First stop was the Three Rivers Casino. Russ liked the look of the grass at the top of this dune and the way it contrasted against the very blue sky.
Poppy got out and walked around a bit then we went into the casino. We were going to have lunch but it was too hot to leave Poppy in the car, even with the windows down. There was very little breeze to keep the temperature down inside the car. So we just made a quick pit stop and went down to the waterfront in Florence.
We found that we had a choice of which Florence we wanted to visit.
Since it was already well past lunch time, we decided Florence, OR would have to do for today. We had lunch at Mo’s. Some of their famous Potato Surprise Chowder. The surprise is when you find a clam!! I liked it anyway!! Russ was happy as a clam with his platter of strips.
Whatever you think of the food at Mo’s, you have to admit, it’s in a great location right on the Siuslaw River.
After walking along the pier and inspecting
There was a lot of rot in many of the pilings but I am sure they are inspected regularly and are as safe as can be…
The pier goes for quite a way and made for a pleasant after lunch walk. There were several boats tied up and Poppy acted liked she wanted to board. She was getting tired and I think she was hoping to find a bathtub to relax in!!
This old gal found a perfect perch to watch for any stray food that might be dropped on the pier.
In addition to the pier, there is also a long boardwalk with benches strategically placed to allow one to wander or just sit and watch the water.
We didn’t spend a lot of time exploring the many quaint shops in Old Town, but Russ did spy this Whirl-i-gig for our John Deere loving friends.
The sun was getting low in the sky and the haze was starting to roll in as we walked back to the car. I wanted to try a couple of backlit shots and this is what I came up with.
And so as the sun sets slowly in the west….we headed east back towards Eugene, happy that we had listened to our inner child and took a spontaneous drive to the coast.
I call Mo's Bacon Chowder because it tastes more like bacon than clam. I figure a lot of good advertising dollars made it so popular and not necessarily the taste. However, you are right in that the location can't be beat.
ReplyDeleteWhat a neat day for you guys. Did Poppy climb in the tub as soon as she hit the house? She's probably looking for some cooler weather. I'm glad you listened to that inner child also.
ReplyDeletePoppy only paused long enough to eat her dinner. She has been in the tub ever since!! What a dog...
DeleteOh how we loved Florence. We love the County park we stayed at. I actually like the chowder at ICM better.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful day you two had. Hope the weather holds out so you can many more before that white stuff starts blowing.
Oh, I'd give my right arm to just "take a ride over to the coast". Rich and I ate at Moes whenever we went through Florence. There's an ice cream store that we never misses as many times as we were there. On my 2010 trip, I took a picture of my daughter in front of it and told her how he always conned me by saying how ice cream always tasted better when I got it for him.
ReplyDeleteWe spent quite a few lazy afternoons on the boardwalk and looking at the boats. And, you're right, Donna, sitting sharing a meal overlooking the water always made for a great time together (felt the same about the food). The Mo's in Newport is more "authentic" if I can use that word. Here's a history of Mo's if you're interested: http://www.moschowder.com/story.php
I have the book and movie "Sometimes a Great Notion". Entertaining, and somehow you just know it's Oregon. I saw it before I ever knew I'd make it to the coast--had to have it in my collection--it's a classic, now.
Great pictures, as always--was good to see the boardwalk. Now I have to go look up the name of the ice cream store--it's on the tip of my tongue!
We have been to the Newport Mo's' many times, and to the "Annex" as well. Love the history of Mo's and I think it was better when Mo was alive. I still like it even if the chowder is a lot of spuds!! I hope you get to come back and visit Oregon again someday.
DeleteA little PS: I hit send before proofing and it's very obvious. Please excuse.
ReplyDeleteMistakes and typos are never noticed on this blog!!
Deleteoh to be able to visit the Oregon Coast just for the afternoon? 'want to go to work for me, so we can do that tomorrow?'
ReplyDeletebeautiful photos today, Donna! Nice job on the 'back-lit' ones!!
Gorgeous pictures! I like Florence, too, only for us it's four hours away!
ReplyDeleteWhat great pictures, you are so right when you say Oregon(gun) is a beautiful place. It is definitely on the list for us. Be safe out there. your friends. Sam & Donna...
ReplyDeleteNice day on the coast ... thanks for taking these weary packers along on a trip.
ReplyDeleteLove your pictures - beautiful shots! :)
ReplyDeleteMo's is listed in the book "500 Things to Eat Before it's Too Late". I think we had chowder at the one in Newport as well as Florence... Your pictures brought back some memories of our time in Oregon a couple years ago.
ReplyDeleteWhat a terrific day - and, a great looking lunch too.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos, Donna. Those pilings look like they could use some work.
Russ actually looked much happier than the clams.
ReplyDeleteWay to go children! I, of course, am somewhat jealous! AND, I keep forgetting to tell you that Florence is the town that had the little shopping area down below a bridge! As for the flower growth area... it must be somewhere south of that. We went north on to WA and I didn't see them so they must be between Florence and Crescent City, CA!
ReplyDeleteYour photo's are great!
I love your last backlit photo of the bridge! Very well done.
ReplyDeleteSusan