October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Clarification and the End of Summer

In re-reading my post of last night and the comments that followed, I just wanted to make sure I was not leading anyone astray!  First, thank you all so much for your supportive comments.  The encouragement is much appreciated.  I have a feeling the next few months/years may be a challenging time for us.

Yes, we definitely want to sell the house but we are NOT at this time planning on becoming full-timers (although nothing is outside the realm of possibility!).  We just really need to downsize and get something we can manage from our physical and financial resources.  I still feel the need of someplace I can go home to, but who knows what a year may bring.  We have learned to never say never!!

And now on to the end of summer.  It feels like summer is ending all too quickly this year…perhaps because it just got started??  We had the Portland girls, Anna and Bekah, for their last visit of the season last week.  They were only here for three days and we took them home on Wednesday.  Now we are busy getting the motor home waxed and stocked and ready to roll this Saturday for a 1 week camping trip.  Really looking forward to that.  After that we are home for about 10 days and then off on our long September trip.

So here’s what our last few days were like.  We tried to pack in as many memories as we could knowing that this may have to last a while.  We went miniature golfing on Sunday.

golf girls

grandpa golfs

It’s a great miniature Golf Course – our favorite river-side pizza parlor is at the back of the lot, but the neighborhood is not the greatest.  This is what is across the street from the golf course.  Glad it was closed on Sunday!!  Click to enlarge.
P1040532

And a couple of doors down from that wonderful shop is the building where Russ worked many years ago.  This used to be the headquarters for a local petroleum company, before the Big Guys put all the Little Guys out of business.  Russ was the controller for Sunny Service Stations for about 7 years and he is still friends with the former owner of the business.  It was a great local company for many years and probably Russ’s favorite job ever.  The neighborhood was nicer then too!!

P1040537

After golfing we had pizza at Roaring Rapids but I have posted photos of that before so didn’t take any new ones.

Monday we went to a movie and then roamed the mall for a bit.

mall rats

The girls wanted to try out the massage chairs in the middle of the mall.

P1040585

It was fine until Grandpa decided he wanted to join them.

P1040586

Tuesday we had a final girl’s swim – probably the last one of the summer.

last swim

Several years ago, when my first two grandsons were small, I bought a 3/4 size guitar.  I always wanted to encourage the kids in the pursuit of music and Mike showed great promise in stringed instruments.  However, he never really took to the guitar so I got it back.  Over the years it has gone from one grandchild to another and no one ever liked it enough to do much with it.  I was ready to sell it on Craig's List when Cailin decided she would like to give it another try.  This has been quite a few months ago and I haven’t seen any evidence of her continuing interest in the guitar.  HOWEVER, just when I was about to give up hope, Cailin’s Uncle Barry (on her mother’s side) came from Texas for a visit last weekend.  Seems Uncle Barry is quite gifted on the guitar and after a long weekend, had taught Cailin a few things.  She brought her guitar over on Tuesday to show me what she had learned in a few short days.  I was so impressed and SO HAPPY that someone was finally getting some use out of the guitar.  So take a look at a proud Grandma’s video of Cailin showing me what she has learned.  She is already quite good on the piano and I think she has a lot of promise on her second instrument as well.  Remember, last week at this time she couldn't play anything on the guitar!



And another talented youngster…I swear there are no special effects here other than the sound effects I added!!  I know, it's just too precious for words ...


So although it’s been short, it has been a great summer.  I don’t know what next summer will bring, but whatever it is, I’ll be ready…and you can be sure it will involve family.

8 comments:

  1. nice recap Donna..no clarification was necessary.. I knew what you meant..there comes a point in our life when we need to downsize and purge!!..You and Russ are great grandparents and the kids will have lovely memories from this summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful summer of memories with your grandkids! I also know that they will always cherish the times they spend with you guys as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandparents are so important in a child's life.

    That your granddaughter plays the piano and now is learning the guitar shows she has a talent for music. Some of us do, others don't. But each person has their own talent, just need to find out what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great videos! I especially liked their giggles. You've had a great summer and now on to your fall camping trips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My folks started downsizing after Dad retired and then continued to downsize as they got older. It made it so easy for us kids when they died and I will always be grateful to them for that. Hopefully, I will be doing the same thing for my son. I think it's one of those last wonderful things we can do for family. But that's my opinion. And it certainly won't change the love your family has for you. That's what it's all about - the love.

    I am so glad your granddaughter is giving the guitar another chance. I think every child needs to be exposed to musical instruments. They may not end up loving them, but you just never know when the next Bach or Elvis or Celine is born.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caitlan shows some real talent; that was a good country rhythm she had going there. As for the eyes -- well, Marty Feldman seems to have made a good living with his!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great summer windup with the 'Grands', I'm sure they'll remember it for years.

    We've always felt the need for a 'home' base as well. It seems to make our RV trips that much more fun and special when we take them - much like going camping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe I recognized that guitar rift Caitlan was playing right away as a Duane Eddy creation. It's been bugging me all morning that I haven't come up with the name of the tune yet!! I think she did really well to have picked that up in just a couple days. Took me about 2 years just to pick up half of that with my bass guitar many, many Moons ago.

    ReplyDelete