We had a great Thanksgiving in Portland with our kids up there. Took Therapy and parked her in the street in front of John’s house. It worked great. We were able to be right there with the family and yet have our own space when we felt tired. Poppy went with us and was a very good dog (like always). John did most of the cooking with the rest of us just filling in a few gaps. I put some photos up on FB for the family, or anyone else who is interested.
Last Saturday we had a Civil War party at my sister, Laila’s house. Along with her hubby, Brian, we had a great time watching the Ducks chew up the Beavers. Too bad we lost that one game to Stanford, but the Ducks should still get a good bowl berth…probably the Fiesta Bowl.
Us four oldsters decided we had not had quite enough Thanksgiving, so today we got together for another TG dinner! It was a surprise for Brian and Laila as they had gone out on Thanksgiving and their meal was less than stellar. We made up for that today.
I had the grocery store cut a turkey in half so that we wouldn’t have so many leftovers and it worked just great. We had turkey, stuffing, mashed taters and gravy, yams, homemade applesauce, home made cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, fruit salad, raspberry whip (mousse), and yeast rolls. It was all SO good and it was nice to have a meal with my sister. I only wish my brother and his wife lived closer so we could have shared with them as well.
It was fun to get out the Christmas dishes and make a big spread, but boy, am I tired!! Not quite as easy as it used to be!!
No one went away hungry and after dinner, as is our Thanksgiving custom, we watched National Lampoon’s “Christmas Vacation.” It’s a movie you either love or hate and we just happen to love it. So freakin’ funny!!
Updates to this blog may be sporadic for the foreseeable future. Have to come to some decisions about how I want to proceed. I may not comment as much as usual, but I do enjoy reading and keeping up with what you all are doing out there.
Have a wonderful holiday season and Happy "2nd" Thanksgiving.
We love to read about what you are oing. Sometimes a break is needed.
ReplyDeleteDonna,
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful holiday table! Really, the table and the food looks wonderful. There's nothing like sharing a holiday meal with loved ones. Been in a bit of a funk myself lately; unusual as the holidays don't typically affect me that way, but there it is anyway. Hope you'll keep in touch, whatever you decide. Hugs . . .
The boys sure look like they are enjoying that ballgame...drinks, food and football...heaven!
ReplyDeleteHope all is well, Donna. Sorry you won't be blogging as much as before. We always enjoy reading what you, Russ and the family are up to. Those grandkids of yours have become part of our family too.
What a beautiful table setting ..... Soooooo festive ...... Please know that I am late to the party but I enjoy your blog so much ..... Sure hope you will continue after a break ..... One of my favorites !!!! Some people just know how to share and tell a story and that is YOU !!!! Thanks so much for your time and effort, I so enjoyed your sharing .....
ReplyDeleteI love your header photo. It's absolutely gorgeous!!
ReplyDeleteInterests have a habit of ebbing & flowing Donna & things have a habit of changing. Decisions are not always easy & I can identify with those 'Funk' feelings of yours. Good for you in standing up & mentioning that. I don't comment on a whole lot of blogs anymore like I once did & I'm afraid my blog reading has gone downhill as well. Like you, it's all part of that ebb & flow now at this stage. Whatever you decide to do, know that nothing is forever. Take care, wish you well and all the best to that Russ guy too:)) ,
ReplyDeleteTHERE u are!!! Missed seeing u show up on my blog roll. Sorry u are having probs, hope all is well soon....o!oo that dinner looked REALLY good, i too had to get a small turnkey to have leftovers for INDIAN CURRY, but we did not have all the extras..
ReplyDeleteI think there is a certain curvature of the brain (warped mind) involved in watching Christmas Vacation. I've lost count, but I will watch it again when it comes on. Love it.
ReplyDeleteSince I enjoy the foods of Thanksgiving, I am ready to celebrate again!
ReplyDeleteLove that header photo!! :)
nice looking dinner you prepared Donna! we love that movie..gotta love the Griswald's!
ReplyDeleteas for not reading or bloggin much..it happens to all of us! hang in there, hope you are feeling better soon!
I have missed you, Donna. I'm sorry about your tendonitis. Funks I know about, and I know it's next to impossible to write in the middle of one. You, however, seem to be making happy memories of the holidays with good food and good company.
ReplyDeleteFor selfish reasons, I miss reading your blog and reading your comments on other blogs but as Al said, blogs are one of those things that come and go. You have a gift for writing so I hope to be reading more from you in the future. Maybe when you and Russ hit the road, again.
I'm with another poster. The picture up top is incredible. I may just have to try to find your October 7 blog to find out where it was taken--curiosity will kill the cat if I don't.
Take care and feel better.
That header photo was taken in 2007 before I started blogging. It is June Lake off Hwy 395 in the high sierras of California. It is a beautiful area, as most anything is along 395 on the eastern side of the sierras.
DeleteWe nall need a break from things ... no matter how much we enjoy doing them. Interests come and go, and life has a way of taking over at times. I hope you continue to post once in a while ... you would be missed if you go cold turkey (couldn't resist that one seeing as how this is TG x2).
ReplyDeleteLooks like a wonderful meal, Donna. Great to spend time with family. We, too, love the Griswald's Christmas vacation. Sure do miss your posts! I love how you write. Hope you are feeling better soon! God bless.
ReplyDeleteYou were my first and best "support team" for my own blog and I've always appreciated that so much. I've missed seeing yours lately. I'll look forward to your posts when they come. You are a special person. Take Care.
ReplyDeleteDonna, just know that we all understand that funk stuff and we'll be here when you post if you want to post. Since we are sitting in one place for so long I really have nothing to write about. We are just living life.
ReplyDeleteDonna, sorry to hear your blogs may be sporadic in the future. You are a great writer and I always enjoy reading your posts.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful table, delicious food and family-not much more a person could ask for. Glad a good time was had by all. Sorry ur in a funk !but understand completely. This time of year does it for me, although it's actually my favorite-just miss all my family that's passed on I guess. I must join everyone above in saying how much I enjoy ur posts! Hate to hear they may be sporadic but understand that as well. I started out on mine and have all but quit-somehow life seems to get in the way of my blogging. Been trying to go back and post by the month but having trouble with pictures-I'm just not tech-minded I guess. The few I got on there were pretty much by mistake. lol Do take care of urself, Russ and sweet Poppy. I always hate to hear of folks having to get off the road, partially because I'd love so much to get out there more but u must do what is right for u. That tendonitis can be a real patootie. Hope ur rid of it soon. Prayers for u all.
ReplyDeleteI hope everything is okay with you guys. It looks like you had a really nice Thanksgiving - twice! There is just nothing like a home cooked Thanksgiving dinner with family and/or friends, is there? Even Christmas - it's just too complicated with all the gifts, and Thanksgiving is so much easier.
ReplyDeleteI hope to see you on my blog roll from time to time, I love keeping up with you and Russ and your activities. Even if it was just a little bit. :)
The wise and esteemed Wild Cherry once said something like 'play that funky music, white girl.' You may have to lay down the boogie, though.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear things aren't as sunny as usual for you. It's not surprising, of course, especially this year.
It has always been a challenge for me to keep the blues at arm's length when the nights get so long and the days are so gray.