April 2011

April 2011
Boondocking at my brother's in Reno, April 2011

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake

During my recent illness, I had a hard time finding anything that tempted my appetite.  I tried, and rejected, a number of items that I thought sounded good such as scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, and even popsicles.  One bite and my stomach would revolt!

One day, I decided that strawberry shortcake would be just the thing and so I set about making some.  I like the old fashioned biscuit-type shortcake.  Now you can be sure this is a biscuit and not a scone even though it does contain some extra sugar!

I mixed up the dough.

P1030096


And baked those biscuits to a golden brown.

P1030098

Since I was sick I didn’t really care what shape the biscuits were in so I cut two out with the biscuit cutter and just gathered up all the scraps for a third.

When it was all done and assembled it look and smelled sooooo good.

P1030099

I took two bites and that was it…couldn’t do anymore.  So now I am EXTRA hungry for strawberry shortcake but I don’t have any strawberries.  With the cold, wet weather we are having, I am concerned about the Oregon crop – I may NEVER get my strawberry shortcake! (Guess I could go buy some at Costco!)

But the best thing about the whole experience was hearing Russ retell his favorite strawberry shortcake story.  It happened when he was a hungry young man still serving in the National Guard.  It was his drill weekend so he was late to a family gathering at his brother’s house.

When he arrived, all that was left to eat were bits and pieces, but there was enough fixings for a big serving of strawberry shortcake.  He felt he deserved it so he fixed ALL that was left and slathered it with whipped cream from a spray can.  He took and HUGE bite, anticipating the squish of the ripe berries and the sweetness of the smooth cream making a happy melody in his mouth.  Instead he tasted the vilest thing he ever had and began to spit the whole big mouthful into the trash.  Seems what he had topped off his shortcake with was NOT whipped cream but Glory Rug Shampoo!!  Since he had taken the last of the leftovers – that was it for strawberry shortcake for Russ.  If only I had been there….

15 comments:

  1. What a hoot of a story about Russ! But, ugh, what a taste that must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was in a red and white can, and I figured it was whipped cream, since it was just sitting there on the countertop. Everybody else was out in the backyard having fun, so I was in a hurry and didn't actually stop to take a good look at the can. It was pressurized and it was red and white and that was good enought for me at the time. I've since learned to be a bit more thorough in examining products both in stores and at home. (It's amazing that I've lived to be 65, huh?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh blech, Russ. Well, if not for that rug shampoo, that day would have been nothing but a plate of strawberry shortcake instead of a long-lasting story.

    That's too bad the shortcake didn't do the trick this time. Usually your craving will tell the tale.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say, that doesn't seem so strange when compared to some things I've seen him eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all have our strawberry shortcake stories. I made some wipped cream out of heavy wipping cream but did not realize you had to add sugar and vanilla. Man was that an interesting desert.


    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best strawberries I have ever had were grown by our farmer neighbor in Wisconsin. Big, jucie and so sweet. The strawberry patch was on the down hill side of the barn and she said the run off was the best fertilizer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I'd eat that Strawberry Shortcake whether it was a scone or a biscuit! Looked great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your 'dessert' looked delicious!..don't know about Russ's 'whipcream though'? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like a good topping of Glory Rug Shampoo to clean the seeds right out of those strawberries for sure. Probably did a fine shampooing job on all the fine follicle hairs on Russ's tongue too. That is, if a tongue has fine follicle hairs of course..........

    ReplyDelete
  10. He may never eat strawberry shortcake again:) Maybe he had a free dental cleaning from the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story, I'll think of it every time I eat strawberry shortcake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man! What a disappointment. But did you ever brush your teeth with a squeeze of Preparation H? Yucko!

    Strawberries are plentiful and quite inexpensive down here in our area (we are currently in Carson City). So now we want some shortcake! But we prefer to use angel food cake under the berries. And Cool Whip on top. We're lazy, you see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great story about Russ and the strawberry shortcake. I thought sure you would say it was shaving cream. It used to come in a red and white can too. Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Russ, that is just too funny. Sad though because that strawberry shortcake sounded so good. Your biscuits look like the kind my hubby just loves. His Aunt always made them for him so he's really spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yuck! After an experience like that, not sure I'd be taking a bit out of another strawberry shortcake ... ever.

    ReplyDelete