October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Dog Day Afternoon

It sure is quiet around here!  All the kids went home on Friday, and I miss them already.  Daughter Merry and husband Bob came down from Oregon City to pick up Bekah and Anna.  With them came their two dogs, Lucy a Shepard mix and Ricky, her new Golden Boy (still a puppy).

Both dogs had been in the car  during the trip down, and while Bob and Merry ran some errands.  They were clearly happy to be in the back yard and they were hot.  I turned on the back sprinklers for them and they had a ball.  It was like watching a couple of kids run through the water.

a1000631

a1000661

a1000674


It was a little harder to get a picture of Ricky.  He was about played out by the time I got the camera out and he didn’t seem to want to pose for a picture.  Here he is behind one of the sprinklers.

a1000680


After a bit of rolling in the grass to dry off, they were ready for a rousing  game of Tug-of-War.  Although still a pup, Ricky can drag Lucy around the yard while holding onto the toy. 
a1000698

All that activity eventually wore them out and they settled in for a nice nap.
a1000700

Yesterday we hit a record high for the date here in Eugene, Oregon.  The mercury topped out at 101F.  I went out to the backyard and, besides being like an oven, it was eerily quiet.  There was not a bird singing, no dogs barking, no child’s voices raised in play,  no ping of the bat hitting the ball at the school yard next door, not even the neighbors grandkids in their swimming pool.  It was SILENT!  Now I like peace and quiet but this was just weird.  I didn’t even hear any cars go by.  I guess those who didn’t take to the rivers and lakes were hunkered down inside trying to keep from becoming rump roast – well done!!  It’s very unusual for the weather to climb into the triple digits here so most folks don’t handle it well.  As I write this at 2:30 p.m., it’s already 90F and our hottest time is about 5 p.m. 

Thank goodness our heat waves don’t last long and it should cool off in a couple of days.  Meanwhile, I am going to wimp out and sit  under the air conditioner or go to the coast.  Not even my shady backyard is cool in this kind of heat.   Think I’ll go have some ice cream…

And that’s the end of my tail tale!
a1000629

18 comments:

  1. The dog's sure new how to beat the heat and had a good time doing it. Hit almost 90 here yesterday thought I was back in Corona. Like the ending to your story, perfect picture! Hope you and Russ have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hot here too - and muggy - that's really what gets to me. Actually I just checked the thermometer, and it says it's 80, but it feels hotter than that because it's so sticky. I just keep thinking it is better than the white stuff. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, that is warm for that area!!! But at least it does not go on & on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Cow! If I wanted it to be this hot... I could go home!

    I knew it would be a quiet place for you this weekend! Glad the doggers stopped by for some laughs!

    Glad we came out here to Coburg yesterday! This place is about full today! Tomorrow the "fun" begins...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even the grand dogs go crazy when the get in you back yard. It must be the family gene pool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you get over your 'lonesome' soon and hope the heat leaves you sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love watching dogs play together & what a thoughtful idea to turn on the sprinklers for them.........

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so thankful that our current house has air conditioning. I haven't ventured outside much in the last three days. Like your neighborhood, it's been very quiet around here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eugene, Oregon...101....AMAZING!
    Maybe you two should take a lesson from the dogs and run through the sprinkler...hehe. I want to see pictures of that for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Right now at 9:14 pm Indiana time I sitting outside at 80 degrees when it was 92 at 7:30pm. It feels great! The hounds are happy and I am happy. I still cannot believe its that hot in Oregon. Enjoy the AC or the coast until it cools down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dogs sure loved those sprinklers! My daughter and son-in-law are responsible for the high temps. They brought the AZ heat with them when they moved, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. the 'dawg' days of summer!..got to love it!..warm up here too!..very warm!!..what a fun idea for the visiting poochies!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Know what you mean about a quiet house, with my two gone it's drives me batty, I just love the sound of squealing kid's and running feet,Donna not so much so, she asks me how i put up with the constant chatter and the id's and dogs running the length of the house and hallway. Glad to see the weather is nice. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shots of Lucy; I especially like the one with her paw on the sprinkler.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pics of the dogs having fun in your backyard. It's hot here too but it's supposed to start cooling back down to normal in the next day or so. Yahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Donna, you could always go play in the sprinklers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved the photos of the dogs - they are as much fun to watch as the kids, and a lot less energy and work, I'm sure. So cute! Stay cool. :)

    ReplyDelete