October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

We're Home Early - Rusty not well

We had to leave Fort Stevens State Park early this morning to come home - how we got to Fort Stevens instead of the Deschutes campground is another whole story but I will tell it at a later time.  We loved Fort Stevens but will also write about that in a few days.

We came home because Rusty is not doing well at all.  He has been having a lot of trouble with his back legs and last night he woke us up with a scream of pain.  Couldn't see anything wrong but Rusty has NEVER made a noise like that in his entire life.  He is in the hospital tonight while the vet runs some tests and tries to figure out what is going on.  We thought it was just his back - and yes, that is the biggest part of it - but the vet says there is something going on with his intestines and he should get the blood work back tomorrow.  In the meantime, he cannot treat his back with medication as most of those drugs tend to be hard on the intestines.



So right now Rusty is floating on a cloud of anti-anxiety and muscle relaxant meds and according to the vet, resting comfortably.  He wants him to just chill out and not move around much tonight so I had to leave him.   THAT WAS HARD!  The vet did do an exam on his back legs while we were there and said Rusty has paraparesis in his hind legs - basically, his brain no longer knows where his hind legs are.  It will eventually lead to full paralysis.  Rusty has been getting more and more clumsy with his hind legs for some time and shows marked weakness when he gets up and down.  He often crosses his hind feet when he walks has a hard time getting up steps.  Sometimes he has a hard time staying upright when he lifts his leg.



The vet says he is not ready to give up on him yet and neither am I.  Rusty is 14 years old but he is a medium sized mixed breed and that might mean a longer life span than for the larger breeds.  I will not see him suffer but if he can be treated and at least have a little mobility, I cannot let him go yet.  Just not ready.

I do think that Rusty's travel days are over.  I can see where riding in the motor home makes him so tired and sore.  His routine is upset and that's hard on old guys.  I tried to point out a little garter snake to him on Monday and he just couldn't see it.  He saw the movement of a squirrel running across the trail but then the squirrel sat still on a log and Rusty could not see him.  It is so sad to see him deteriorate so quickly.  Seems like only last month he was running around having a great time.  I know old age has been coming on, but it just seems to have speeded up lately.

I will write an update on his condition when I know more.   Travel blogs are on the back burner for a few days.



24 comments:

  1. Oh, i am sorry, hope it all works out ok. Take Care of you and your fur babies....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, Donna, it's so very hard to go through this. But then what would we do if we didn't have them? Sending good thoughts to you and Russ and Rusty. I loved the puppy photo with Russ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are hoping that the Vet comes up with a positive solution:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My post got lost. Donna and Russ, I'm at a loss for words. There's hope. Everyone gave up on my Jack several months back, and he's happy as a clam, today. I wish the same for Rusty--such a pretty pup. Healing thoughts sent his way.

    I'll watch to hear. Sounds like you have an excellent vet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rusty is lucky to have you and Russ for 'parents'..we hope he will be home soon..take care of each other..{{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear your Rusty isn't well, I know how hard it is when our pets get older and begin to have health issues. I am hoping the vet help him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great picture of Russ and Rusty. I hope you get some positive news from the vet. Thinking of you, Donna and Russ!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to have to make decisions about pets as they get older. I hope his pain is not too bad and he can get better for a little more time in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rusty seemed just fine when I saw him just a few weeks ago. I'm so sorry - I know you and Russ just love your pups! My thoughts are with you guys and with Rusty. He's such a good dog. I'm praying for his recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Rusty. So sorry to hear he's in the hospital. He is very lucky to have such great parents willing to do anything to help him get better.

    Here's hoping the Vet comes up with a treatment that will see Rusty come home very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's really not much I can say that hasn't been said, but know that we're thinking of you guys and the pups. Hope there's some good news in the next day or so. Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to read this Donna,
    We will be thinking of you all today. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's really tough when a best pal reaches the end of his road and your not ready for it. Hope he can have a little more time without pain.Be safe out there. Sam & Donna....

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about your ailing furkid. Hope he's comfortable at the vet and that there is some treatment that will allow him to be with you for a while yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really sorry to hear about Rusty. I do hope that the vet can help him out. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a shame about Rusty. I hope things take a turn for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Old age creeps up on all of us, furry and non-furry. Rusty is fortunate to have such concerned caregivers as you, and will benefit from your care and concern. Just know he will!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its so hard to see our family pets suffer, then so sad to finally have to say good-bye. Ive been through it too many times. Yes, please keep us posted on Rustys condition.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw, you guys, I am so sorry... I hope for the best for all of you! I have been in your shoes many times with pet family members and I know how those shoes squeeze the heart strings too tightly.

    Saying prayers for all of you...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so sorry to hear about Rusty's legs and aging difficulties. It so hard to watch our special friends getting older and having difficulties. I so understand your feelings (went through this 2 years ago with my 18 year old Shih Tzu). We are thinking of you and we'll say a prayer for Rusty!! Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We are hoping for the very best for Rusty. We know how difficult these things are since we went thru it a couple of years ago....

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so sorry to read about Rusty. It really is heartbreaking for our little fur kids. I can understand wanting to be closer to him in case something happens.

    ReplyDelete