October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Picnic in the Park–and- Looking for a Lepidopterist

Oh we do have us a mini heat wave here in Eugene, OR.  I really need to have a talk with old Mr. Sol.  He lets us freeze in June and July and then in August he tries to make up for it by slow roasting us!  Please Mr. Sol, a little moderation would be nice.  The mercury has climbed to over 90F for the last several days and it is supposed to get worse before it gets better.  Add to that the smoke from several Oregon wildfires, and that equals health alerts for old folks and those with breathing problems.  Might get a thunder storm Friday night which would wash away some of the smoke.

But we braved the heat for a little river time yesterday.  Our favorite picnic lunch is a Subway sandwich – so easy, I just tell them what to put on it and I don’t have to slice, dice, or clean anything up.  Now that’s a picnic.

We took our sandwiches to Skinner Butte Park on the banks of the Willamette River.  This is just across the river from Valley River Center, a great boondocking area that many of you have enjoyed.

Poppy appears to be sniffing a pocket of sunshine (I’m sure there must have been more to it!).
P1000972

Something caught their eye…
P1000975

We managed to snag a table in the shade and enjoyed our Subs.
P1000983

This is a busy park and right on the Willamette River bike path.  The path is heavily used by bikers and walkers alike and today was no exception.  The paved bike path goes on both sides of the river before it converges and continues on to Springfield.  Good to see people out enjoying the sunshine.

P1000998

Between these picnic tables and the river, there is a more primitive pathway that allows river access.  This path is for pedestrians only.

P1010003

One thing I do NOT like to see is idiots who ignore the law and launch their watercraft without the required Personal Flotation Devices.  I watched these two young ladies blow up their Sevylor canoe and launch into the river without any PFDs on board.  The craft looked more suitable for a small lake or a swimming pool!  There have already been people killed on the river this year and more who were rescued.  The river is relatively calm here but there are unexpected hazards and hidden detritus that can play havoc with inflatables.  I think they should be billed for the rescue efforts if they have launched without PFDs on board!!
P1010008

With our lunch finished and trash put in the trash can where it belongs (another pet peeve of mine!) we vacated our table.  Didn’t take long for it to find a new tenant.
P1010009

Here’s a picture I took when the kids were here and we visited Shotgun Creek.  Hope someone can tell me what it is.  The kids were calling it a butterfly but it looks more like a moth to me – but that is why I am looking for a lepidopterist!
a1000323
a1000327






And then, just because I like the looks of it, a fence I pictured when we went to the Finley Wildlife Refuge .
P1000801

As Porky Pig would say, “That’s all, folks.”

26 comments:

  1. I am glad you are getting some warm weather, but I do not like the sound of those fires!
    I agree with charging for rescue fees. I get so upset when the professionals tell people to evacuate before a tornado or hurricane, and they don't. Then we taxpayers have to pay for rescuing these people. I say...send them the bill. Maybe next time they will listen. They don't understand that they are also putting the rescue people in harm's way. How selfish can a person get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lepidopterist, isn't that the little guy in green that sits next to the pot of gold at end of the rainbow? Oh, never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with Marsha. Stupid people drive me nuts. I agree with you about the trash also. And another pet peeve (now you've got me started!) is shopping carts in the parking lot. How hard it is to put it away. Love the sweet onion chicken teriyaki from Subway. Great lunch or dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, you and Russ make every day of your lives a vacation. Love reading your blog. Pats to Poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lost my post. Nothing important other than to tell you, Donna, that you and Russ make every day of your lives a vacation. I always enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well your day was much better than mine!..glad you got out and enjoyed the beeee--uuu--tiful weather!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooo i like that picture of the fence and queen anne's lace!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like to take pictures of fences, too, Donna. Even Astoria is supposed to be hot the next couple of days. We'll be back in Vancouver tomorrow afternoon, just in time for the worst of the heat wave. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your heat passes quickly!! We had a few warm weeks, but it is gone now. Highs in the 70s coming up for most of the next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved your photos! I have to admit that I share your pet peeves. I'm ready for a cool front myself!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely a butterfly there, and not a moth. Notice the 'bump' at the end of its antennae? That means a butterfly. Don't know what kind though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy, I figured you would know. It just seemed so FAT for a butterfly...more like a butterball.

      Delete
  12. That bike trail looks great. We so need to go back to Oregon one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one looks like your butterfly -- check out the link: http://magickcanoe.com/blog/2006/10/14/california-sisters/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Donna, I have suddenly gone on a kick this morning about writing. I gotta tell you, I enjoy your writing! Not only is it done in a very interesting manner, and usually about interesting stuff, your language is clear, concise, properly spelled and punctuated! You use great words like "detritus," "moderaion," "converge." And you even have a delightful sense of humor. As of now, you are our one blogger we are sure to read each morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Jerry, thank you. Now the pressure is on...lol!!

      Delete
  15. Along Jerry's lines, I was thinking about reaching for a dictionary while reading your post this morning. At least I figured out that a Personal Floating Device was what I've always called a Life Jacket!

    Seeing garbage and beer/soda cans lying around on the ground always irks me too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We love Subway too. I never knew they gave 10% off to seniors until one of them did. Now I know to ask. Love those old people discounts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip - I didn't know that. I'll take 10% any day. Better than a poke in the nose!!

      Delete
  17. OK, you got me too. Didn't know what that L word was in the header, but figured it out while reading. And PFD. Lifejackets! What a beautiful day for you & Russ. Jealous...jealous...jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  18. We followed your sandwich idea and shared a Subway on our park visit today, sure made it easy like you said. Nice area you visited today, enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Skinner Butte? Will have to look that up for boondocking. I can't picture it across from the Valley River Center...where we usually park for the 2 night limit. The pedestrian bridge goes across the Willamette to a large park on the other side. We have walked the trail from end to end. Thanks...Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No boondocking allowed in Skinner Butte park...but like you say, the pedestrian bridge goes across from Valley River Center. We were down a ways from where the pedestrian bridge crosses but still in the same general area.

      Delete
  20. I'm with you on charging folks for their own stupidity while using our parks. See that kind of thing (no pfd) way too often. Loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete