October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Sunday, August 12, 2012

I Think I’m Out of Touch!

Enjoying a cup of coffee this morning, I sat and perused the Sunday paper – the only one we buy.  I like to look at the ads and coupons, but the most important part is the funnies.  Just gotta read "’Pickles'.’  Sometimes I think the author has our house wired for video as some of those comic strips sure hit home.

Anyway, in the ads I saw this:bowl  Yes, you can purchase your very own Rachel Ray GARBAGE BOWL for the 'on sale' price of only $18.88, regular price $29.99.  Now the idea of having a bowl to throw stuff in while you are cooking makes sense.  And I have nothing against Rachel Ray, and I’m sure it’s a very nice bowl.  But, people, paying almost $20 for a GARBAGE bowl???  Are you nuts?  If you really want something to toss your potato peels and egg shells in, go to a garage sale and get one for a quarter.  Do people actually spend this kind of money just so they can emulate a celebrity?  I’m out of touch.

And then there was this ad in another flyer.  jeans Young men’s jeans are on sale for only $29.99…and they come complete with HOLES!!  I looked them up online and the ad says, “Destructed details and whiskering add well-worn touches.”  HELLO – these are supposed to be brand new jeans!  When my jeans started looking like that, I cut them off and made shorts out of them and put patches on what I couldn’t cut off.  When my grandgirls were visiting, they needed some long pants for the unexpected cool weather.  I took them to the local second hand store and got jeans that looked a whole lot better than these for under $5!  I don’t understand…I’m out of touch.

And don’t get me started on cupcakeunneeded appliances.  I wrote back in January about an doohickey I saw at Michaels for “only” $39.99.  It was a small machine that holds one cupcake.  You put the cupcake in, add sprinkles in the cups on top, push the plunger, and the thing swirls jimmies onto the cupcake.   Oh-Kay!!  I’m out of touch!

I was looking on Amazon at all the small appliances you can buy.  You can buy a separate appliance to make quesadillas, sandwiches, muffin tops, pizza, mini cupcakes, waffles (of course!), and a whole host of blenders, choppers, and mixers.  Geez, the list could go on forever.  You can even buy an electric iced tea maker!  I’m out of touch!

road proHowever, here’s my dilemma.  In looking at all the amazing electrical appliances for sale I came across this little gem.  Now isn’t that just the slickest thing ever?  You can put something in it at the start of your travel day, plug it into a 12V outlet, and let it cook while you travel.  When you reach your destination, your meal is ready.  How cool is that?  I’m thinking about ordering one.  Maybe I’m not so far out of touch after all!!

31 comments:

  1. I am amazed that there is an appliance for making muffin tops. I always thought they made appliances for getting rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of such a thing...GARBAGE bowl. I say...Get a life!

    Now your last electrical appliance makes sense. Sounds like something I better look into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the crock pot. When our girls were younger they called it a crackpot and they complained whenever Tracy used it. Now our oldest is married and working full time, she wishes she could use it every night! Oh how things change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids have called me a crackpot too...oh, you were talking about the cooking device!! Funny how things change once you're out on your own.

      Delete
  4. Let me see if I've got this right. You buy the cute little crock pot, fill it at the beginning of the day,plug it in and bounce down America's highways then at the end of the day you clean the mess off the floor and fix supper. Is that about how it works?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, from one 'out of toucher' to another I have to say I couldn't agree with your post more. I'm not a good one to get started on all that kind of wasteful supposedley trendy silly stuff either........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe our economy isn't quite as bad as it seems if people are really buying this stuff!!

      Delete
  6. Had to laugh Donna at some of the things people will buy. Liked your choice, sure nice having a hot dinner on arrival. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A $40.00 inverter you can buy at an auto parts store will let you plug anything in. Garbage bowl???? Puleeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea! Better than a new appliance.

      Delete
  8. This was too funny. I never look at ads anymore cause we don't buy anything. I have a thermal cooker that we use going down the road. Sit it in the sink and soup, chili, or stew is ready when we get set up. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad to hear I am not the only one who feels out of touch with some of the crazy stuff that goes today:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought a 12v coffee maker, it takes about 5x longer to brew. I have heard of people setting the crockpot in the sink and plugging it in and letting it cook while they are traveling. What happened to using the newspaper to put the food scraps on when cooking, and then rolling it up and tossing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. $29.99 for jeans with holes in them! What a bargain. I have seen them for as much as $200 in some idiot stores in the mall. I would jump on a pair of those and resell them on Ebay.

    The garbage bowl is a real must have if you have watched the Rachel Ray show. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you found the only gem among all that garbage. We use an inverter for lots of things while we travel, including occasionally the crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the ways of the modern thinking..the must haves of what some consider to be a neccesity!..
    while the rest of us are trying to get rid of things?

    ReplyDelete
  14. There must not be anything wrong with the economy if people are buying some of the things that we see in stores and online ... most of them make us shake our head and move on ... we must be out of touch, too "-))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way back in another lifetime, when my kids were little we'd take day trips to "see the world", I read that you could wrap a pot roast in foil and somehow strap it on to the manifold (I hope this is right... ) and halfway through the day turn it to the other side. When you got home you'd have a cooked pot roast with potatoes and carrots. I wanted to try this, but couldn't figure out how to make it stay in place while traveling. I don't think crockpots were even invented yet....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband travels with the National Guard. He does that all the time with a can of chili or stew. When all the other guys stop and eat cold MRE's he eats hot food. Works as good if not better than a crockpot.

      Donna K's daughter

      Delete
  16. I'm with you, Donna. It's amazing all the things one can buy nowadays. Randy often stands in the middle of the grocery store and marvels at all the choices we have. Kinda sad, too. Sometimes it's all too much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, the foods available in the stores -- here's dinner, make it from a kit in four minutes. Eventually will no one know how to really cook any more? You can even buy your whole Thanksgiving dinner from the deli!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've got a closet full of old, torn jeans. Instead of being 'out of touch' I could be right in style! I'd sell them before wearing them though.

    I guess there's a gizmo out there for anyone who has the money and wants to spend it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am just as out of touch as you are Donna! It's ridiculous. Although if we could come up with a marketable idea like that, I would be glad to accept the profits :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. An interesting alternative to the 12v crock-pot is a 12v lunchbox cooker. They are typically sold to truckers and they work similar to crock-pots but since they are designed like an old fashioned lunchbox, they have latches to keep it spill-proof as you rock'n'roll down the highway.

    If you look for them you might see them for sale at your next truckstop. Or you can find one here: http://www.12volt-travel.com/12-volt-appliances-c-88.html They also sell the crockpot and hundreds of 12-volt gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads-up, Ross. We like to stop at truckstops so will check it out.

      Delete
  21. Instead of a bowl I use a wide mouth that something came in with a screw on lid to put scraps in, then just throw it away. No smell or messy garbage bag.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry, missed the word container or jar after wide mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whew, Susan, sure glad you clarified that before Donna grabbed my and my big mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I still may do that. That'd be PERFECT!!

      Delete