October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Got Elk???

It’s been a long day and we saw many exciting things today, but I want to show just one thing this evening.  On the way to Reedsport, OR, just past Elkton on Hwy. 38, is the Dean Creek Elk Viewing Area.  This area is a BLM managed site and you can read all about it by clicking the link. It is a large area and if you can catch a glimpse of the elk off in the distance, it’s usually a good day.   Bear in mind these are wild elk and the only fence is the one that keeps the public out of their sanctuary.  However, some interlopers have not yet learned to read!!
a1000838

Today was WAAAY more than a glimpse.  These elk were up close and personal.  Foolishly, some children were allowed to walk down the small embankment and stand right next to the fence within spitting distance of the elk.  It didn’t seem to bother the elk but it did not seem like a good idea to me.  This is a handicap accessible area and the parking is right next to where the elk were today.

There were so many elk and none were fighting – just wait for the fall rut and it won’t be so peaceful!
a1150540

Their antlers were in varying stages of losing their velvet, though some still had it all.
a1150524

This fella was looking a little ragged around the edges but when all the velvet is gone he will be beautiful again.
a1150534

Now I do hope that RV Sue happens to come along and view this blog as she has had a heck of a time finding elk to view.  Just in the wrong place at the wrong time…and I just had to make a comment at the end of the video…You know I’m kidding.  Come to Oregon and we’ll show you some elk, RV Sue!

At any rate, this was as close as we have ever seen this herd and it was wonderful. No more words are needed, just enjoy the pictures and video of these magnificent animals.



a1150536

Thank you Russ for the still shots of the elk.

22 comments:

  1. Great Elk shots, that was a great opportunity to see so many up close:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT photos and wonderful video. I think Elk are lovely animals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thatsalotta elk! Are they really rubbing their velvet off already?

    I was listening to a woman in a store telling a man YOU DO NOT WANT TO GET ANYWHERE NEAR THEM! and I chalked our safe close encounter up to beginner's duck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice of the elk to pose for Russ' pictures and your video. A special moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Elk are just so majestic looking. And I sure wouldn't get close to them. Heard about a guy at Yellowstone who went up to a buffalo to turn his head for a better picture. Gee, is it any surprise he's in the hospital after being gored? People just don't understand these are WILD animals. Beautiful but wild. You got some of the neatest pictures. Now we want one of them fighting during rut.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice job on the pictures..we have driven past the Dean River area twice and never stopped!!..you can be darn sure we will next time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Magnificent animals! We've been through that area a few times and haven't ever seen them up that close.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's more Elks than I've ever seen in their Lodge bars during Happy Hour!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they ever lock horns when they're in the lodge bars??

      Delete
  9. What a great experience; there's nothing like seeing wildlife in their natural habitat. We had a great encounter in the Canadian Rockies a few years ago with Mr Elk standing roadside and posing for us so we didn't have to even leave the car.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Donna, you and Russ certainly were in the right place at the right time. The photos are superb and the Elk are truly magnificent!

    John and Ellen
    connectedtothevinephotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool was that? I'm with Sandie. I'll be waiting for a video of dueling elk set to the music of Dueling Banjos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Impressive elk photos! We don't seem to have much luck seeing wildlife, even on trails where we don't run into another person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have a cabin in Northcentral PA in the Allegheney Mountians. The Elk are in abundance in the area. Love watching them. Your shots are a great reminder that we need to take to plan to head back to our favorite area of PA and do some viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post! Loved the pictures and the video--very fitting background music. The elk certainly is a majestic animal.

    Rich and I were fortunate to come across a herd like that one year. It is a thrill.

    Thanks for sharing your experience. The video made me feel as though I was standing right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never seen so many all together before. Sure enjoyed Russ's pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They may not seem to mind the people, but they do tend to keep their eyes open. Big eating machines with big antlers! I wonder if they are that easy to approach during hunting season.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What great photos, never seen so many that close.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What beautiful pictures! I always love seeing elk. I could just sit and watch them all day. Thanks for sharing them with us!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  19. "LIKE" :-) thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was really great that you got to see them so close. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete