great place!! Ice Cream - what a bonus!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love soft serve ice cream, I would have been at that machine with lots of dollar bills! Glad you are having a great time, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sure sounds like 'Casey's' was good for your 'rving soul'..what a perfect place to regroup and recharge..I will take two, no wait maybe a few more than that..love soft serve ice cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds and looks very nice there! Is that big pillow on Russ's lap just to hold up his book?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always look for riverside campsites, sitting and watching the water is very soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Casey's already had my vote what with the river and everything but the self-serve ice cream cinched it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a super place to be. What a nice setting. I love little sites like that right on the river.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ice cream...I always have room for ice cream.

    Russ looks like he approves of that lovely area also.

    ReplyDelete