Russ Likes Weird Food!!
…of course that is only my humble opinion! We went to Trader Joe’s the other day and got some good looking fish and other yummies. As we were checking out, Russ spied a display of seaweed snack packs. He wanted to try it and since it was less than a buck, I told him to go for it. Why not?? He ate it and he liked it. Not a bad snack health wise.
Then I made the mistake of sending
him to Costco, unsupervised. You all know how the package sizes run at Costco. Guess what Russ found? Yup, SEAWEED! TEN bags of seaweed! Each bag contains a bunch of crisp little sheets of dried seaweed.
There were serving suggestions on the side of the bag but the only one I recognized is sushi and I won’t be making any of that soon!
When it comes to food, Russ and I are not always on the same page. He likes tofu and since I have no idea what to do with the stuff, he just chops it up into little squares and eats it plain or with some salsa. Sorry but – ewww, yuk!!
Many years ago when my sister lived in Hawaii we would go for a visit. Her native Hawaiian husband, Sandy, loved Russ because Russ would eat ANYTHING! He ate poki (big chunks of raw fish), sashimi (raw, seasoned salmon), octopus, squid, and all manner of strange snack foods. When we went to a luau, the fellas who were uncovering the pig jokingly asked who wanted the tongue. Well guess who volunteered and actually ate the thing?
Now I know I should eat healthier and
I have been adding more fiber and vegetables. Call me crazy, but I just can’t hack seaweed and tofu. And yes, I did try the seaweed and yes, it was YUKKY! Give me a good old flapjack any day of the week. That’ll turn my crank every time! One good thing, I never have to worry about what I fix. Russ will eat it and usually compliment me on it too. It’s nice to serve a non-picky person but I just don’t think I will be joining him anytime soon in some of his culinary explorations. He should maybe join up with that guy on TV, Andrew Zimmern, who goes all over the world eating strange foods.
And now if you’ll excuse me, I am in the middle of making a potato salad…one of my favorite travel foods.
Craig is the same, but insists I try everything too. Most of the time I like whatever it is. What can be a challenge sometimes is when he bring something new home and hands it off to me to cook.
ReplyDeleteThank goodness for Google.
I know, right, Merikay! Russ does that too. He'll bring home this really strange food item and give it to me to fix. I don't even know what it is, let alone how to fix it. I tell him to put ketchup on it and eat it!!
ReplyDeleteRuss needs his own website LIKE THIS.
ReplyDeleteOH MY!!
DeleteJust think - he could be like a friend of ours instead. The friend eats NO meat, dairy, veggies or fruit. His sole diet? Saltines, burnt toast with peanut butter, peanut butter crackers, potato chips (Lays brand only) burnt to a crisp french fries, and pancakes with nothing on them. That's about it. He only drinks Mountain Dew (with Old Granddad) and Propel water. Does he have health issues? Absolutely.
ReplyDeleteSo, think about how it must be to be his wife. On the good side, she never has to cook. Whereas, you sure need to be up to some challenges.
His Propel water is yellow, right?
DeleteOkay! I feel much better now!!
DeleteSeaweed snack packs don't even sound good let alone eat them!
ReplyDeleteI always knew there was something a bit different about Russ but just couldn't put my finger on it. Good luck with all that seaweed.
He's going to need it, cuz I sure won't help him eat it! Different but never boring: That's my Russ!!
DeleteObviously Russ needs supervision at the Costco. Sounds like he will be eating SeaWeed for some time!
ReplyDeleteI can promise, there won't be any competition for the seaweed! It's all his...*:) happy
Delete...and no more solo Costco runs!
Isn't it great we all don't like the same food? If we did, there would probably be a shortage of it. In the meantime, I won't fight Russ for his seaweed. I know lots of folks eat it but to me it belongs in the sea and not in my stomach.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on that one!
DeleteI'm with you, Donna. I'll pass on the tofu and seaweed. Thank goodness Dave and I are fairly compatible when it comes to food. Gee, I'll even eat haggis, but only in Scotland! ;)
ReplyDeleteOkay, you're braver than I am. I know what haggis is and I don't think I could do that. About the strangest thing I eat is sauerkraut!
DeleteSome of that does sound a bit different. But we sure do love the trader joe's dark chocolate big bars:)
ReplyDeleteHmmmm...now you're talking!
DeleteI can't help but think that if you & Russ were marooned on an island, he'd definitely be a survivor! You might starve though -- as would I!
ReplyDeleteI think you got that right.
DeleteI am sooooo totally with you on this one Donna. Flapjacks rule:))
ReplyDeleteI thought you might be, Al!!
DeleteYum, sauerkraut--I had that for lunch today. Seaweed I tried one time when we were in Hawaii, but I've never bought it at a store. I didn't even know that it was available at Trader Joe's or Costco. Dave grilled Trader Joe's bulgogi tonight, though, and it was yummy!
ReplyDeleteNot sure what bulgogi is but I'm sure Russ would like it. Does it go well with sauerkraut LOL?
DeleteIn my younger years I was more willing to try new stuff, not weird stuff, new stuff as something I had not tasted before. Like brown rice instead of white, Lima beans instead of green beans, etc.
ReplyDeleteBut now nope I am in a rut and I like it. Give me the old down home cooking.
When we went on a cruise to Alaska, I vowed to try a different food every day...and I did! But different to me was something like creamed spinach or catfish, both of which I actually liked. That's about as exotic as I care to get.
DeleteOk Donna, our grandson has some Vietnamese blood in him. The last time we went to visit he offered me some seaweed packaged like potatoe chips. I tried it and liked it. So I went to an Oriental Supermarket in Portland and found some. I bought a couple of packages and really enjoyed snacking on them. I have to be careful though because they seemed pretty salty. I saw the seaweed at Costco, but thought better of buying it because of the large quanity.
ReplyDeleteI'll share!!! Yes, I read the sodium content on these packages and I wouldn't want Russ to eat too many. Not good for the blood pressure.
DeleteRuss would fit right in with me & Bill. I love those seaweed snacks... and one of my favorite foods is lightly sauteed tofu marinated in pesto. Yesterday for lunch our host had fixed a delicious seafood/pasta meal... octopus, shrimp, mussels and other seafoods in a broth... served with the pasta! Delicious! We love Trader Joe's but are enjoying the different foods here. Russ might have fun reading the labels as well ;-)
ReplyDeleteI'll be sure and pack a lunch if I go out with you and Bill and Russ LOL!! Yes, he would love your culinary adventures.
DeleteI'm a pretty picky eater, so I will probably not tried the seaweed snacks, but in Turkey they use a type of seaweed to make a pretty tasty salad. It looks like a stringy green vegetable, which helps with the visual aspect of eating something unusual.
ReplyDeleteAs part of a salad I might be able to eat it. I never thought I would eat spinach in eggs but I make a pretty tasty spinach/cheese omelet!
DeleteNo wonder you need a trip in Therapy now and then! :)
ReplyDeleteI haven't looked but maybe Russ is planning to sneak some seaweed aboard!
DeleteI like to try almost anything like Russ, but pig's tongue is going a bit too far for my taste.
ReplyDeleteIt sure got the attention of the crowd!
DeleteHowdy Russ,
ReplyDeleteDonna just doesn't get it, does she?? There's lots of GOOD stuff out there to eat and doesn't need to be 'chicken-fried'!!! Seaweed is used as a thickener in a whole lot of 'food' items, from dressings to ice cream treats and people just don't know it... Now, if y'all would only come on down to Texas we could have some GRILLED AGGIE LUNCH-BOX(armadillo) or COLD COON & COLLARDS or maybe, if we're lucky some Rattlesnake salad!!! Pigs tongue is a delicacy, so's, the beef tongue; to say nothin' about the 'oysters'!!! Shuckin's, tofu needs a shot of Pace's HOT salsa to give it some flavor!! Bet that seaweed would make a good 'jaw-stuffer', like Beech-Nut does!!! Probably spit green, tho!!! We used alfalfa and did the same thing!!!
That all sounds like stuff Russ would like! Not sure even he would try those "oysters" although he does like the ones that come from the sea. Tell ya what, I'll send Russ to visit you and I'll go spend a few days on the beach.
DeleteDonna, Suzy and I are on your side in this one. No sushi, no seaweed, no tofu. But you oughta taste some of the protein shakes my lady makes -- they've got spinach, kale, a little carrot, some zucchini, maybe a piece of apple, some frozen berries, and a scoop or two of protein powder. They are scrumptious. She never makes 'em the same twice. Often has chocolate syrup added for more flavor. Yes, they helped her lose 136 pounds, 14 more to go.
ReplyDeleteSuzy has got to be doing something right!! A little fruit makes the veggies go down easier for sure. Not sure about the chocolate syrup though LOL!!
DeleteI am so NOT adventuresome with food. Tofu and seaweed - not in my house. And Jim may like food but he would also draw the line at anything strange. At least Russ has his snacks for the next couple of months and you won't send him back to Costco any time soon.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking about having his Costco card confiscated LOL!!
DeleteNot sure I have ever eaten seaweed. He might like Kale Chips,too. I have had those and they were very good.
ReplyDeleteHe got a mixed bag of veggie chips at a farm last year and he loved them. Me? Not so much!!
DeletePoki? Sashimi?
ReplyDeleteI have another word for raw fish. Bait!!
:-)
Ed
You got that right, Ed!!
DeleteYuk! Sounds to me like the next time you go to the Oregon Coast, you should just bring a couple of big green garbage bags and fill it up with seaweed, crab shells and the other stuff on the beach. Just think, you could feed Russ for months with no cost at all.
ReplyDeleteSea-soup...that's a souper idea!!
Delete
ReplyDeleteSuch fun all this food talk !!!!!
Was thinking the same thing Andrew Zimmern when you were sharing Russ's willingness to try so many different foods. Potato salad for traveling? Am I missing a departure date for your trip south? Have a great Sunday!
ReplyDelete