October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Birds and Blooms at the Arboretum

The University of California at Santa Cruz maintains an arboretum that is open to the public.  For only $5 you can stroll through the gardens and enjoy their expansive collection of plants.  And of course when the plants are blooming, they attract a variety of birds.  Todays’ visit was focused on seeing the beautiful Allen and Anna’s hummingbirds.

Walkways lead you through many different garden areas.

Unfortunately, I was still not feeling well, so I stayed home with Poppy and Russ went with Kate and Terry.  All photos shown here were taken by Russ, with his new camera!!
The colors on the different blossoms were stunning. 









aDSCN0087
I have no idea what any of these are, I just enjoy looking at them.  I wish I had been able to see them in person.

Russ’s new camera is a Nikon P510, with a 42X optical zoom.  It has some other neat features too and he is really enjoying it.  We started out looking for a new camera for me, but Russ found this one and was so taken with it, that we ended up buying it.  I’m glad he has something he enjoys working with.

They saw quite a few hummers.  Russ took some high speed video (which slows down the motion).  Here’s a short 30 second clip.  Fist is a little guy sitting still…something you don’t often see hummers do…then just a little bit of a hummingbird doing what hummingbirds do best!


This is an Allen’s hummingbird (I think).









And this is…..



   THE END!

17 comments:

  1. Russ did a great job with the new camera! Sure hope you feel better soon, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russ, these photos are amazing! Donna, we hope you get to feeling better soon. Here in Pismo, it's raining tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics.... luv the new camera! Will you hurry and get we?ll!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you have the feel bads... hope you get better soon. Great pictures.. love the "slow motion" hummer video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures. We love our Nikkon too. Donna get well soon. It must be miserable being sick on your little get away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fifth photo looks like a proteus. We had those in Hawaii.

    Really nice flower photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures, hope you get better soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna, hope you are feeling better. Russ and his new camera did some very nice work together. I particularly like the "sitting" close-up of the hummingbird, it's wonderful!

    John and Ellen
    connectedtothevinephotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful place to visit. I loved the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job Russ! What bright colorful flowers.
    The hummingbird photos are super. The End is too cute.

    Hope you feel better today Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those were some really great pics you took. I love the video as well. It sure is nice to have a new camera to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Russ' new camera with that great zoom range should cover just about any photography situation he's ever going to run across.

    Great photos so Russ is off to a perfect start. Maybe we'll have to consider him for the Birdman of Blogland award this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. those flowers are wonderful and the video stunning!!! Great job Russ!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that camera!!! The close-ups of the flowers are beautiful. And the little hummer at the end, is so cute. According to my field guide, he is either an Allen's Hummingbird, or... it also says he is virtually identical to the Rufous Hummingbird, but a tiny bit lighter in weight. Your's might be a Rufous becuase of the location. The photos were identical in the guide.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great hummingbird shot ... that 42X camera is like the Canon SX50 I bought in December ... I don't go anywhere without it now

    ReplyDelete