Yesterday we had the Eugene girls over. Arwen, our DIL, was working on setting up her class room and Josh, our son, needed to get some sleep before his late shift at the hospital. So the girls spent the day at our house.
BTW, just a quick shout out to teachers. They put in so much time that the public never sees and most are dedicated to their profession. After spending the first half of her day, and most of last week, organizing her new classroom (she had to move rooms this year), Arwen then went down town to our local Eugene Celebration and helped in a Eugene Education Association booth that was giving away books. Thank you teachers (and former teachers).
So, first stop with the girls was a trip to the farm. I’ve posted photos of the farm before so didn’t take any this trip. The girls went to visit and feed the goats while I loaded my basket with fresh produce. I got sweet corn, green beans, new potatoes, nectarines, peaches, plums, raspberries, blueberries, and a few other things I can’t remember! Most of it was locally grown and I feel so fortunate to live in an area where we can get fresh local produce. I really wanted some of their homegrown blackberries but there is just something about paying for blackberries that makes me queasy! I can go out and pick them for free – now if I just would do that!!
So we had quite a feast for lunch – green beans simmered with onions, new potatoes, and bacon, and fresh corn on the cob. The girls shucked their own corn and had a great time doing it. We nibbled on fresh berries for dessert.
.
Grandpa was kinda tired yesterday and I feared he would not really enjoy his time with the girls. But I was wrong. Miss Emmie had brought her marbles with her! She and Grandpa have a thing about marbles…she likes to win them and he can’t seem to stop her!
So the line was drawn in the sand (okay maybe it was carpet) and the shooters came out. Grandpa’s stash of marbles has become much smaller over the last year or two while Emmie’s just continues to grow. I told her Grandpa didn't have too many marbles left and she said, “That’s okay, you can just buy him some more.”
Game on! Of course Emmie has the biggest shooter you ever saw and she uses it like a bowling ball. Behind that smiling face lies the heart of a true marble shark!
Even though Rusty tried to help, Grandpa was outclassed.
His frustration was beginning to show and Emmie just became more serene!
So while Grandpa and Emmie played marbles, Miss Cailin nestled amongst the quilts and blankets that perpetually adorn my sofa and demonstrated what she has been practicing on the guitar.
And now a short video to show you just how Grandpa lost his marbles.
Okay, I messed up!! Made the video with no sound track and now I can't seem to get rid of this link. Grrr...ever have one of those days? Oh, well...ignore this video, it's the same one as above only silent!
Poor grandpa! I lost my marbles so long ago I can't even remember. :)
ReplyDeleteThat is absolutely hilarious. Grampy did get in one shot. Don't you wish you could move around like her?
ReplyDeleteIs that giant shooter even legal? Just saying'! ;) That's one huge container of marbles. Well, at least Grandpa's marbles were passed on to the younger generation.
ReplyDeleteI agree with michael. I don't ever get down on the floor any more!
ReplyDeleteVery funny! I wonder if I ever had any marbles:)
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool! A kiddo that plays marbles! And the plays guitar... How homespun can you get!
ReplyDeletelove it!!!
we know that Russ lost his marbles along time ago!..great post...and nice to see the 'old games' that your 'girls' play!!!
ReplyDeleteThere are marbles ... and then there are marbles ... some are easier to lose than others :-))) Sounds like you had a really good day with the grands.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reposting the video with sound as we got to hear the guitar in the background. We'll all lose our marbles someday I suppose, sure hope Russ managed to keep at least some of his!!
ReplyDeleteI was about to comment that yes, there was sound, then I see that you followed up with an explanation. Whenever I have to get down on the floor, getting up is a true challenge. That's why when I do get down for something, I look around for something else to do when I am down there! (Yeah, I know, old stale joke, but it's true!)
ReplyDeleteLooks like a grand day with the girls. I'm like grandpa, I lost my marbles, oh wait, did I ever have any?
ReplyDeleteA grandpa that still plays marbles is pretty cool in my book! such great kids, Donna, and they are lucky to have you two in their lives.
ReplyDelete