October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day Thoughts - WARNING: Political post

It’s finally here, the day we look forward to – an end to the the asinine political ads on TV and the endless computer generated phone calls.  However, this year, I fear election day will not end the wrangling that has beset our country and has caused such division amongst our people.  Already lawsuits have been filed in some counties in Florida regarding election procedures.  We haven’t heard the end of this.

It almost seems we are a bunch of kindergarten children, selfishly declaring that I must get everything I want and to heck with the rest of you.  If I can’t have all the best toys, then I am not going to play. 

Unfortunately, in a country with well over 300 MILLION people, no one will EVER get everything to go their way.  No TWO people will agree about everything so how can we expect 300 million to agree?  My point is that grown-ups learn to listen and compromise.  No, compromise is NOT a dirty word.  It is simply a recognition that someone who disagrees with you has as much right to their opinion as you do to yours. 

What has happened to civility?  Why can we not work with one another to effect the changes we desire without having to run rough-shod over anyone who disagrees?  I fully advocate standing up for your individual ideals but recognize that others have ideals that, while they may be different, are just as closely held.  We can engage in civil debate and discourse without alienating those with whom we disagree.  We can work within the system to change those things we think need to be changed, while realizing that we will not get “our way” 100% of the time.  And we can be civil about it.

Congress has set a terrible example for our citizens by refusing to reach across the aisle and work together to get things done.  Our citizens have embraced this ethic to dig in their heels and refuse to listen to anything other than their own party’s rhetoric.  We have become selfish to the point where we can see no other point but our own.

I am not saying that we should lay down “arms” and discontinue fighting for what we believe in.  I am only saying that we need to recognize that compromise is inherent in a democracy.  You will not get everything you want because everyone has rights that are just as important as yours.  In a democracy where everyone has a say in how our country is governed, nothing will get accomplished unless we are willing to sacrifice some of our desires in order to see others come to fruition.  And we need to do it with civility.

With that in mind I am making this declaration:

If my candidate wins, I will not gloat, but will be gracious in victory.

If my candidate loses, I will not pout, but will accept defeat with honor.

I will respect the office of the President, even if I disagree with the politics or the person in that office. 

I will replace the energy I waste on tearing down an elected official with working in a positive manner to see the changes made that I believe in.  (I wonder what we could accomplish if all the time and energy directed at making political jokes, false accusations, sending out disparaging emails, were instead turned into positive and productive action?)

I will not abandon my beliefs or my desire to see change but will work to effect that change without rancor towards the “other side.”

I will engage in debate when warranted but will remember to LISTEN as well as speak.  Perhaps someone who disagrees with me will have a valid idea (what a novel thought!)  Debate is not bad, lack of civility is.

I will educate myself on issues and candidates and will not allow the media to dictate my choices.  I will read, I will listen, and I will decide.

Let us never forget that government is ourselves and not an alien power over us. The ultimate rulers of our democracy are not a President and senators and congressmen and government officials, but the voters of this country.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

41 comments:

  1. Amen. I couldn't have said it better, Donna. No matter which candidate wins, many people will be unhappy. Will they show civility and compromise? Unlikely, but we can always hope and pray for the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably 50/50 on happy or disappointed with the results. Hope everyone stays cool.

      Delete
  2. Good post. Now with the advent of the Internet there is so much uncivil behavior. Posters say the rudest things to each other. Do people talk this way face to face? It is even more distressing when we hear people in authority sloping to a low level. Let's hope that we can all work to change this around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. We have become a society of rudeness hiding behind a clock of internet induced anonymity. I hope and pray this can turn around.

      Delete
    2. Wait just a minute...I think you meant "hiding behind a cloak" !

      Delete
    3. You're right on time with that comment. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Great post...could not have said it better myself! And thank goodness the phone calls will end tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I agree completely with your sentiments about the need for civility, I think there is a bit of a false equivalency in blaming both parties equally.

    Looking at what goes on in the U.S., I think that until someone, or many, in the Republican Party can get race-baiting, misogynist loudmouths like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity to stop spewing their white-hot hatred and bile over the radio 6 hours a day there isn't going to be much of a change.

    This hate-radio message is put out by just one party and is in my opinion the biggest single reason for the decline in civility. The Democrats don't have anyone who even approaches the level of hate broadcast by these 2.

    It will take a brave politician to stand up to these extreme right-wing fanatics and, so far, no one has stepped forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A free country also entails free speech. If those you mentioned were not getting a reaction, they would be without an audience. Many listen just so they can dispute with them, and talk about how terrible they are. Don't listen, don't react.

      Delete
    2. Sure it's free speech - no argument there at all, but with all freedoms in a democratic society, they come with certain responsibilities and duties both in the U.S.A and here in Canada.

      Hate speech is intended to degrade, intimidate, or incite violence or prejudicial action against someone based on his/her race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.

      When good, decent people excuse and act as apologists for this type of conduct it is an extreme disservice to those who want to see strong, passionate civil discourse.

      How can one argue for more civility in politics but then excuse hate speech simply by saying "don't listen, don't react". Try and tell that to a child who is being ridiculed as a 'retard' simply for having a learning disability. Try and tell that to the child who is being mercilessly bullied in school because of his/her ethnicity.

      Is the solution to simply tell them "don't listen, don't react" and everything will be o.k.?? I don't think so.

      Speech can be free but it can still be wrong and identified as such.

      There will always be an audience for the type of hate speech delivered by the likes of Limbaugh. It's just too bad that the Republican Party feels the need to align themselves so closely with him while he promotes it.

      Delete
    3. Rick you are proving my point about civility. Let's quit pointing fingers and find a solution. As long as the earth is inhabited by human beings, there will be idiots who will say what they will. I don't know what Rush Limbaugh says because I don't listen to him. That's why God gave you a finger...push the off button! As long as people on EITHER side react and become confrontational, the talk will continue. Any kind of attention keeps them on the air. Much of what is labeled "Hate Speech" is taken out of context and is simply one's opinion.

      You stated you did not see such things from the other side. I could site some things for you and will do so in a personal email if you are truly interested but I will not participate in a public finger pointing session as that is of no help to anyone.

      I do not mean to be unkind but I am sincerely interested as to why you display such a concern for the Democratic Party of the USA? I know we are neighbor nations but I don't live, work, or vote in Canada so I do not feel so inclined to criticize or become embroiled in your political process. This is a sincere question and I am not being sarcastic. Feel free to email me if you want.

      Delete
    4. The world is affected by what happens here. We're big dogs, sometimes big, mean dogs. Big mean dogs who fight civil rights, and you know what I'm saying.

      Roxanne

      Delete
    5. It didn't seem to me that Rick was in any way uncivil. I agree that the discourse has been dominated by strident voices. And, as a minority member who has been volleyed about during the campaign (and maligned during a candidate's time as governor), I will always lean towards tolerance and advancing civil rights.

      If we stop leaning in that direction, what remains?

      Delete
    6. Donna, you asked: I do not mean to be unkind but I am sincerely interested as to why you display such a concern for the Democratic Party of the USA? I know we are neighbor nations but I don't live, work, or vote in Canada so I do not feel so inclined to criticize or become embroiled in your political process. This is a sincere question and I am not being sarcastic. Feel free to email me if you want.

      Well, you were very quick to rush to the defense of Rush Limbaugh claiming his right to free speech. So, I'm simply going to claim the same right of free speech you afforded him. I don't really feel the need to offer any other explanation.

      Here's why - we're commenting on blogs on the Internet and there is no USA, Canada or China making the rules. The Internet is a free speech area for anyone and since you brought up politics in your blog post and invite comments, that's exactly what I chose to do.

      You are free to comment on Canadian politics as many Americans already do in their blogs (i.e. Canada's Universal Health Care, Guns etc.). As a Canadian, I welcome the comments and even the criticisms.

      I expressed my opinion and I kind of feel that because you may not like it you might be reverting to a "shoot the messenger" mode. I hope not.

      In any event, President Obama was re-elected this evening and I was happy to see that. We'll have to wait and see how things go as far as cooperation goes.

      Delete
    7. Rick you are free to comment, I simply wondered why you are so vehement in your defense of Democrats. I have no intention of "shooting the messenger," and if you felt that way then I apologize. It just seems there is almost anger at our system and I wondered why. You are free to say what you like - just like I am.

      Please do NOT imply that I rushed to the defense of Rush Limbaugh. I rushed to the defense of free speech. As I said, I know very little of Rush Limbaugh because I choose to exercise my right of not listening to him. You must listen or you would not know what he has to say. If you do not listen then you are letting someone else feed you sound bites and you are swallowing them without hearing the full content for yourself. That is why I cannot comment on the content of any of the right wing extremest (they are NOT part of the mainstream) view points. I don't listen and I will not take sides on something I have not heard for myself. I will not allow someone else to inflame my emotions and fill my head with bias. It is people on both sides who listen to such claptrap that keep it on the air. Shows like that are all about the ratings and they purposely inflame the passions of both sides to maintain those ratings. They don't care if you love them or hate them as long as you tune in. I refuse to play that game and just flat won't listen. If more people tuned OUT perhaps the problem would be self limiting.

      I cannot change Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity or for that matter Jeremiah Wright or Samir Shabazz. I can only change me. The intent of my post was not to discuss what is wrong with this nation, or with yours - that would take many posts and more words than I care to write. My intent was to state what I intend to do with MY OWN actions and issue a plea for civility and cooperation. It is on BOTH sides of the equation that this must happen and pointing fingers and assigning blame is not the way to accomplish moving forward.

      No matter how one feels about the two party system (and I DON'T like it) it is for now a fact of life and we can work to change that or we can continue the incessant wrangling and never accomplish a thing.

      Delete
  5. Well said, I am with you lets get on with being the Greatest Country and world power there ever was, and not a laughing stock for the rest of the world. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so tired I can only echo "well said." :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 4 years ago we were on some cruise ship in the Caribbean with a few of our kids and their spouses/friends. We heard the election results while sitting in a bar drinking some alcoholic beverage. With all that has gone on... and continues to transpire, I kind of wish that's where we were this evening. Truth is, Donna, you "said it like it is" and wrote a very good post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good post, Donna. I'm tired of the election. I'm tired of the ads and the finger pointing. I'm tired of reading comments that point from the left to the right or from the right to the left such as Rick made. I think it's out of line. There are fanatics on both sides and I'm tired of both of them. I'm glad it's over. I did like your post. It was right down the middle. Both sides need to compromise and not just one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my point - stop pointing fingers and being confrontational and let's work together.

      Delete
  9. tomorrow we will wake up to a newly elected President - it may be a Republican or it may be a Democrat... all I know is that it will be my President!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope we wake up to a newly elected president, however my sense is that this may be one that is settled by the courts after hearing the many lawsuits that are sure to be filed. Dear God, I hope not. Let's pull together and not apart.

      Delete
  10. Well said, Donna. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone believed what you wrote?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here in Desch Co we already had a bout of voter fraud, one of the people counting or checking votes was checking republican for those ballots that left the president blank!!! Fortunately with all the checks & balances they were caught early & replaced/arrested...i mean- really?? Aren't we grown-ups? AND Congress should not be allowed to go home until they complete the work set before them...maybe that would make them more efficient or learn the compromise lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, thank you Donna! And yet another Thank You for citing F.D.R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a great man...and he loved Campobello Island!

      Delete
  13. Well said....ever consider running for office?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I served on enough boards to have had my fill of anything political LOL!!

      Delete
  14. AMEN! We have so many friends that do not agree with us political...so be it. But, Paul and I never talk negative to anyone about the President...Dem. or Repub. But our friends just can't wait to attack anything that the President says or does. We have many of heated discussions with them. I have finally just said...NO discussion of politics from here on out. I just can't take the negativeness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank u Donna for a great post. It is true, there is much discord on both sides. What rankles me is the media is so biased - they should report everything that is newsworthy and not just for one side. Hopefully this will be the beginning of new and good things. I too wonder why those outside of our country are so concerned with happenings here. It would seem all would have enough to handle in their own countries. And I very much agree with the "use the finger and change the channel" concept. If hate spewers are not getting the audience they want, they will soon busy themselves elsewhere. But I also think the "race card" is pulled when some people feel nothing else will work. I think it's time to stop being "politically correct" and start being truthful. No more automated calls (I hope) after tonight! Thanks again for good posts and gooc comments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. At this hour of election night, I read these comments with great pride that somehow we will survive and come together...

    ReplyDelete
  17. being a neighbour to the north of you, I read this post thinking 'Good for you Donna'..Be it in Canada or the USA, we both live in a democratic country where we are given the power to vote and it will be the people that decide who they want to be president. Tomorrow there may be a new resident in the White House or maybe not?
    I could say 'may the better man win?' if I could figure out which one that is?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Donna, defending a clown like Rush Limbaugh for any reason, even free speech, is always fraught with danger - it's dicey ground to tread. So, I agree and accept your explanation o.k.

    Let me say it again and say it clearly - "I accept your statement as totally true when you say you were not defending Rush Limbaugh".

    Your opinion and view are far more important to me than anything he thinks or says.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The election is over. Donna, I agree 100% with what you said and your post was very well written.

    I shouldn't get involved in this, but I just had to comment on the "race baiting" issue.

    I have heard some terribly nasty comments made from some hosts on MSNBC. Lawrence O'Donnell, Rachael Madow and especially Chris Mathews. They spew the most hateful things I've heard on Tv.

    Some people think you can't be a racist if you are against whites, but I disagree. Racism is racism, whether it is against whites or blacks.

    Chris Mathews is among the worst.

    ReplyDelete