October 2014

October 2014
Day Trip to Oakridge Oct 2014

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Police DO care!

Here’s what happened:

Sunday morning we stopped for breakfast at Denny's before we made the drive to Portland.  As we were coming out of the restaurant, there was a car parked in the driveway right in front of the newspaper box.  A woman was loading all of the newspapers from the box into her car.

I thought it was a bit strange to be emptying the box of unsold papers at 9:30 in the morning but didn’t say anything.  As we walked back to our car, I said to Russ, “I think she was stealing those papers.”
This car had to pull through the parking lot in order to exit onto the street so I decided to follow her (I always thought it would be fun to be a detective!).  She went directly across the street to Elmer’s, another popular breakfast spot.  Darned if she didn’t go to their paper box and do the same thing.  I watched her put in just enough quarters for one paper and then she emptied the box and loaded the papers into her car.

This made me MAD!  Sure it’s just newspapers and on the surface, it appeared no one was getting hurt.  But someone WAS getting hurt.  This was someone’s livelihood she was taking.  Especially in this economy, how dare she take something that someone may have been depending on to put food on the table?  Russ wrote down a description of the car and license plate number and I took a good look at the woman so I would remember what she looked like.  If only we had taken a picture…but, we are only amateur detectives LOL!!

It’s been very interesting in the Eugene area lately.  The newspaper reports that crime is up and jail bed spaces are down.  Lane County reports that they cannot prosecute property crimes as they just don’t have the manpower.  Of course all this gets lots of press whenever there is a new tax measure on the ballot.  It has made us somewhat jaded regarding law enforcement in this area.

I have long ago accepted the fact that I can't change the world.  I can’t do much about all the idiots in Washington, except to vote.  I don’t rail against politics or politicians as I know my input is limited and I refuse to let them steal my joy.  I don’t even think too much about all the bad things that go on in the world because the sad fact is, I can do little to affect any of it.  But I can change MY world and when I see an injustice, no matter how small, that I KNOW I can do something about, then I feel I should do what I can.

I reported the theft to the Register Guard (the newspaper) the next day.  Russ didn’t think they would care and that reporting to the police would be a waste of time.  Yesterday I got a call back from the newspaper thanking me for the report and stating that they did take this type of thing seriously.  Today I got a call from a very nice officer of the Springfield Police Department verifying the details of my report.  He was very grateful that I had called and assured me they will follow up.  Guess the city of Springfield has more manpower than Lane County!

I don’t know what will happen to this person.  The police officer told me that the car is registered to an address in Salem.  I think this woman may have a small store and was reselling the papers she stole – why else would someone steal a bunch of newspapers?  Can’t beat 100% profit!  But even if the police only give her a good scare, maybe she will think twice next time.  At any rate, I am glad to know that, at least in Springfield, the police do care.

19 comments:

  1. Good detective work! I'm glad you reported the crime. If we each do our part, we can (in a limited way) help out our law enforcement agencies.

    Our neighborhood just joined the Neighborhood Watch program, and it's made a difference in preventing small crimes and criminal mischief crimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with everything you said. Good for you! If everyone was observant and watched out for their neighbor, it would be a far better world. I used to work for a newspaper, and believe me, it DID hurt the route person. They pay for their papers, and earn income from the small profits, so not only would they not earn the income, they would be out the amount they paid.
    Good Karma for you, bad Karma for her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Some folks have the nerve now don't they???? You certainly did the right thing and I say "good for you!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Donna and Russ! Too many don't want to get involved, but really, what did it cost you! One phone call. You are on our good guys list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy Drew step aside ... we have Donna and Russ now. Joking aside, you done good and it's great to hear that the police do care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have found a new side job!..great detective work!!..now if only you had a camera!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 'Caped Crusaders', I can see it now! Cruising around town looking for newspaper thieves in 'Gotham'!

    Good for you guys for being such great citizens. Blogland will sleep better tonight knowing you and Russ are on guard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hay... Doing my job for me? Love it! Crime, like many things is inflationary. Today the paper, tomorrow the bank!

    Good job!

    www.Alertid.me is now being used by all Nevada Police agencies. Going national soon. Dept. of Homeland Security has given them Neighborhood watch and it will soon be integrated into their system and available everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really is good to know that the police did care enough to follow up on this. And I am really proud of you guys for reporting it. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most people would ignore this even if they thought she was stealing. You did the right thing turning in a report. Remember when we all looked out for each other and we could leave the keys i the car out front!

    Well at least my mother could.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you guys in doing the right thing & I do share your views about what's going on in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kudos to both of you! I wonder how much theft factors into inflation?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you doing the right thing and I agree how dare she take them... I hope she gets a huge fine!!!
    Have fun & Travel safe
    Mr & Mrs Detective
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. WTG Detective Donna!

    And I would have done the very same thing! I think of myself as very absorbent/nosey so I prolly would have noticed the little robber girl too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It’s so nice to hear of people doing what they know is correct. Good for you for taking action, you are an inspiration!!!

    John
    relaxedrush.blogspot.com
    connectedtothevinephotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Donna... I enjoy your blog.. my 2 cents worth? She's a COUPONER! We went to a "garage" sale recently, the young woman was selling dozens of dept. store cosmetics, baby items, hair care.. etc.. that she had gotten free. I think the key was that it was Sunday, when all the coupons are printed. I hope they catch her; that's just wrong! Thanks, Peggy.

    ReplyDelete